• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with ID? (1 Viewer)

Joan & Matt

Hello, it's nice to join you! And to start off, we're stumped here! These two birds are new to our feeders. They're eating bugs and sunflower chips all the live-long day. Having trouble figuring out exactly what they are: Warblers? Vireos? Exactly what kind? Everytime we think we have it pegged, something in the books doesn't match. 73p is about 7", 53p is a bit smaller and noticable chunkier. Many thanks!

Attachments

• dsc01573p.jpg
    dsc01573p.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 369
I don't think the bill is decurved or thin enough to be Orchard Oriole. Still looks Oriole-ish to me.

dennis

First of all, on behalf of all the moderators and admin. welcome to BF! I believe it is a "female" western tanager. Lucky you.

Ah, those females are a tricky lot! Never realized till now how similar the female orioles and female Western Tanager were.

dennis

Thanks, female Western Tanager it is. She is distinctly different in beak and aspect from the orchard orioles around here. Isn't she a bit east for her range? - hope she has a mate in the vicinity, that would be a real treat for us! To see a male western tanager around here would be heavenly.

J.$ M.

Definitely an Oriole, probably Orchard, possibly first-summer female Baltimore (hard to judge size from this photo!).

A Western Tanager has a bill which stays thicker toward the tip, not sharp awl-shaped like this, and also orange/pink in colour, not steel-grey like this. The tail is also too long for a Tanager.

Michael

There you go ,Joan and Matt. Just when you thought you had a very exciting new bird for your area some 'doom and gloom merchant' has to burst your bubble. Happens all the time.
I can't offer any advice at all being in Australia but I can sympathise with you. If you want it to be a Tanniger then it IS ONE.

It's not a tanager, bill is too tapered and conical; tanagers are stouter and slightly 'hooked', closer to a sparrow's bill. It's not a Baltimore, because the underside is all yellow. I vote for female Orchard Oriole, slightly rumpled, and a little dirty on her face.

Good birding, and may tomorrow bring you a lifer (I got one yesterday: Tricolor (Yellow-rumped) Flycatcher. Yahoo!)

Interesting bird. I would agree with Charles that it's a female Orchard Oriole, but you say that you're familiar with the species and it's different from the others. In which case the only other option is Northern/Baltimore. Northerns are about 2 inches bigger than Orchards so If there was distinct size difference go with Northern, if not, stick with Orchard.

Darrell

Looks like a young Orchard Oriole. Balt. Orioles always show an orange wash across the body, this bird is obviously yellow. ~GECSOS

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back