• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another puzzling Pipit (1 Viewer)

Darrell Clegg

I don't need an ID, but how many pipits have you seen like this?

This Rock Pipit has been hanging around Hannafore most of the winter but I have only just managed to get a photo of it that does it justice.

has anyone any idea what race of Rock Pipit is this brown with such well defined streaking? kleinschmidti and meinertzhageni should be darker than petrosus I've included a photo of littoralis taken on the same day to show the difference.

Does anyone have any expericence of the French forms - ponens and immutabilis said to be paler and browner above and paler below with less distinct dark streaks than petrosus

Darrell

Attachments

• rock pipit medium.JPG
    rock pipit medium.JPG
    255.8 KB · Views: 397
  • scan rock medium.JPG
    scan rock medium.JPG
    287 KB · Views: 264
It does look very pale for a Rock Pipit, though I have no experience of the French forms. What colour were the outer tail feathers?

Stuart

Stuart, Jane,

The outer tail feathers are the usual grey, and the rump is the same as the mantle and scapulars - sort of golden brown rather than chestnut.

Darrell

If this bird was one of those Rocks that showed white outer webs, with a mantle that brown it would be passed off as a Water Pipit I suspect!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back