• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Indian Pipit (Video-Clip) (1 Viewer)

Tom, you probably need to wait for an expert on Eastern Pipits. I've never seen Rosy, and to compound things, by ID guides to SE Asia are packed away. However I'm not seeing what I expect a Rosy Pipit to look like here. I wait to be educated

If your bird had dark lores I'd be thinking it was a Tawny Pipit - though I'm not sure if they occur on Goa. If it had a larger bill I'd be thinking it was a Long-billed Pipit. It certainly has the look of a large(ish) pipit. Rosy strikes me as a Red-throat meet Water pipit type bird. Streaky in any plumage and not a "big" pipit As I say without experience of the species concerned and withou any literature I'm a bit handicapped!

Last edited:
Rosy Pipit has never been recorded in Goa (to my knowledge). The bird is obviously quite washed with colour on the underparts but this is a potential pitfall in North Goa; the soil on the coastal strip is volcanic and can be very red in colour. Malabar Larks often become stained and look orangey underneath (leading to claims of Syke's Lark). I'd say the bird is a Paddyfield Pipit, supported by the call which can be made out on the clip (a repeated chip/chep).
I've only limited experience of Rosy, but as Jane says, the generally impression I had was of a smaller streaky Red-throated type - certainly not a largeish pale backed bird as in the video.
The lores look fairly pale when the bird is head on and the general feel of the bird doesn't say Tawny Pipit to me. (Tawny Pipit is a scarce but fairly regular bird on the Goa coast in winter - they're not usually in sea level cultivated fields, more usually on the stoney volcanic hilltops).
So I'd go for almost certain Paddyfield, Tawny as an outsider (depandent on how accurate the video portrays the bird), but definietly not Rosy.

I knew there was another Tawny type out there and couldn't for the life of me remember what it was called. Paddyfield Pipit looks like a great call.

I'd agree with Paddyfield Pipit. Rosy in summer would be much pinker on the breast (kinda like Water Pipit i think) and more heavily marked above. Not extensively buff!! Also seem to remember Rosy Pipit has a greyer head and is generally very similar to Water Pipit. The colour saturation underneath would be the other around, with a pinkish breast grading to whitish belly and vent, not the buff belly and vent shown here.
In winter, Rosy would be extensively streaked underneath.

Been lucky enough to see a few Rosy in the last couple of years and i'd say (among other points mentioned) that the bill looks too pale for Rosy Pipit; Rosy's bill is rather dark - a feature not mentioned in the field guides, i think. I can kind of see why it's labelled Rosy though... esp the long downcurled super.

as for what it is, well, Paddyfield is the first choice but it's hard to see much at all.

Same here, the headpattern is very open, hardly any lore visible (that s a no for Tawny Pipit as well), no dark earcoverts as in Rosy, no contrasting light supercilium with all the rest of its surrounding head as in Rosy,no dark upperparts with strong patterning as in Rosy, but paler grey brown upperparts as in e.g Tawny, Richards, Long-billed and Paddyfield, with poor marking as in those four mentioned as well.
These markings are hardly there in Tawny (and not in Long billed) and too strong in Blyths, compared witht his bird (its like Richards) .
Its indeed most right for Paddyfield

Whatever it ll be for me later, no Rosy pipit.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back