• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Melanistic yellow-legged Gull or not? (1 Viewer)

Mugil

crni_galeb.jpg

I did this digiscoping photo in Secovlje Salina (Slovenia) 4.7.2003. The specimen was in the flock together with all age Larus cachinnans roosting in a basin. I presume that it is only a melanistic gull not some other species. But?

The other possibility that always has to be borne in mind - is it a normal bird, that tried to wash itself in a puddle of ink (or other pollutant)?

Michael

Hi all,
While it may just be dark due to its plumage being stained,the bill seems to be unmarked,suggesting that melanism would be a more likely explanation?
Harry H

Hi Harry,

I thought the bill did look a bit darker/greyer than the other gulls around it. But I guess too, being a hard, smooth surface, it wouldn't stain as well as feathers. It'd be interesting to see the legs.

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back