• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newbie- Please help! (1 Viewer)

dakso99

Hi! This is my first day here and I found you by searching for this hilarious bird that loves my pool & deck. He just stares at me & sits on the chairs and volleyball net & swings back & forth. Is it a juv. yellow crowned night heron? This is the closest match I can find- the eyes are turning red now & the beak has a light band before the black. They eat those ugly horned beetles and come back for mid-summer every year.

Thanks so much! I love this place!

Attachments

• dsc00491.jpg
    dsc00491.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 330
Hi Dakso,

Welcome to BirdForum!

Nearly right - I'd say you have a juvenile Black-crowned Night Heron. The white spotting on the wings is a character of this species, whereas Yellow-crowned only has tiny white spots. Also the pale base to the beak is right for Black-crowned, wrong for Yellow-crowned (all-black bill)

Lucky you!

Michael

Hmmm . . . now I'm not so sure after all!

The neck is long and thin - that's right for Yellow-crowned, not so good for Black-crowned! Maybe it is Yellow-crowned after all.

Michael

Thanks so much guys! The black-crowned looked shorter & stockier in pics, I can't believe what the mature bird looks like! I hope he keeps coming as an adult!

Dawn

I think it's also a yellow-crowned. Even at full hunting stretch, I've never seen a black-crowned's neck that long. This guy's neck looks relaxed and is still quite long. And as has already been pointed out, the neck is quite slender. Black-crowneds to me are overall just a much stockier bird. At least the b-cs in CA compared to the y-cs in Mexico.

Hope he hangs around, too! And welcome to the forum. Isn't this just the coolest place? Well, I think so, anyway! :)

Katy

Hi Dawn,

Glad we got the ID sorted out. It's certainly an unusual and striking bird to have as a yard visitor.

On behalf of Admin and the Moderators, I like to welcome you to Bird Forum. I hope that you like the site. Feel free to hang around a while and browse through the site. We have briders from throughout the World.

This month we're running a fun competition for the most humorous bird photo and it sounds as if your visitor may be an ideal subject.

See you around.

Thanks so much everyone! I wish my husband loved birds as much as I do- I have a sparrow in my yard that has nested 4 times already in my bird house & I talk to the babies when I am outside. They stick their heads out and peep at me all day. Birds are just the most innocent and beautiful animals! Of course I have an African Grey for a few years now that adores my husband- Anyway, again this place is great!

Dawn

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back