• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

?lesser kestrel, Ioannina, Greece (1 Viewer)

marnixR

WYSIWYG
i saw large numbers of these birds of prey on 22 august over the harbour and castle area of Ioannina, and because of the ninth paragraph of the following article i suspect that they may be a congregation of lesser kestrel

are the attached pictures sufficient to confirm ? i must admit that they're of rather poor quality, given the fading evening light

Attachments

• IMG_9727.JPG
    IMG_9727.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_9732.JPG
    IMG_9732.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_9757.JPG
    IMG_9757.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Img_9760.jpg
    Img_9760.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 62
  • Img_9761.jpg
    Img_9761.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 32
There is detail in a couple of those shots and they look Lesser to me, the wing is more ‘pointed’ imo and the communal crepuscular feeding is common:t:

Laurie -

The long outermost primary in all of these birds looks good for Lesser Kestrel indeed.

I can't see anything definitive of Lesser ketsrel in the pics but behaviour is highly suggestive.

There is detail in a couple of those shots and they look Lesser to me, the wing is more ‘pointed’ imo and the communal crepuscular feeding is common:t:

Laurie -

thanks for the replies -I’m just sorry that I didn’t have a better camera with me

no, I’m sorry - I don’t remember hearing any particular call
I’m not saying there weren’t any calls, I just don’t recall hearing them on a conscious level

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back