• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grebe Sp. Whitburn UK (1 Viewer)

Adam W

Awful photo's I know but does anyone have any thoughts on this Grebe, size alone seemed to rule out all but Great crested or Red Necked but I didnt really get a Great Crested feel from it, It seemed to short necked and dusky coloured.

Attachments

• tn_027.JPG
    tn_027.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 159
  • tn_026.JPG
    tn_026.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 131
  • tn_025.JPG
    tn_025.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 227
The last photo does look promising - Also, I imagine you're well experienced with GC Grebe in the field Adam, so if your gut says its not one, it probably isn't

The last photo does look promising - Also, I imagine you're well experienced with GC Grebe in the field Adam, so if your gut says its not one, it probably isn't

I suppose it depends how you define well experienced but yes I have seen plenty including quite a few distant birds in coastal habitats like this bird so I think I can settle on Red Necked.

Thanks for the input everyone.

The build (thickish neck, somewhat sturdy bill and a body shape more like a Slavs) coupled with a dark neck and pale/ white cheek in the last photo are spot on for Red-necked.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back