• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird eating an apple!!! (1 Viewer)

HelenB

Opus Editor and Expat from Cumbria
Opus Editor
Spring migration is full swing now in Texas, and the first north bound Ruby-throated Hummingbird arrived on 12th March. I still have one wintering female Rufous hummingbird - she will be leaving very soon for her summer breeding grounds in the Pacific North-west.

This morning I watched as a male Ruby-throated Hummingbird went to the apple I have out for the Northern Mockingbirds. He appeared to be feeding - there was most probably some sweet apple juice collecting in the hollow that the mockingbirds have made. Snapped a couple of photos of the hummer & the mocker - take a look here:
http://helensbirds.homestead.com/RTHUapple.html

cute pics Helen- I'm wondering if there are fruit flies around the apple that the hummingbird could be feeding on- they're drawn to the fruit flies around the fruit and jelly I place out for the B. Orioles in the spring. Only another month til they're here, thanks for sharing the pics :)

Great capture Helen. I wonder if it was getting desperate for an energy recharge after a long flight and made do with whatever it could find.

That is really neat Helen and your photos are great. I can't get my mockers to touch an apple but I think I will hang one and see if the hummers like it.

Thanks for the nice comments about the photos, everyone. Amazing how Photoshop helps sharpen things up!!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back