• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

?ringed plover, St.Davids, West Wales (1 Viewer)

marnixR

WYSIWYG
saw the attached bird on the beach of Porth Henllys south of St.Davids, Pembrokeshire a few days ago
it doesn't seem to have the markings of a ringed plover, but i assume it could be a youngster ?

Attachments

• Img_4139.jpg
    Img_4139.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_4140.JPG
    IMG_4140.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 136
Hard to make out, but on a tidal beach, assume Common Ringed - it's very rare to get LRP on tidal sand, they are pretty strictly freshwater (unlike Common Ringed, which is happy with either but tends to prefer tidal).

you're probably right about it being a common ringed plover, although I have seen a little ringed plover nesting on a pebbly beach in Corsica on one occasion

Apologies to the OP for using this thread, but I was wondering about the enclosed pics, taken a couple of weeks ago in E Ireland.

Presume these are also juvenile RP but they seemed paler than the many other juvenile RP that were around, also much less active. I guess they could even be Dunlin?

Attachments

• jrp1.jpg
    jrp1.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 64
  • jrp2.jpg
    jrp2.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 49
Hard to make out, but on a tidal beach, assume Common Ringed - it's very rare to get LRP on tidal sand, they are pretty strictly freshwater (unlike Common Ringed, which is happy with either but tends to prefer tidal).

LRP certainly nests on beaches in Bulgaria.

Chris

Apologies to the OP for using this thread, but I was wondering about the enclosed pics, taken a couple of weeks ago in E Ireland.

Presume these are also juvenile RP but they seemed paler than the many other juvenile RP that were around, also much less active. I guess they could even be Dunlin?

In the first pic, the top left bird gives jizz of little ringed plover—even looks like it might have an eye ring. However, this is just an artefact: there's no white above the forehead black so it's ringed too.

The middle bird [centre one on 2] isn't a ringed plover at all. Could be dunlin as appears v slightly larger than the ringed plover in 2: if smaller then little stint would be an option [bill looks more like that in 1]. I can't say for sure what it is given these photos, though.

The ringed plovers are adult I think.

In the first pic, the top left bird gives jizz of little ringed plover—even looks like it might have an eye ring. However, this is just an artefact: there's no white above the forehead black so it's ringed too.

The middle bird [centre one on 2] isn't a ringed plover at all. Could be dunlin as appears v slightly larger than the ringed plover in 2: if smaller then little stint would be an option [bill looks more like that in 1]. I can't say for sure what it is given these photos, though.

The ringed plovers are adult I think.
Thanks Fern
Yes the adults are all Ringed rather than Little Ringed. It was the paler, less marked birds I was wondering about. There were plenty of more normal juvenile RP around but they are not in the pictures

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back