• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

September Moths (1 Viewer)

A few more pics - Oak Nycteoline, Lunar Underwing, L-album Wainscot (several in September), Nutmeg & Box-tree Moth (several in September).

Attachments

• 21 Oak Nycteoline 001.jpg
    21 Oak Nycteoline 001.jpg
    678.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 22 Lunar Underwing 001.jpg
    22 Lunar Underwing 001.jpg
    722.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 23 L-album Wainscot 001.jpg
    23 L-album Wainscot 001.jpg
    744.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 24 Nutmeg 001.jpg
    24 Nutmeg 001.jpg
    552.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 25 Box-tree Moth 001.jpg
    25 Box-tree Moth 001.jpg
    700.5 KB · Views: 1
Finally a dark Common Marbled Carpet (that got a careful check of the hindwings!), Pine Carpet, Grey Pine Carpet (a tricky slightly worn/plain one), Meal Moth & Prays ruficeps.

Attachments

• 26 Common Marbled Carpet 001.jpg
    26 Common Marbled Carpet 001.jpg
    720.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 27 Pine Carpet 002.jpg
    27 Pine Carpet 002.jpg
    1,003 KB · Views: 7
  • 28 Grey Pine Carpet 001.jpg
    28 Grey Pine Carpet 001.jpg
    814.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 29 Meal Moth 001.jpg
    29 Meal Moth 001.jpg
    653.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 30 Prays ruficeps.jpg
    30 Prays ruficeps.jpg
    504.2 KB · Views: 7
Lowest catch for ages, just 27 of 8 species, with no micros at all. Highlight was Light Emerald NFY, plus a latish Snout.

Being very urban I tend not to trap unless the forecast temperature is remaining above 11 or 12 C, so won't be doing much more this year.

Steve

Last night saw 123 of 14 macros, plus 1 Light Brown Apple Moth.

37 Setaceous Hebrew Character, 35 LYU, 26 Sq Spot Rustic.

Highlights were Pink-barred Sallow (nice wee beastie!) NFG , 3 Lunar Underwing and 2 Silver Y (first for September)

Last edited:
Nice pics Paul. Do you happen to have an image of the 'clinching feature' abdomen hairs (or a link) for the Radford's?

Some good moths there ;) . Are you close to the coast/prime habitat? I assume your mates garden must be!

Finally a dark Common Marbled Carpet (that got a careful check of the hindwings!), Pine Carpet, Grey Pine Carpet (a tricky slightly worn/plain one), Meal Moth & Prays ruficeps.

Checking for Dark Marbled Paul?

Here's one from Russia that I've tentatively got as DMC, what do you think?

Attachments

• Dark Marbled Carpet.jpg
    Dark Marbled Carpet.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 11
Nice pics Paul. Do you happen to have an image of the 'clinching feature' abdomen hairs (or a link) for the Radford's?

Some good moths there ;) . Are you close to the coast/prime habitat? I assume your mates garden must be!

He is closer to the coast than me. I am on the edge of town next to a rhine and about 400 yards from the Bristol Channel. A link here:-

https://britishlepidoptera.weebly.com/330-ochropleura-leucogaster-radfords-flame-shoulder.html

I'll try and get an image of Clancy.

All the best

Checking for Dark Marbled Paul?

Here's one from Russia that I've tentatively got as DMC, what do you think?

Yes. I thought that it was convincing at first but ended up on Common Marbled Carpet. I would say Common Marbled for yours too on the basis that the projection is not deep enough. I'll try and dig out my garden Dark Marbled Carpet pic. I've had two. It will be interesting to check them with hindsight.....

All the best

Dan

I attach a photo of the plate from Clancy which is an excellent reference and has Flame Shoulder and Radford's Flame Shoulder specimens side by side. Also two pics of our moth showing the abdomen and hairs. I kept it so someone could twitch it but sadly it expired in the fridge which was a shame as the county recorder had just confirmed that he was happy to accept on the photos.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Plate Clancy comparing Flame Shoulder & Radford's Flame Shoulder.jpg
    Plate Clancy comparing Flame Shoulder & Radford's Flame Shoulder.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Radford's Flame Shoulder (abdomen hairs).jpg
    Radford's Flame Shoulder (abdomen hairs).jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Radford's Flame Shoulder (abdomen hairs cropped).jpg
    Radford's Flame Shoulder (abdomen hairs cropped).jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 10
Andy

My two garden Dark Marbled Carpets were 8 August 2011 and 22 August 2018 and having revisited my photos, I remain happy with both records.

Pic one -2011 record - upperside forewing
Pic two - 2011 record - underside forewing
Pic three - 2011 record - underside hindwing
Pic four - 2018 record - upperside forewing
Pic five - underside forewing

It is all about the depth of the point on the postmedian line being less rounded and on the hindwing this is a v shape on the underside. Subtle but I remain happy.

https://britishlepidoptera.weebly.com/dysstroma.html

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Dark Marbled Carpet (2011) upperside forewing.JPG
    Dark Marbled Carpet (2011) upperside forewing.JPG
    324.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Dark Marbled Carpet (2011) underside forewing.JPG
    Dark Marbled Carpet (2011) underside forewing.JPG
    325.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Dark Marbled Carpet (2011) underside hindwing.JPG
    Dark Marbled Carpet (2011) underside hindwing.JPG
    335 KB · Views: 7
  • Dark Marbled Carpet (2018) upperside forewing.jpg
    Dark Marbled Carpet (2018) upperside forewing.jpg
    620.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Dark Marbled Carpet (2018) underside hindwing.jpg
    Dark Marbled Carpet (2018) underside hindwing.jpg
    679 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
In contrast, this year's dark Common Marbled Carpet has a more rounded less pointed postmedian line and a more U shaped underside to the hindwing.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Common Marbled Carpet (2020) upperside forewing.jpg
    Common Marbled Carpet (2020) upperside forewing.jpg
    632.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Common Marbled Carpet (2020) underside hindwing.JPG
    Common Marbled Carpet (2020) underside hindwing.JPG
    329.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Andy

My two garden Dark Marbled Carpets were 8 August 2011 and 22 August 2018 and having revisited my photos, I remain happy with both records.

Pic one -2011 record - upperside forewing
Pic two - 2011 record - underside forewing
Pic three - 2011 record - underside hindwing
Pic four - 2018 record - upperside forewing
Pic five - underside forewing

It is all about the depth of the point on the postmedian line being less rounded and on the hindwing this is a v shape on the underside. Subtle but I remain happy.

https://britishlepidoptera.weebly.com/dysstroma.html

All the best

Paul

Paul,
I thought mine looked pretty good as per waring, I thought that the angle of the rear edge of the dark, crossband, comes down from the leading edge of the wing in more of a curve in Common and in Dark, it's almost a right angle?

The depth of the 'W' in that same crossband is also deeper?

Last edited:
Paul,
I thought mine looked pretty good as per waring, I thought that the angle of the rear edge of the dark, crossband, comes down from the leading edge of the wing in more of a curve in Common and in Dark, it's almost a right angle?

The depth of the 'W' in that same crossband is also deeper?

You could well be right Andy. I suspect the variability of Common Marbled Carpet is the challenge. I was really thrown with the underside of the hindwing on mine this year making it Common Marbled. Maybe that led me to being too negative. I'll look later & try & compare the four moths - yours against my three. It will be a useful exercise.

Stay safe.

19/09. First trap for a bit (did a Scaly Cricket evening on Chesil on Friday). Over 4 hours I had 14 moths of 9 species between two traps (more in actinic than MV). New for the garden were singles of Black Rustic and Beaded Chestnut. First Common Marbled Carpet for a long time. The rest the usual.

19/09. First trap for a bit (did a Scaly Cricket evening on Chesil on Friday). Over 4 hours I had 14 moths of 9 species between two traps (more in actinic than MV). New for the garden were singles of Black Rustic and Beaded Chestnut. First Common Marbled Carpet for a long time. The rest the usual.

Images of cricketers with eczema spring to mind!

132 of 25 macros, plus another 6 of 5 micros last night.

Looks like 6 Large Ranunculus, 1 Feathered Ranunculus and 1 Black-banded (Nationally Scarce A and unusual away from the coast). Also Silver Y, 2 Dark Sword Grass, Rush Veneer and 2 Diamondback Moths, as well as a nice range of the usual stuff.

Bumped into a Vestal whilst cutting Blackthorn at nearby Treverva this afternoon too.

Unless I'm mistaken -

Pic 1 left to right; Large Ranunculus, Feathered Ranunculus f, Black-banded m
Pic 2 Black-banded
Pic 3 Black-banded hindwing
Pic 4 Diamondback
Pic 5 Rush Veneer

Attachments

• moths.jpg
    moths.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 6
  • black-banded.jpg
    black-banded.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 4
  • bb2.jpg
    bb2.jpg
    358.3 KB · Views: 4
  • diamondback.jpg
    diamondback.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 4
  • rush veneer.jpg
    rush veneer.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Dan

I attach a photo of the plate from Clancy which is an excellent reference and has Flame Shoulder and Radford's Flame Shoulder specimens side by side. Also two pics of our moth showing the abdomen and hairs. I kept it so someone could twitch it but sadly it expired in the fridge which was a shame as the county recorder had just confirmed that he was happy to accept on the photos.

All the best

Paul

Thanks Paul.

Do I understand that 835 is Flame Shoulder and 836 is Radford's Flame Shoulder? And we are talking about a paler (and with white hairs) on the dorsal surface of the abdomen (ie only visible by lifting the wings away) as opposed to the ventral surface (ie what you would see from looking underneath in a clear pot? Is there a difference between the two species at a glance looking at the underside of a moth in a clear pot?

Apologies for the questioning - I have seen wordy descriptions (some conflicting) in various resources for this elsewhere!

(Back in the summer when I was getting 10+ Flame Shoulders I should have analysed them better (including some long-winged individuals) to see variation in Flame Shoulder!!)

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back