• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

September Moths (1 Viewer)

I'm gonna move South................

Or try and get someone from Svalbard to join the forum. Or move south.

A lot of it relative though, seeing what others have been getting in Cornwall is a bit dispiriting in rarity terms - the Cornwall Facebook group includes Scilly so when they post something up it's usually a long list of rare immigrants and the like, and there seem to be some pretty good regular gardens in Cornwall ... (As an aside I notice the IOS has recorded its first Heath Rustic and first Sombre Brocade in the last two days which I find surprising).

Just been out to the trap and there's moths, but it's raining. Might be a case of opening the trap in the lounge again later.

It stayed around 16C all night here so I was hoping for an autumn bonanza, and wasn't disappointed. I have been moaning about the total lack of any sallow species so getting singles of both Orange and Barred was very nice, plus a Spruce Carpet was also NFY. And three pristine Black Rustics.

Nice to hear someone had a better night Steve.
It was warm, cloudy and only a light breeze hear so thought it would be good but very disappointing. 46 moths of 19 species. Nothing new and mostly the same as all recent nights. Orange Sallow was nice. Most attractive was a pristine Dark Pine Knot-horn Dioryctria abietella.

Looked like last night was going to be the last relatively mild evening for a while, although turning cold and wet in the small hours, so I just ran the trap till midnight. Quite happy with the results, kicking off with a rather funky variation of Red-green Carpet (along with three regular ones), photographed by torchlight on the back wall. Fairly ordinary stuff otherwise, although a Pale Mottled Willow had me scratching my head for a while. It might look fairly obvious in the daylight (see pic), but looked a lot darker-toned last night when I popped it in the fridge. Best moth was lurking at the bottom of the trap, last one I got to, a very handsome Pale Pinion. In total, 28 moths of 13 species.

Attachments

• IMG_6258.JPG
    IMG_6258.JPG
    405.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6285.JPG
    IMG_6285.JPG
    301.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6309.JPG
    IMG_6309.JPG
    234 KB · Views: 13
I had quite a good morning this morning. 72 moths of 22 species. Red-green carpet was new for the year and I had two new for the garden: Clifden Nonpareil and Delicate. Not bad at all.

Attachments

• DSC_2333.jpg
    DSC_2333.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC_2322.jpg
    DSC_2322.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 7
Trapped last 3 nights, still doing better than beginning of month in numbers and diversity, but nothing new. Single Frosted Orange throughout, max of 2 Common Marbled Carpet ...

Macros only -

20th - 69 of 15 - 3 Autumnal Rustic, Rosy Rustic, Svensson's Copper Underwing etc

21st - 75 of 15 - 7 Black Rustic, 5 Lunar Underwing, 1 Dark Sword Grass etc

22nd - 83 of 17 - Copper and Svensson's Copper Underwing (both fairly worn on topside now), Pinion-streaked Snout, 4 Large Ranunculus, DS Pug etc Rain at beginning of night and first thing in the morning.

Diamondback last night on the outside of the trap, not much else on the micro front.

Last edited:
Might not help Andy, I trap at 2 different houses and the Hampshire suburban gets pitiful numbers and species versus the Surrey rural one!

But (and this may be contradicted by Allen) my Hampshire suburban trap has run up roughly 180 macro species this year, and it isn't all that far from his!

There are many factors involved.

John

Absolutely agree John and envy your catches, still think the vicinity of decent habitat nearby like you have makes all the difference.

But (and this may be contradicted by Allen) my Hampshire suburban trap has run up roughly 180 macro species this year, and it isn't all that far from his!

There are many factors involved.

John

Two moths last night, Silver Y and Vine's Rusic and it's
been like this for three weeks

Well, they said it was getting colder, but it didn't feel that cold. Heavy rain too. 12 of 4 here last night, and a pretty unexciting selection ;)

6 Large Yellow Underwing
2 Lesser Yellow Underwing
3 Square Spot Rustic
1 Small Square Spot

Might have a look around the vegetation later. (EDIT: 1 extra Large Yellow Underwing = 13 of 4. Top stuff.)

Also 12 Crane Fly (first time in trap) and a micro - 2x Eudonia angustea

Last edited:
Two sessions to add here.

15th 125 of 32. Setaceous H/C the high scorer with 15 closely followed by Black Rustic on 14. New for year were Barred and Pink-barred Sallows plus Lunar Underwing.

21st 50 of 21 Beaded Chestnut was both NFY and top scorer with 8. Two Autumnal Rustics also NFY. Not much more out of the ordinary other than a late fresh looking Mottled Rustic.

2020 Totals to date

1st Trapped on 5th April
49 Nights
5329 Moths
373 Species including 10 aggs.
224 Macros not including aggs.
Figures are thanks to Norfolk Moths who list the top 50 Garden sites. I only keep day lists myself. As John says, how many you get depends very much on location, habitat, type of trap and how often you are able to trap.

Attachments

• P1260538.JPG
    P1260538.JPG
    219.5 KB · Views: 6
Interesting figures. Made me look at my spreadsheets.
1st trapped on 9th April (a week earlier than I though).
95 nights.
6132 moths.
382 species (macros + micros, no aggs)
I imagine this is the difference with being a more inland county.

Well, the Moth Trap is ON.

Forecast NW winds 25 - 35mph, gusting 37 to 48mph. 60-90% chance of heavy rain throughout. 11C (feels like 7C) but probably a bit colder as a bit higher up and more exposed than the forecast for the nearest towns.

Will there be a moth to record come the morning? (Or a trap even?) Hoping for some mega Icelandic autumn vagrant I guess ...

Last edited:
Two sessions to add here.

15th 125 of 32. Setaceous H/C the high scorer with 15 closely followed by Black Rustic on 14. New for year were Barred and Pink-barred Sallows plus Lunar Underwing.

21st 50 of 21 Beaded Chestnut was both NFY and top scorer with 8. Two Autumnal Rustics also NFY. Not much more out of the ordinary other than a late fresh looking Mottled Rustic.

2020 Totals to date

1st Trapped on 5th April
49 Nights
5329 Moths
373 Species including 10 aggs.
224 Macros not including aggs.
Figures are thanks to Norfolk Moths who list the top 50 Garden sites. I only keep day lists myself. As John says, how many you get depends very much on location, habitat, type of trap and how often you are able to trap.

Interesting figures. Made me look at my spreadsheets.
1st trapped on 9th April (a week earlier than I though).
95 nights.
6132 moths.
382 species (macros + micros, no aggs)
I imagine this is the difference with being a more inland county.

We're doing this now are we? Ok then....

1st trapped 28th May
46 nights
2159 macros
159 species, including aggs.

So not exactly in the same league, but quite pleased nonetheless.

Not trapping tonight, maybe tomorrow.

Well, the Moth Trap is ON.

Forecast NW winds 25 - 35mph, gusting 37 to 48mph. 60-90% chance of heavy rain throughout. 11C (feels like 7C) but probably a bit colder as a bit higher up and more exposed than the forecast for the nearest towns.

Will there be a moth to record come the morning? (Or a trap even?) Hoping for some mega Icelandic autumn vagrant I guess ...

Nada here, shouldn't have bothered knowing the forecast but when I put the light on, it seemed ok.

Last edited:
Looks like Nottingham has arrived at my place!
6 moths (of 6 species) over three and a half hours.
It was rather cold out there by 11:30pm. Colder tonight from the forecast. I might try running the actinic all night though just to see what happens.

(Edit- Just step outside (19:50) and it is blowing hard. Won't risk the trap in that wind).

Last edited:
Won't trap tonight, absolutely pointless in this wind and as I've said before, I'm on a high, exposed spot which makes it even worse.

Results from last night: 5 of 4

1 Large Yellow Underwing
1 Square Spot Rustic
2 Setaceous Hebrew Character
1 Lunar Underwing

0 Yanks, re-orientating Clifdens etc.

Touch milder, tad less windy and less rain tonight so we'll see ...

(11C (feels like 8C), 18mph, gusting to 29mph)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back