• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Field Guide for Shorebirds or Waders - Advice please (1 Viewer)

Pied Kingfisher

Hi, there.

May I have your advice on getting a good field guide for IDing shorebirds or waders in South East Asia.

I have done some research on local and internet bookstores and also on this Bird Forum. I have narrowed down my choices to the following books:-

Shorebirds: An ID Guide to the Waders of the World (Peter Hayman & others)
Photographic Guide to Shorebirds of the World (David Rosair & others)
Shorebirds of North America (Dennis Paulson)
Seabirds of the World: The Complete Reference (Jim Enticott) - not a field guide

I could not find a guide particularly for S.E. Asia and have to compromise with a book covering a greater geographic range.

Your advice will be very much appreciated.

There is, or was, a book on the Waterbirds of SE Asia which was reasonable - I remember using it in Hong Kong a long time ago. Obviously it had more than waders in it, but that was useful in my case.

All the ones you mention would be useful except the last one, which is seabirds. There is a corresponding Waders book in the same series of photo guides, probably out of print though.

Steve

Hi, Steve. Thanks for your prompt reply indeed. I also got the name of a book like "Waterbird of the Far East" from a birding pal of my local birding society. However, I searched for it in vain. Probably out of print and not mentioned at all in all book sites. Thanks for pointing out the relevance of the last book on my list.

I have been and found it. It is called
A Field Guide to the Waterbirds of Asia
and published by the Wild Bird Society of Japan. Mine is the 1st edition, 1993.
ISBN 4-7700-1740-5

Steve

Steve,

I found one used book on amazon.com selling for US$75. But there is not much info about the book like its no of pages etc. Please advise if the price is reasonable though it seems the availability is limited and thus no hint for a fair "market" price today. BTW, it is the same 1993 edition as yours.

Thanks in advance.

The Hayman et al Shorebirds book is a classic and would certainly help you with the ID of any shorebird you are likely to find anywhere !

Stuart

Hi, Stuart. Thanks for your advice. I found some used books also on amazon from US$48. Just like to reconfirm that the co-authors are Tony Prater and John Marchant.

Pied Kingfisher said:
Hi, Stuart. Thanks for your advice. I found some used books also on amazon from US$48. Just like to reconfirm that the co-authors are Tony Prater and John Marchant.

That's the one !

Pied Kingfisher said:
Steve,

I found one used book on amazon.com selling for US$75. But there is not much info about the book like its no of pages etc. Please advise if the price is reasonable though it seems the availability is limited and thus no hint for a fair "market" price today. BTW, it is the same 1993 edition as yours.

Thanks in advance.

I would not pay $75 for it as it is only a small paperback. You would be better buying the Hayman book. It might be available new at less than $48 so I would keep looking.

Steve

On second thoughts, after a quick look at Amazon, $48 for Hayman's book might be a good price: Amazon Uk have a softback at £86, thats about $160!!!

Steve

Hi, Steve & Stuart.

Both of you are very helpful. I placed my order for the Hayman ID Guide and the Photo Guide as well. Well, someone might be more in need of the book on Asian waterbirds and ordered it before I returned. After all, I share Steve's view that it is too expensive. I also have same belief as Stuart that Hayman is good enough for my purpose. Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back