• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What am I? - Jaipur, India (1 Viewer)

Frozen-in-MN

As our bus was driving through Jaipur, I got a quick shot at this large bird on a second story patio wall.

Is it a vulture of some sort?

Looks injured or someone clipped it's wings for some reason? Is that something people do - keep vultures around for ....?

Thanks

Attachments

• reduced - Unidentified - India-Nepal 2018 2018-10-23 003.JPG
    reduced - Unidentified - India-Nepal 2018 2018-10-23 003.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 80
Seriously???
Ok, so they don't look like that in Minnesota - or they only take pictures of the photogenic ones. ;-)
I guess if I get to the 3rd or 4th pages of my Google search on chickens, they start to look very different.

Thanks.

As our bus was driving through Jaipur, I got a quick shot at this large bird on a second story patio wall.

Is it a vulture of some sort?

Looks injured or someone clipped it's wings for some reason? Is that something people do - keep vultures around for ....?

Thanks

Pity you had to be disabused of the vulture theory. It would have made for a nice urban legend. ;)

Last edited:
Seriously???
Ok, so they don't look like that in Minnesota - or they only take pictures of the photogenic ones. ;-)
I guess if I get to the 3rd or 4th pages of my Google search on chickens, they start to look very different.

Thanks.

Yep, turn the tail up through 180° and you've got yourself a chicken. My worst memory was eating a chicken curry made in a Goan jungle lodge using a Red Jungle Fowl before I had seen one in the wild.

Yep, turn the tail up through 180° and you've got yourself a chicken. My worst memory was eating a chicken curry made in a Goan jungle lodge using a Red Jungle Fowl before I had seen one in the wild.

Killing one bird is killing one bird, the fact it is wild or domestic (free or slave) doesn't change anything. I can't wait that human will finally stop discrimination.

Killing one bird is killing one bird, the fact it is wild or domestic (free or slave) doesn't change anything. I can't wait that human will finally stop discrimination.

Sadly, too late Valéry.

By the way, I did not kill the jungle fowl, and I'm sure some of the local humans you employ on your expeditions also catch, buy and consume fowl and mammals.

You brought the subject up Sir, not I.

P

Sadly, too late Valéry.

By the way, I did not kill the jungle fowl, and I'm sure some of the local humans you employ on your expeditions also catch, buy and consume fowl and mammals.

P

Quite possibly 'bush meat' too.

I don't think the affluent, developed World, can preach to those who may be watching their kids starve or have empty bellies themselves. Not everyone can afford such expensive principles but this isn't the place for that argument, it's a bird forum.

Last edited:
Sadly, too late Valéry.

P

If no one eat chicken, no one will kill chickens. So easy.

Quite possibly 'bush meat' too.

I don't think the affluent, developed World, can preach to those who may be watching their kids starve or have empty bellies themselves. Not everyone can afford such expensive principles but this isn't the place for that argument, it's a bird forum.

Some 850 millions of people starve because some others feed 75 billions of domestic animals with food that would be enough for more than the whole humanity. If you respect humans, go vegan. If the World go vegan today, tomorrow everyone eat. We can also stop (not limit, I said stop) climate change if we stop animal farming.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back