• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon ProStaff ATB (1 Viewer)

Andy1

I'm looking for inexpensive compact binoculars to keep in my car. Has anyone tried the ProStaff model yet?

They come in 8, 9, 10 & 12 X 25 configurations. They are rubber armored, waterproof, Bak 4 prisms & multicoated lenses. They seem to be a reverse porro prism design. I'm also considering the Travelite model and would be interested in comaprisons between the two.

I'm seeking a decent 8X compact binocular for $150 or less. Any other suggestions?

Excellent timing Andy. I was in the same boat as you about a week ago. I wanted an inexpensive compact bin in an 8x22-28 configuration. I looked at the Wind River Mesas, Bushnell Legends, Weavers compacts, Nikon ProStaff ATB, Nikon Travelites and the Nikon Sportstars...as well as some other "cheapies" and a few out of my price range at the time just for comparison sake.

The 9x25 Bushnell Legends are roof prisms with phase coating. They were probably the brightest of the bunch though the price reflected it ($200). The local store only had the 10x versions of both the Legend reverse porros and the Nikon ProStaff ATBs. I am a little turned off by 10x bins in such a small package. I have relatively large hands and find it difficult to hold the image steady enough. Plus I tend to prefer a slightly wider field of view than what either 10x model was going to deliver. However, both of these models did offer a very nice overall image with good clarity and decent field flatness over at least 2/3rds of the field. If I could have got my hands on an 8x version of either of these then I have a feeling I probably would have bought one.

What did I end up with you ask? Surprisingly, at least to me at the time, I ended up with a pair of the Nikon Sportstars. For a low priced roof ($60) I was really shocked by the image. It was uncommonly clear in the center of the field with very good, lifelike color. The image was relatively flat over most of the field but not quite as much as either the Legends or the Prostaff ATBs. However, the field of view is worth commenting on. At 8.2 degrees it is exceptionally wide for such a small bin. I was actually surprised and felt that it made the image much easier to view for extended periods of time.

On the other hand the eye relief is relatively short at an advertised 10 mm. I have a hard time believing that number though as I typically need a larger amount of eye relief to get a full field of view due to my facial dimensions. I am wondering if the actual width of the barrels and the amount of indent on the eyepieces has something to do with it. The eyecups are the newer slide and lock design and are relatively comfortable to use. Its overall construction feels very solid, much more so than the Travelites for example.

The only real "bad news" I can relate with them is the quality control issue. The display model was excellent. Much better than any of the other compacts I mentioned above as well as one of the more expensive Pentax models I compared them to. However, there were about thirteen individual Sportstar units in boxes on the shelf. I went through better than half of them before finding a brand new model still in the box that was on the same optical level as the display model. Though I am sure it is to be expected at this price point I find it really sad considering the optical quality of one of the "cherry" models.

Sorry for rambling about the Sportstars when you specifically asked about the Prostaff ATBs but I felt that it was definitely applicable in this case. I think either would be a great choice for a nice back up "car" bin to keep around providing you actually get to try the specific unit before buying.

Frank - Thanks for the tip on the Sportstars. Today, I had a chance to compare the ProStaff ATB 8x vs the Travelite 8x models. The ProStaff had somewhat noticeable better quality - less distortion towards the edge of the field of view. Brightness seemed about the same though I was testing them inside a brightly lit store. Build quality of the ProStaffs were more rugged. I don't remember if the store had the Sportstars. Previously I dismissed compact, inexpensive roof prisms since I figured that the image would be quite dark as I had experienced with an older pair of Bushnells that I bought when I didn't know any better.

Wow! - After checking the F.O.V. specs on the Sportstars, they show nearly 70% more area than the ProStaffs. That would be handy for birding in the brush or tree tops. If I can find a pair having decent quality, they sound like a great value. Otherwise I might go with the ProStaff.

If I can find a pair having decent quality, they sound like a great value. Otherwise I might go with the ProStaff.

That was pretty much the approach I took with it Andy. I had every intention of buying the Pro Staff assuming they had an 8x on hand. They didn't so I opted for the Sportstars. I don't regret it though I wouldn't mind having an 8x Pro Staff as well. Great little bins with good image quality for the price.

To some extent I think you are correct Robert though I was still surprised with the image quality of the Sportstars. They were definitely not in the same class as other inexpensive compact roofs that I have tried. Worth the $60 I paid if you can find a cherry model.

Just an update - after trying out the Sportstars and the Travelites and the Prostaff models again, I ended up purchasing the 8x25 Prostaff compacts. The image quality just seemed a little brighter than the others. The image quality on the Sportstars is much better than my crummy old Bushnell 8x25 roof prism binos. All three are certainly usable for a take anywher/anytime binocular.

The overall build quality on the Prostaffs is great and they have a much more solid feel than the Travelites. Incedentally, in other countries, the Prostaff binoculars are named the Travelite EX model. Some of the features I really like on the Prostaffs are click stop diopter ring, turn-up eyecups, relatively large focus wheel, smooth focus action and the flex-hinged eyepiece covers. They do not include objective lens covers. With the eyecups turned up all the way, as I use them, there are 1/2" - 3/4" wide gaps in the top corner of the case on each side of the closed cover. ..... Urrrrgh!

Overall though, I think they just might be the best compact binocular out there in their price class. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I am still kicking around the idea of picking up a pair myself. I am waiting to see how much in Cabelas gift certificates I get for Christmas. ;O)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back