• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Reed Warbler? - London UK (1 Viewer)

ChrisKten

It's true, I quite like Pigeons
Loads of Warblers foraging in some bushes at my local reservoirs this morning; this one looked a bit different. It's probably just the light. but it looked paler than most of the others. I've a couple of others that I'm unsure of, but I've not processed the pictures yet.

Thanks

Attachments

• P1810281RGp900n2.jpg
    P1810281RGp900n2.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 177
Not that I have seen many (probably the same bird several times given dates & locations) the Reed Warbler(s) I have seen have had a slightly more pronounced stripe running from the eye forward. Can that vary much between individuals or is it present to the same extent here but isn't so obvious from the angle & lighting in the photo?

There is a lightening of colour in the original photo but it's less of a stripe than I have seen in the past.

Not that I have seen many (probably the same bird several times given dates & locations) the Reed Warbler(s) I have seen have had a slightly more pronounced stripe running from the eye forward. Can that vary much between individuals or is it present to the same extent here but isn't so obvious from the angle & lighting in the photo?

There is a lightening of colour in the original photo but it's less of a stripe than I have seen in the past.

This stripe /"running from the eye forward"/ is loral-stripe /lore/. It seems, that some birds are with obvious such, some without. Maybe is individual or age related, I don`t know.

Thanks Collin. It's always nice to know what features one can/can't readily use to help distinguish between similar species. Sounds like the lore isn't one of them but the features you mentioned when confirming the ID can be - much appreciated :t:

I think the features Collin mentioned was to rule out Marsh Warbler; although I could easily be wrong ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back