• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Travelscope help needed (1 Viewer)

Have you actually looked through a Vortex? The Nikon was a good scope for its size, and I used mine for many years as a second scope. IMO and that of every review I have read the Vortex is better.

I will also say that the tripod bush needed replacing twice and both times I was charged as it was out of warranty. Not very impressive as it was very much my second scope used about a tenth as much as my main one, at the most.

I have given my opinion as the OP asked for. For £399 -although it may have gone up by now - the Vortex is a bargain and for that price you get a superb warranty which means the scope should last a lifetime- as long as you don't buy a grey import from Japan.

Last edited:
Have you actually looked through a Vortex? The Nikon was a good scope for its size, and I used mine for many years as a second scope. IMO and that of every review I have read the Vortex is better.

I have given my opinion as the OP asked for. For £399 -although it may have gone up by now - the Vortex is a bargain and for that price you get a superb warranty which means the scope should last a lifetime- as long as you don't buy a grey import from Japan.

I've tried the Vortex but I've not given it a thorough, super-critical test. I've no doubt that it is an awesome scope, and I've no problem with you sharing your honest appraisal. But I also have an interest in encouraging information content in discussions on BirdForum, so I prefer that reviewers explain what they mean and the bases for their claims. Without such details, I see little value in reviews for the OP and other readers of a thread. I've not seen a prismatic scope that performs any better, with respect to resolution and color, than the 50ED and I'm not sure it is even possible. Certainly, I've seen models (e.g. Opticron MM4) that did as well as the ED50 and I'm sure, based on your and other reviews, that the Razor does likewise. I've seen a number of reviews (e.g. that of the Porters) that rate the Razor over the 50ED, but not for resolution/contrast/color, but instead for things like eye-relief, FOV etc that are entirely eyepiece dependent and thus not relevant to a discerning user (i.e. the sort of person who would be fretting the details by asking questions on BirdForum). Reviews of the 50ED with the 13-30x zoom are best interpreted with knowledge that that eyepiece is OK but not Nikon's best (Even amongst zooms, the 13-40x is sharper and offers higher magnification, though its FOV is still poor). My biases are such that I like scopes that offer eyepiece options, I like FOV, and I like to keep scoping about aiming and focusing without need for (especially with a travel scope, since they can't support high powers anyway) zooming. I like my travel scope to be as small and lightweight as possible with no-compromise-for-the-size optics. Those preferences lead me to the Nikon 50ED because it is optically as good as it gets and because it offers compatibility with all past Fielscope eyepieces and thus options that can be super sharp, super compact compared to the competition, wide field compared to the competition, long eye-relief, and appropriate magnification for all-around use (rather than zooming out for FOV and zooming in for attaining a standard scope magnification of ~30x). For me, that translates to the 50ED with the 27x WF eyepiece (a very small eyepiece that contributes substantially to keeping the overall package small). Given that a fixed-power eyepiece is unlikely to need service and that the 50ED is available body-only new for ~$325 from Japan, I'm willing to give up the warranty. I don't care if others have the same preferences or make the same choices. I do care and appreciate it when reviewers explain themselves when giving advice. I regret that I didn't do a good job of that myself, in my first post in this thread. I usually do better. I said that I would never choose the Razor over the Nikon but I didn't explain why (Answer: it is optically at least as good, offers interchangeable eyepieces, and thus can be smaller, lighter, have better FOV and eye-relief at working magnification, and can be cheaper).

--AP

Last edited:
...I will also say that the tripod bush needed replacing twice and both times I was charged as it was out of warranty. Not very impressive as it was very much my second scope used about a tenth as much as my main one, at the most...

Yes, that was certainly a flaw of the ED50 before the tripod socket was redesigned. Luckily, our repair policy in the USA was more generous (lifetime no-fault) than what you got, so when I had that problem, Nikon replaced (at no cost, under warranty) the body with a new unit of the new design (A 13-30x zoom, which I have no use for, was also included since Nikon USA no longer carries the scope body-only). I subsequently purchased another body from Japan and it is of the new tripod socket design. No signs of trouble now, with either body, after ~5 years of rough and tumble travel and hiking use.

--AP

I've tried the Vortex but I've not given it a thorough, super-critical test. I've no doubt that it is an awesome scope, and I've no problem with you sharing your honest appraisal. But I also have an interest in encouraging information content in discussions on BirdForum, so I prefer that reviewers explain what they mean and the bases for their claims.

Surely it is up to the OP to say if the opinion of someone who has had both scopes is of use, not you. So say which you prefer if you wish but it is not your role to criticise other people's advice.

I've tried the Vortex but I've not given it a thorough, super-critical test. I've no doubt that it is an awesome scope, and I've no problem with you sharing your honest appraisal. But I also have an interest in encouraging information content in discussions on BirdForum, so I prefer that reviewers explain what they mean and the bases for their claims.

Surely it is up to the OP to say if the opinion of someone who has had both scopes is of use, not you. So say which you prefer if you wish but it is not your role to criticise other people's advice.

Every thread is a discussion. Every thread potentially serves the interests and needs of many participants and readers beyond the OP. We all own the discussion. I wasn't criticizing your contribution/advice so much as I was asking follow-up questions and providing my own perspectives as a means of eliciting the information that I wanted as a reader of the thread. No different than any conversation. I'm just a little more explicit than most conversationalists about my intentions, that is, where I am coming from and what I am looking for.

--AP

Last edited:
I don't want to get between Steve and Alexis with their debate, though I have a prejudice towards Nikon for it's excellent performance, but I have a comment about my experience with both company's product.

I've never had a failure with the many Nikon products I've had over a lot of years. Perfectly reliable.
The ED50's foot insert is simply resolved by using a plate that remains semi-permanently attached and this is what interfaces with whatever head you're using. The main issue being not the weakness of the insert into plastic, though that's not ideal admittedly, it's that people tend to over tighten threaded mounts to keep them tight to the head. A plate solves this and I've never had any issue of this kind after hundreds of uses.

Vortex, on the other hand has shown me problems. I had a pair of 8x32 something or others and the focus mechanism disintegrated (seemingly made of cheese) within several days, bought new. My brother had a pair of vipers that in about a week exhibited diopter shift to the point of being unusable. He also had one of their small scopes and the objective cell rattled, as in loose.

I personally wouldn't buy a Vortex product, regardless of their replacement policy. I don't buy field optics to have them replaced for being defective. I'm not their QC department.

...I don't want to get between Steve and Alexis with their debate, though I have a prejudice towards Nikon for it's excellent performance, but I have a comment about my experience with both company's product.

I've never had a failure with the many Nikon products I've had over a lot of years. Perfectly reliable.
The ED50's foot insert is simply resolved by using a plate that remains semi-permanently attached and this is what interfaces with whatever head you're using. The main issue being not the weakness of the insert into plastic, though that's not ideal admittedly, it's that people tend to over tighten threaded mounts to keep them tight to the head. A plate solves this and I've never had any issue of this kind after hundreds of uses...

Well, since I'm unflinchingly honest, I'll have to side w/Steve about the original design of the ED50 foot. It wasn't good. Mine failed even though I used it with a RRS non-rotating Arca-style QR plate. Maybe I had it on too tight. The helicoil started unwinding. A well designed socket would not be vulnerable to this, whether overtightened or not. The new (as of 5+ years ago) ED50 foot design still has a plastic foot, but the metal insert is solid so it doesn't uncoil. This failure came as a great surprise to me because otherwise, I agree that Nikon executes a design and manufacturing philosophy that puts particular emphasis on robustness and a high level and consistency of quality-control. I have more confidence in Nikon in these regards than many other of my favorite brands, including Swarovski, Zeiss, and Leica.

--AP

So Christian,
what do you even use a scope for in CR? If at the beach/ponds etc there certainly would be plenty of light most of the day. Inside the forest I do not really see the scope coming in handy (I have left mine at home on the last several travels, choosing to bring a camera instead)

Niels

Good morning. I have found scopes to be great for helping others find and see a good bird buried deep in the trees. On the trails it is also great to be able to pass along a spot to a guide passing by with a group so they can see it. Generally they are very appreciative and will do the same for you when you pass them by later in the hike. Also no chance to digiscope with bins with a bird sitting in that small a gap.

Good morning. I have found scopes to be great for helping others find and see a good bird buried deep in the trees. On the trails it is also great to be able to pass along a spot to a guide passing by with a group so they can see it. Generally they are very appreciative and will do the same for you when you pass them by later in the hike. Also no chance to digiscope with bins with a bird sitting in that small a gap.

I agree with this. I've seen this very scenario happen plenty of times here in Costa Rica. We, and my friends, most of whom are professional guides, usually leave the scopes at home when just out birding for fun. When we do encounter a guide at work who has a bird in view for his or her group we're always invited to have a peek. We always try to repay in kind.
Cheers,
Bryan

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back