• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New! Male Redpoll in garden with metal ring. (1 Viewer)

KenM

Have had (normally 8-9) and up to 20+ Redpolls on my feeders since Dec.4. Today's bird is the first that I have seen with a metal ring! I've often suspected interchange from the roost site..perhaps on a daily basis. However I have transcribed (hopefully correctly?) the following digits from the ''new'' bird...NH, London, L7 and 553..believe the last three digits are a follow on from L7? That said..there may well have been other sequential nos. that were not visible. Unsure what the return/control ratio is for cabaret/flammea?

Presumably the BTO..might have an interest in this?

Attachments

• Redpoll with ring 1..jpg
    Redpoll with ring 1..jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 123
  • Redpoll with ring 3..jpg
    Redpoll with ring 3..jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 120
  • Redpoll with ring 4..jpg
    Redpoll with ring 4..jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 103
Have had (normally 8-9) and up to 20+ Redpolls on my feeders since Dec.4. Today's bird is the first that I have seen with a metal ring! I've often suspected interchange from the roost site..perhaps on a daily basis. However I have transcribed (hopefully correctly?) the following digits from the ''new'' bird...NH, London, L7 and 553..believe the last three digits are a follow on from L7? That said..there may well have been other sequential nos. that were not visible. Unsure what the return/control ratio is for cabaret/flammea?

Presumably the BTO..might have an interest in this?

It's a British ringed Redpoll. The number should have 6 digits after the letter. If you can get them all it would be even better, before you contact the BTO.

It's a British ringed Redpoll. The number should have 6 digits after the letter. If you can get them all it would be even better, before you contact the BTO.

Didn't see it today...was wondering if it might be better to run the nos.from top to bottom...that way..one might glimpse c3 rows of complete digits as opposed to perhaps as in my case four (from two positions). Granted the nos. would be smaller..but it might just increase more accurate returns?

cheers

This is a difficult one with so few numbers to work from. The position of the digits tells us this is L7-553- whioch is a start. This leaves 100 possible numbers, which might be traceable. We don't have ringing details for all of these birds, but I'll investigate. At least some were ringed in South Yorkshire in November 2010, so we may yet be able to trace this...

Having dug and emailed and poked, I've narrowed this down to a bird ringed on either 23rd or 26th November 2010 near Doncaster, so looks to have travelled a bit to get to you!

If you can submit the details online via www.ring.ac using the ring number 'L73553-' I'll make sure it gets picked up our end.

Having dug and emailed and poked, I've narrowed this down to a bird ringed on either 23rd or 26th November 2010 near Doncaster, so looks to have travelled a bit to get to you!

If you can submit the details online via www.ring.ac using the ring number 'L73553-' I'll make sure it gets picked up our end.

Thanks Mark,
Not been seen since!..however will keep my ''mince pies'' open ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back