• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swans slaughtered to be eaten by Immegrants (1 Viewer)

Law notwithstanding then yes there's no difference but the point is one is legal the other isnt therefore there's a world of difference.

So this whole thread is just about people (who may, or may not be, from another Country) breaking the Law? Because reading this thread, I don't get that impression at all.

Fascinating discussion so far! I think Winston Churchill eating swans is an image I'll take with me to my grave! I've spent a lot of time in East Europe. Never was I offered a Swan Burger at any time! Or Crispy Swan, Swan Sausage, or Deep Fried Swan Foot Webs! Lithuania had no drive-thru Baltic Fried Swan franchise. Maybe I went to the wrong places? Met the wrong people?

Fascinating discussion so far! I think Winston Churchill eating swans is an image I'll take with me to my grave! I've spent a lot of time in East Europe. Never was I offered a Swan Burger at any time! Or Crispy Swan, Swan Sausage, or Deep Fried Swan Foot Webs! Lithuania had no drive-thru Baltic Fried Swan franchise. Maybe I went to the wrong places? Met the wrong people?

Of course they haven't!

That's why they come here - travelling across Europe just to hole up in a makeshift shed in Peterborough with the sole purpose of eating good British swans.

we probably have better grazing grass for swans because all the Daily Mail readers leave Dog Crap everywhere, which I assume is fabulous as a fertilizer!

This reminds me of another story.

A couple of years back one man was prosecuted for shooting a Golden Eagle in Scotland.

His excuse was that he was shooting Red Grouse and the Eagle came into his field of view as he was firing his second cartridge. So, in his defence, he claimed he shot it by mistake.

The magistrate then enquired what he had done with the rest of the Eagle's remains. As only the wings were recovered at the scene.

He told them he had cooked and eaten it.

Shocked, and a bit perversely, the magistrate asked him what the Golden Eagle had tasted like.

To which the man replied,....

Actually when I heard Stephen Fry tell that one, he used Swan instead of Osprey.

I just changed the species, because I thought you might all be getting fed up with Swan by now?

Nice to vary the diet now and then! :eat:

You are not offering to get your Paridae out, are you?

:-O LOL! WROTFCMRC! ;)

No David!

That's the Sun! We're talking about the Mail here!

Unless the Sun have had people chowing down on Paridae on their version of Page 3? (Better be careful here!)

But what a great way to start Page 3! :t:

Where we can continue to talk about birds and racism! B :)

Does the Queen still eat Swans?:gh: And does Xenophobic Phil pick his teeth with a Swan quill? :king:

PS Prince Phillip, not me! I'm not one (a racist, or a Prince!), and I don't eat Swans!

Last edited:
So this whole thread is just about people (who may, or may not be, from another Country) breaking the Law? Because reading this thread, I don't get that impression at all.

Well to be fair i wasnt commenting on the rest of the thread i was just answering your question with my honest opinion.

Maybe if these weren't Mute Swans they would grass up whoever did it to the police?

I'll get my coat....:-C

Last edited:
But what a great way to start Page 3! Our lovely Page 3! :t:

Where we can talk about birds and racism! B :)
Would the Mail be more forgiving if they had actually eaten Canada Geese?*

* I thought of a stronger sentence, but let's leave it at this.

Last edited:
ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT GEESE EAT BRITISH GRASS

Was discussing with my partner the other day. As lovely Swallows swooped up the Severn Estuary. Such joy!

Then something struck me.

All these birds are basically "illegal immigrants" right?

They sneak in, over our borders, from all angles, and nobody says a "dicky bird" about it?

THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!

Ok. So they don't have opposable thumbs, pockets, bum bags (fanny pouches for our Stateside brethren...linguistic idiom, I'm sorry!), and cannot carry passports, visas, or whatever. But, come on!

Why isn't the Mail running stories on this plague of ILLEGAL AVIAN IMMIGRANTS?

Ok, in Autumn they leave (admittedly after robbing us of our natural resources!!).

But, then a new wave of these "illegal migrants" flood in.

And NONE OF THEM LEGALLY! And no-one says anything!

Am I the only one to have picked up on this?

Or am I living in "CUCKOO LAND?!!!!"

Yes, I think I probably am! ;)

It's not the people that are the problem here. It's the WINGED INVADERS!

There, I've ranted enough. To bed now. The Mail hits the stands at dawn!

My cat's just vomited copiously over the duvet, and I need something useful for mopping that up! ;)

PS Forgot! Left the Savi's Warblers under the grill. Must dash! :eek!:

Oh really...?

Boris!

Was composing my RANT while you were posting this!

Maybe I did see a similar signage in Vilnius?

But it was probably chopped down by a million axes, as I don't think the good people of the Baltic States would take kindly to the Russian insignia included in the logo!

That would be a very BAD thing to do if you were thinking of setting up a Fried Swan franchise anywhere there! :eek!:

Swans? Yes! Hammers and Sickles, and Swastikas? Bad. Bad. Bad! :-C

PS I've just realised. I've successfully come out as not in favour of Communism and Nazi-ism. But now seem to be recognised as someone who supports selling "Secret Recipe Coated Fried Cygnus with Fries, and a Drink?"

Whoops?

Vodka slushy anyone? B :);)

PPS I hope people from the Baltic region understand that this is SATIRE on the original Daily Mail article? Which is tantamount to saying the good people of Lithuania come to our country to eat our Swans. Which is surreal, and quite obviously $£"%!ing RIDICULOUS!!!!! :C

Boris!

Was composing my RANT while you were posting this!

Maybe I did see a similar signage in Vilnius?

But it was probably chopped down by a million axes, as I don't think the good people of the Baltic States would take kindly to the Russian insignia included in the logo!

That would be a very BAD thing to do if you were thinking of setting up a Fried Swan franchise anywhere there! :eek!:

Swans? Yes! Hammers and Sickles, and Swastikas? Bad. Bad. Bad! :-C

PS I've just realised. I've successfully come out as not in favour of Communism and Nazi-ism. But now seem to be recognised as someone who supports selling "Secret Recipe Coated Fried Cygnus with Fries, and a Drink?"

Whoops?

Vodka slushy anyone? B :);)

PPS I hope people from the Baltic region understand that this is SATIRE on the original Daily Mail article? Which is tantamount to saying the good people of Lithuania come to our country to eat our Swans. Which is surreal, and quite obviously $£"%!ing RIDICULOUS!!!!! :C

;) Thought I'd take the picture to Di-aily Fail levels of stereotyping...
Everyone knows that it would actually look like this:

Attachments

• baltic_fried_swan2.jpg
    baltic_fried_swan2.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back