• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

some small birds, Panama (1 Viewer)

Mergus1

the Bavarian Birder
Hi,

these ones shouldn´t be too hard I guess. Couldn´t find them in the book though.. any help?

#1: Some finch (saffron??) seen singing on top of the Biomuseo in Panama City
#2: Gray breasted martins? In Gamboa near the Channel
#3: Southern rough winged or cliff swallow? Gamboa
#4: Looks like some kind of barbet? In Boquete at the foot of Volcan Baru (~2000m)
#5: Also barbet like. Quetzal trail, Boquete (~2100m)
#6: Distinctive red legs. But bill´s not right for honeycreeper.. seen on isla Bastimentos, Bocas del toro archipelago

Attachments

• Bird-ID-3.jpg
    Bird-ID-3.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Bird-ID-6.jpg
    Bird-ID-6.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Bird-ID-9.jpg
    Bird-ID-9.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Bird-ID-18.jpg
    Bird-ID-18.jpg
    419.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Bird-ID-20.jpg
    Bird-ID-20.jpg
    425.7 KB · Views: 27
Agree with IDs for #1 and #2.

Hi,

these ones shouldn´t be too hard I guess. Couldn´t find them in the book though.. any help?

#1: Some finch (saffron??) seen singing on top of the Biomuseo in Panama City
#2: Gray breasted martins? In Gamboa near the Channel
#3: Southern rough winged or cliff swallow? Gamboa
#4: Looks like some kind of barbet? In Boquete at the foot of Volcan Baru (~2000m)
#5: Also barbet like. Quetzal trail, Boquete (~2100m)
#6: Distinctive red legs. But bill´s not right for honeycreeper.. seen on isla Bastimentos, Bocas del toro archipelago

Agree on Manakin (sp.) for #6.
I think you need to check the pages for Tanagers re no 4. (I have no books with me at the moment).

Niels

1 - looks ok for Saffron Finch
2 - look more like Martins but with the quality of the photo and just looking at it quickly not sure I'd 100% rule out Souther Rough-winged Swallow.
3 - Cliff Swallow looks fine
4 - female Euphonia, I don't have a guide handy or remember the females well, but several spp are going to be possible there, exact location/elevation/habitat would help, though so would a field guide :)
5 - Prong-billed Barbet
6 - White-collared or Golden-collared Manakin. I don't recall if females are separable, and don't know if one is more expected at that site. Should be both in range or very close to in range there.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back