• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare birds dead on Queen's estate (BBC News) (1 Viewer)

Nice to see the usual factual accuracy of the BBC:

"Only 15 active nesting sites are thought to exist for the rare hen harrier across the UK"

Nice to see the usual factual accuracy of the BBC:

"Only 15 active nesting sites are thought to exist for the rare hen harrier across the UK"

Yup, from London Berwick and Carlisle are just about on the edge of the planet, beyond there be dragons, and they aren't too sure about the hundred miles or so south of there either.

I hope the police make a full investigation this time. Our harriers need our protection against these outrages.
Sue

One for the serious organised crime squad :t:

Withdraw the gun licences immediately - without exception.

Just for once wouldn't it be nice to see our Royal Family make a stance against the ongoing persecution. Will it happen? .........not a chance.

Hen Harriers shot on Queens Estate

Hello there

I heard this on the Anglian local news at 6pm and repeated at 10pm.

http://www.itvlocal.com/anglia/news/

The article about the Hen Harriers being shot on Queens Estate in Sandringham The item is about a quarter of the way through the videoed news item.

I only hope it is not true. :C

Regards
Kathy.

Hello there

I heard this on the Anglian local news at 6pm and repeated at 10pm.

http://www.itvlocal.com/anglia/news/

The article about the Hen Harriers being shot on Queens Estate in Sandringham The item is about a quarter of the way through the videoed news item.

I only hope it is not true. :C

Regards
Kathy.

Thanks for the link Kathy.

Have you seen the other thread? :-
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=1036691#post1036691

btw...
Watching other peoples local news is like looking at someone elses holiday snaps. :)

The clip starts at about 8:08 mins on that link.

Thanks for the link Kathy.

Have you seen the other thread? :-
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=1036691#post1036691

btw...
Watching other peoples local news is like looking at someone elses holiday snaps. :)

The clip starts at about 8:08 mins on that link.

Hi rozinante

I overlooked the other thread, so thanks for keeping me straight here.

Can understand the local news bit, causes confusion with people.

Also the item was not confirmed, I was wondering if it was a good idea to add to BF at all.

Nothing worse than 2 threads the same here, never mind. whoooopps

I also should have added the time zone as you have on the video clip

Regards
Kathy.

Last edited:
One for the serious organised crime squad :t:

Withdraw the gun licences immediately - without exception.

Just for once wouldn't it be nice to see our Royal Family make a stance against the ongoing persecution. Will it happen? .........not a chance.

Hi Ikw

I think guns need to be removed all together too, so much the better. I cannot see a stance in persecution either as to hunting too embroiled in family history.

I have looked at a film clips of the allegations on the local Anglian news tonight, and the Royals sure have a history of hunting wildlife to this day.

The film clips on the internet speak volumes on what goes on behind closed doors.

Why should the Royals be so different to anyone else. They should respect wildlife as anyone else would if they had half a heart to do so.

Or are they just heartless anyway. :-C

Regards
Kathy

Hi Ikw

I think guns need to be removed all together too, so much the better. I cannot see a stance in persecution either as to hunting too embroiled in family history.

I have looked at a film clips of the allegations on the local Anglian news tonight, and the Royals sure have a history of hunting wildlife to this day.

Firstly details on this seem to be pretty sketchy and secondly there's a big difference between partaking in legal (and socially accepted) hunting of certain species and tacitly sponsoring/condoning the illegal killing of an endangered species. Lets perhaps acknowledge that at least one of the hunting royals we're talking about was named by Time as a worldwide environmental hero this week and perhaps give them the benefit of the doubt that if a) this was done by one of their staff then b) he'll end up being punished to the full extent of the law and then fired by his bosses.

Innocent until proven guilty and all that eh?

Firstly details on this seem to be pretty sketchy and secondly there's a big difference between partaking in legal (and socially accepted) hunting of certain species and tacitly sponsoring/condoning the illegal killing of an endangered species. Lets perhaps acknowledge that at least one of the hunting royals we're talking about was named by Time as a worldwide environmental hero this week and perhaps give them the benefit of the doubt that if a) this was done by one of their staff then b) he'll end up being punished to the full extent of the law and then fired by his bosses.

Hi Isurus

I do state what was said was maybe too close to the bone here. I have been looking at the fox video on the local news tonight (to go along with tonights news about the Harriers) It showed a clip of a film of a fox being shot and prodded, by so called members of the Royal Family and their dogs I found it disturbing. :C

Yet, that is what the news does it over emphases an issue so it is believable to the viewer. We are given a one sided view of issues, and we never know what is going on really in some cases.

I could see it being one of the staff here too. It has happened before. I hope that the Harriers are alright, and even if there a threat of it to happen that the perpetrator is caught as he should be.

Maybe the staff members think that they are untouchable, and are well hidden from the world too, because they are part and parcel living with the Royals in the first place.

Yes, it is innocent until proven guilty.

Want to hear the outcome of this. I think it will be interesting :eek!:

Regards
Kathy

Agreed. But perhaps we could also agree that if (and only if) the verdict is guilty and there is no sacking, then RSPB should make a big media splash of handing back their royal charter and booting out their royal connections?

John

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back