• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newbie here.. But an OLD newbie (1 Viewer)

heavenly snapper

I flew that Eagle for 32 years
Hello from the Pacific Northwest coast of the USA! :t: I'm getting ready to buy a new superzoom bridge rig for birds, wildlife and the such. I already own a DSLR with many lenses so I don't need another one of those. I'm trying to decide if a 1" sensor with less zoom is a better investment or a 1/2.3 with over double the reach is best. Thoughts on this anyone?

Thanks and as Arnold said, " I'll be back!":-O

Hi heavenly snapper and welcome to BirdForum. There's a few threads discussing superzooms which hopefully will be of some assistance to you.

Rich

Hi heavenly snapper and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about. I've also subscribed you to the thread so that you can find it more easily.

I've moved your post to the Camera Forums, as I think you'll get the answers you need there... it's all double-Dutch to me LOL

Oh and BTW his name is Rich.... he just seems to like "ClarkWGriswold" for some weird and wonderful reason.;)

Hi heavenly snapper and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about. I've also subscribed you to the thread so that you can find it more easily.

I've moved your post to the Camera Forums, as I think you'll get the answers you need there... it's all double-Dutch to me LOL

Oh and BTW his name is Rich.... he just seems to like "ClarkWGriswold" for some weird and wonderful reason.;)

Hello Delia and thanks for your help getting me going here. I'm old and slow sometimes :-O but I still learn new things daily! Yeah I figured it was Rich right after I posted it so I thought I'd follow up with a silly one! 3:)

You're welcome HS!!! I like being silly sometimes too:-O

Glad you found your way to the thread OK.

I'd tend to go the opposite direction of Nikonmike - I like the larger sensor and less reach of that choice. But I guess it much depends on just how far off the wildlife you often shoot will be. In Florida, we can sometimes get pretty close - 600mm is usually enough for smaller birds in the forest, and more than enough for wading birds...what we run into much more often is challenging lighting - shady forests with heavy tree canopies, and birds often trying to avoid the sun as we're so warm down here. Plus, through much of the year it's so hot and humid here that you can't really shoot birds too far away even if you have the reach, because atmospherics will destroy the shot if the bird is more than 100 feet off.

If I were in the market for a bridge cam, I'd likely get the Sony RX10 IV. It's pricey, but seems to be the best bridge cam at covering all the bases - larger sensor to help in more challenging light, good reach up to 600mm, and actually very capable with BIF with fast OSPDAF focusing.

I shoot with a DSLR system, but also with a mirrorless system which is small enough and light enough that I haven't been tempted enough by the bridge wildlife cams. I have an original RX10 (only 200mm) for a travel cam, but it doesn't have the reach for wildlife or birding.

Hello Delia and thanks for your help getting me going here. I'm old and slow sometimes :-O but I still learn new things daily! Yeah I figured it was Rich right after I posted it so I thought I'd follow up with a silly one! 3:)
I needed a username I could easily remember and I do enjoy the films:-O

Rich

Nikon P900

I much prefer more zoom and less sensor just put 3 P900 samples in this thread.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=356271

The Nikon P900 was my first draw to the superzooms with it's 2000mm reach and AMAZING Moon shots BUT, I started shying away from it due to lack of RAW capabilities. Nice photos btw!!

In the small sensors I've been tossing up the Nikon B700, Canon SX60 and Lumix DC-FZ80 with the Lumix in front!

Large sensors, the Sony DSC-RX10 IV, can't bring myself to pop that much cash on it soooo, I'm looking at a used Sony DSC-RX10 III still a little pricey, a new or used Lumix DMC-FZ2500 still a bit price new but doable or a Lumix DMC-FZ1000 unless there's another one I've missed in the pack!

BTW, the ability to transfer directly to my iPhone is a plus. Definitely want wifi capabilities to control camera via my phone.

Thanks for your all feedback, it is much appreciated! :t:

Mark aka Heavenlyo:DSnapper... I'm into sunsets, sunrises, and skycapes! Now diving into birding and wildlife.:cat:

Large Sensor vs Small

I'd tend to go the opposite direction of Nikonmike - I like the larger sensor and less reach of that choice. But I guess it much depends on just how far off the wildlife you often shoot will be. In Florida, we can sometimes get pretty close - 600mm is usually enough for smaller birds in the forest, and more than enough for wading birds...what we run into much more often is challenging lighting - shady forests with heavy tree canopies, and birds often trying to avoid the sun as we're so warm down here. Plus, through much of the year it's so hot and humid here that you can't really shoot birds too far away even if you have the reach, because atmospherics will destroy the shot if the bird is more than 100 feet off.

If I were in the market for a bridge cam, I'd likely get the Sony RX10 IV. It's pricey, but seems to be the best bridge cam at covering all the bases - larger sensor to help in more challenging light, good reach up to 600mm, and actually very capable with BIF with fast OSPDAF focusing.

I shoot with a DSLR system, but also with a mirrorless system which is small enough and light enough that I haven't been tempted enough by the bridge wildlife cams. I have an original RX10 (only 200mm) for a travel cam, but it doesn't have the reach for wildlife or birding.

Thanks Justin!
In the small sensors I've been tossing up the Nikon B700, Canon SX60 and Lumix DC-FZ80 with the Lumix in front!

Large sensors, the Sony DSC-RX10 IV, can't bring myself to pop that much cash on it soooo, I'm looking at a used Sony DSC-RX10 III still a little pricey, a new or used Lumix DMC-FZ2500 still a bit price new but doable or a Lumix DMC-FZ1000 unless there's another one I've missed in the pack!

BTW, the ability to transfer directly to my iPhone is a plus. Definitely want wifi capabilities to control camera via my phone.

Thanks for your all feedback, it is much appreciated! :t:

Mark aka Heavenlyo:DSnapper... I'm into sunsets, sunrises, and skycapes! Now diving into birding and wildlife.:cat:

User name

I needed a username I could easily remember and I do enjoy the films:-O

Rich

Oh I get that one Rich and I loved all those movies too.. had me in tears at times from laughing so hard!!

The B700 was a direct replacement for the P610 but with raw added (same lens), i had the P610 before the P900 changed for more zoom.
Some P610 results for you

Attachments

• 18954371794_327ef98327_o.jpg
    18954371794_327ef98327_o.jpg
    506.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 19360827159_e32c060de4_o.jpg
    19360827159_e32c060de4_o.jpg
    385.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 19519589242_c172297379_o.jpg
    19519589242_c172297379_o.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 69
B700 vs P900

The B700 was a direct replacement for the P610 but with raw added (same lens), i had the P610 before the P900 changed for more zoom.
Some P610 results for you

Those are nice shots too Mike but I think the P900 images appear more detailed, probably due to longer reach. Do you recall the distance to subject and lens settings?

Thanks

The Exif for the above shots in the same order.

Manufacturer: Nikon - Model: COOLPIX P610 - Focallength: 258 mm - Measurement: Pattern - Aperture: 6.5 - ISO: 400 - Exposuretime: 1/200 sec - Flash: No Flash

Manufacturer: Nikon - Model: COOLPIX P610 - Focallength: 258 mm - Measurement: Pattern - Aperture: 6.5 - ISO: 110 - Exposuretime: 1/320 sec - Flash: No Flash

Manufacturer: Nikon - Model: COOLPIX P610 - Focallength: 258 mm - Measurement: Pattern - Aperture: 6.5 - ISO: 100 - Exposuretime: 1/400 sec - Flash: No Flash

The 258 mm is full zoom 258 x 5.7 = 1470mm, i have shot some version of raw since day one starting with Tiff on the early Olympus cameras and NEF from the old D70 days, i still shoot raw with my Panasonic.
The strange thing is with these bridge cameras i don't feel i need it the same,the cameras get it so close it only needs tweaking in photoshop, maybe a little in curves and sometimes a little unsharp mask.

Distance ime not sure of but i try to shoot between 15-40 ft

There is no getting away from it......if you want quality images from any bridge camera you have to get close to your subject.

small vs large sensor

Thanks for all the input so far everyone! I think I'm leaning towards the Lumix DMC-FZ2500 large sensor. Second place is the Lumix DC-FZ80 small sensor and third place is the Nikon B700 small sensor.

My concluded thoughts are the low light abilities of the large sensor along with the fact that free hand shooting will be happening a lot so any reach past 500mm would be hard to keep steady. The ONLY thing drawing me to the small sensors is their reach abilities BUT the fact that a tripod would be needed to be successful shooting anything above 500mm pushes me to the large sensor soooo... Any thoughts?

Thanks

Mark aka heavenlyo:Dsnapper

My hand holding ability is crap,thats why i like the Panasonic m4/3 not heavy and dual IS,i still dont use a tripod as i dont subscribe to the crop value of a system giving a longer lens.
The B700 has only got a 258mm lens not a 1400 + mm,the way i look at it is if you knew you would be cropping a DSLR image with a 300mm lens would you up the shutter speed to allow for it.
I have used a monopod but only have a heavy manfrotto so dont bother with it much, i had my bridge camera set on continuous and took 3 or 4 shots each time in case camera shake was a problem,most of the time it wasnt.
I am considering getting a stupid cheap/light monopod and useing my V head on it to rest the camera on but thats just a thought at the moment.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back