• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manfrotto is ruling? (1 Viewer)

GR Triever said:
...the 055 is only 0.1kg heavier and 1" longer (closed position) than the 290.

Well, you forgot that the weight of the 290 includes a pan-head of 0.7 kg while the 055 is naked. So the weight difference is really 0.8 kg which isn't negligible.

Not a big issue, but what did you do when you wanted a camera height of, say, 10 inches or so above the ground?

I reversed the post like Steve suggested, but I am not sure that is doable with the 290 though so that might be something to check out

Or, what did you do when the wind was gusting at 45kph and you had a lot of tripod shake?

I didn't do that yet. - Too lazy... ;-)

Cheers, Jens.

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that I finally settled for a second hand Manfrotto 144B + 128LP.
The screws locking the panning have to be tightened quite hard in order to fix the head position without a slight drift.

There is an extra screw that goes in against the kolumn. Does anyone know what it is for?

I am very happy with it. No problems to se Saturn's rings tonigth! (Yesterday, the scope wobbled so that the planet and its ring looked more like some psychedelic night picture from a New Years Eve.

The stuff was in very good condition and I paid less than 1/2 of the street price.

Now my wife has found a good reason for me to go to the gym more often...
I claim that 10 km birdwatching will do the same thing to my body but be 100 times better for my mind

Cheers, Jens..

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back