• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Leupolds Starting to Arrive (1 Viewer)

Well at least some of the newer bins are showing up. Maybe some of the other Leupolds, the Nikon Monarch X and the Bushnell Legend Ultras will start hitting the shelves as well.

8.5 x 45 specs are similar to the Swift HHS 8.5 x 44 but cost about $200.00 more. I wonder how they will compare with each other?
Bob

My view through the Swift was a couple of years ago in a Wild Birds Unlimited store. I had the Leupold Northfork in hand back in January. The Leupold has a very nice, bight image, almost, but not quite at the ZEN ED level and also almost, but not quite to the Leupold GR. It was sharper at the edges than the GR.

It may be a mistake to extrapolate backward, but it seems the Northfork was brighter than the Swift.

Maybe it is just me but I would be genuinely surprised to see the Norfolk surpass the 820 ED. If the Norfolk is the typically $500 roof then I just cannot see it....maybe with ED glass?

I also don't think it would surpass a good 820. But as I remember it it is brighter than the 828. The Northfork has the length to work with ED glass, but if it gets any better, they are in trouble beating their own GR. I'd also like to see somebody get a decent 8.5x with more fov, say a minimum 7* or a bit more.

It always seems to me Steve that many of these manufacturers, assuming to keep the price down via the design, will compromise field of view before many other optical attributes. I assume this is because they feel it is the first thing that is somewhat unneccesary for the average user?

But I would agree...that particular combination would interest me as well.

It always seems to me Steve that many of these manufacturers, assuming to keep the price down via the design, will compromise field of view before many other optical attributes. I assume this is because they feel it is the first thing that is somewhat unneccesary for the average user?

That, and the fact that good WA eyepieces are more expensive might have something to do with it too!
Bob

Frank,

I agree. It must me the easiest thing to do is narrow the fov while maintaining image quality. Wider fov is nearly an alpha level quality, aside from the ZEN et al. I think that fov's are about as wide as they can be reasonably be made without getting into eye relief and edge softness issues. There were some hellacious fov specs in some 20-30 year old glass, so doing wider fov isn't the problem.

There were some hellacious fov specs in some 20-30 year old glass, so doing wider fov isn't the problem.

Yes, you can see that even in some of the modern porros I have such as the Ultima DX, Legend and Ultraview. They have wide fields of view but sacrifice it to field curvature or some other edge issue.

There was a Swift 7x35 that went on auction the other day with a 13* (678') angular fov. You see older 7x35's @ 10 * & 11* quite a bit.

Some of those old Swifts are pretty decent if about zero eye relief is something you can live with.

OK, enough, this is way away from new Leupolds there Steve :>)

I don't suppose the new Leupolds have even half of that 13 degree field of view now do they? Ok, 6.5 I could see...even 7 would be nice if they could squeeze it out with a little distortion around the edges.

Well, as the Legend Ultra delivery is now pushed back to mid July I may have to invest in the Rogues. I am going to have to go back and take a look at them overall including pics and make a decision.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back