• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellowhammer? North of Stockholm, Sweden (1 Viewer)

satyachil

Tally ho!
Most probably a yellowhammer?
the chestnut coloured rump left me wondering. How about female cirl bunting? I know cirl bunting is unlikely in sweden but anyway..

Attachments

• yellowhammer-q.JPG
    yellowhammer-q.JPG
    672.9 KB · Views: 141
I came across a variety of descriptions on the internet for the cirl bunting's rump. "olive-brown, grey, grey-brown, olive-green" . So i wasnt clear what to make of this particular individual.
Thanks for the confirmation.

Female cirl/female Yellowhammer can be confusing -

female cirl have more olive brown rumps (cf to male cirl and the rufous rump on Yellowhammer)

cf to female Yellowhammer have much more yellow on the head cf to your bird which has dark cheeks with just a bright yellow spot behind the ear coverts.

The fringes to the flight feathers are paler on Female Yellowhammer - Cirl reddy brown

all giving an impression of a female Cirl being much brighter bird

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back