• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manfrotto 055Nat or 190Nat??? (1 Viewer)

Nadine

Hi! everyone...I need some advice! I have a Leica APO 77 (straight), im not sure if I should buy the Manfrotto 055Nat3 or 190Nat3? im about 1,65m! is the 190 tall enough? even when looking up?

Nad

Hi Nadine

I'd get the shortest one you can get away with as it will be quite a bit lighter too.....the 190 sounds fine to me. I often sit anyway when scoping something as it's more comfortable and less obtrusive. If you're birding in Portugal you might be sitting down a lot more due to the heat and drier ground!!!

Try the Carbon Fibre models, they extend to the same height as those you have mentioned...with the advantage of being lighter.
They are more expensive.....but IMHO (unless it breaks!)...why change your tripod?
You only have to buy it once.

Dave.

Last edited:
Nadine said:
Hi! everyone...I need some advice! I have a Leica APO 77 (straight), im not sure if I should buy the Manfrotto 055Nat3 or 190Nat3? im about 1,65m! is the 190 tall enough? even when looking up?

Nad
I'd consider the 190 + 700RC2 as that combination is far lighter and that is important when you have a heavier scope.

I have the 055 but I am tall! I'm sure the 190 is high enough for you. looking up with a straight is always going to be more difficult so it might be worth trying out before buying.

Nadine said:

Nad
I'd consider the 190 + 700RC2 as that combination is far lighter and that is important when you have a heavier scope.

I have the 055 but I am tall at 192cm! I'm sure the 190 is high enough for you but looking high up with a straight scope is, I imagine, always going to be somewhat more difficult so it might be worth trying out before buying.

190 + 700RC2 would be great...and make things easier! but 'cause its a straight scope looking up is gonna be terrible on a short tripod?!? ... the 190 max height is about 1,60m...

So, Nadine - it's looking as if the 055 it is. I use it with the 700RC2 and superb Zeiss 85T*. A wonderful combination and not as heavy as some but still not featherweight!

If you get a chance to physically compare them,Nadine it may be worthwhile.
I've got the 700RC2 and it's the only bit of kit I'd change;that is from a birding,not a digiscoping viewpoint.It is lightweight though,which is why I've stuck with it.

Hmm... now I'm intrigued why Trevor feels the 700RCs head is not up to it. For me, the 700RC2 is half the weight of the older 128RC and does the job as well... so far. I've only had it a few months yet, mind you. Still - I can't fault it yet in any way and my sholuder thanks me each time I lug my kit a few miles over fields and hills!

I didn't say it wasn't 'up to it' Steve,but probably didn't express myself clearly.
I just find it 'fiddly' to use and am continually having to adjust the tension on the locking knobs;also I find the pan bar comes loose and I'm worried about overtightening.
Generally,it was a suggestion to try out the 2 (or others)heads if possible,to see how each personally feels.

Sorry I misintepreted. It was that you said it was the only piece of kit you would change, so I deduced that for some reason not made clear, you felt it was not up to its job.

I don't have any of the problems you mention - and this makes me wonder if you don't have a faulty one? The pan/tilt handle can be tightened without fear looking at mine - which has never loosened. But... I have had to adjust the tension on the panning adjuster and, looking at the tensioner, I have to say it's not quite as sophisticated as I thought it would be. I've had no problem since but did think I'd be getting in touch with Manfrotto if it loosened again.

Interesting,Steve,so your handle remains tight from one outing to another?
I have to tighten mine several times(being worried about overdoing it and stripping the thread) when using,so perhaps there is a fault.
I notice Manfrotto call it a 'Mini Video Head',is it man-enough for prolonged scope use?

Grousemore said:
I notice Manfrotto call it a 'Mini Video Head', is it man-enough for prolonged scope use?
I can't think why it shouldn't be - but having taken it apart to tighten up the panning movement a shade, as I say, I was not overly impressed with the way the Allen key mechanism operated - in fact, it didn't seem to do much at all regarding tensioning, simply making the whole thing firmer all round. I hope it has done the trick - if not, it's going back as it's a lot of cash for something so straightforward.

I've only recently owned a Manfrotto after years owning various but similar Velbon tripods. There's no doubt that the 700RC2 head puts the Velbon to shame but I'm not 100% impressed with its quality of construction. The 055 tripod, though is, so far, proving to be a top class product.

I did have use of a 128RC head for a short time prior to buying the 700RC2. I didn't like it especially; I remember thinking of it as bulky, heavy and a rather old-fashioned design - yet many swear by it, so these things are subjective.

I've had another look at my pan/tilt handle. I'm sure those threads won't strip so crank 'em up a bit more, maybe?

scampo said:
I've had another look at my pan/tilt handle. I'm sure those threads won't strip so crank 'em up a bit more, maybe?

Will do-perhaps a bit of scaffold tube placed over it will create the requisite torque ;)
Having whinged a bit about this head,have to say I'm very impressed with the Manfrotto tripod I bought at the same time-Carbonone443.

Ah - if only my wallet (or rather my long-suffering wife's patience...) would stretch that far. To put a 128RC on that little beauty wouldn't seem right. I'd persevere.

Ah - they're not all mine. One's my son's and the other is - when he gets round to collecting it - my brother's! We'll end up with the Zeiss 85 and either the Swaro 65 or Nikon 82 (which just came back from Nikon after a simple repair - but took almost three months!).

Nadine said:

Nad

I am about same height (168cm) and I have the same scope, as well as almost the same tripods as you consider. Mine are the 055 and the 290, the latter has a somewhat longer center column than the 190. Now, for looking up into the sky or into trees, I would NOT recommend the 190. Even the 290 is often a bother to use. However, the 055 is SO heavy! Thus, the perfect tripod still does not exist (c.f. the corresponding thread here). Both tripods are sturdy, but for the 055 you really need some padding for the shoulders. If you don't mind the costs, look into carbon-fibre types, as well. Robert

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back