• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Griswold's Birding Year 2014 (1 Viewer)

Had a decent hour with my 3 year old at Penclacwydd this afternoon. On arriving I was told of a possible Isabelline Wheatear on the Gower. Having promised the boy he could feed the ducks we left it at that. Ducks duly fed we nipped into the British Steel Hide. Heaps of Black Tailed Godwits and quite a few Knot around. A single Ruff showed itself on the pond behind.

After a little searching No. 178 showed itself, or themselves to be more precise.

178. Curlew Sandpiper

About to leave I bumped into another very experienced birder who was convinced the Wheatear was the real deal. I figured that with the directions I had I'd have about 10 mins to look for it. I needed to be back in Neath to pick up my eldest at 3:20 from school. I absolutely could not be late on his first day. As it happened I got back with 10 mins to spare as what I thought were the bird/s showed very quickly. A few poor photos were taken and off I shot. It'll be interesting to hear the general consensus on the RBI Forum.

Rich

Enjoyable couple of hours wandering around Goldcliff and Newport Wetlands this morning. The usual at the Wetlands - Grebes, Common Whitethroats, Blackcaps, Reed Buntings etc. etc.

Over at Goldcliff a few Ruff were dotted around along with Greenshanks, Redshanks, a Spotted Redshank, Blackwits etc. and a Marsh Sandpiper was showing very well from platform 2.

Added the following:

179. Little Stint (+). Lifer # 11B :)B :)B :)
180. White Wagtail

Possibly the worst photo of a Little Stint you'll see below and the Marsh Sandpiper.

Rich

Attachments

• IMG_6634.JPG
    IMG_6634.JPG
    187.5 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_6640.JPG
    IMG_6640.JPG
    363.7 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Nipped down to Kidwely Quay this morning - always an enjoyable couple of hours. The Hawke was performing great allowing ID's that I just couldn't make with my bins alone. Whilst going through the Redshanks and Dunlins a beautiful female Marsh Harrier went past and continued to quarter over the marsh in front of me. On a relatively low mag it was easy to follow with the big scope - the green wing tags being extremely prominent.

Walking back 20 yards I decided to scan the canal. A fellow birder Clive arrived with the aim of getting a shot of the Water Rail. We must have been here for 45 mins or so having great views of the Rail and a pair of Kingfishers. Clive has a Welsh list well in excess of 300 (350ish??????) and was a pleasure to chat to. Clive also mentioned a good spot to find Green Sandpipers just outside of Kidwely that I was unaware of. After having given directions Clive went one better and drove there with me following. Sure enough, there was the Green Sandpiper. Clive was also kind enough to direct me to some other decent birding areas that I had not been to before.

All in all a very enjoyable morning and I hope your OH is feeling better soon Clive.

181. Green Sandpiper

Below are a couple of grabs of the Rail:

Attachments

• IMG_6660.JPG
    IMG_6660.JPG
    531.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_6663.JPG
    IMG_6663.JPG
    491.7 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_6668.JPG
    IMG_6668.JPG
    474.8 KB · Views: 63
Was in Cardiff the other day. Had this down as the male Lesser Scaup that's been seen but as I only picked it out of a photo when I got home, I won't count it:C

Attachments

• IMG_6697.JPG
    IMG_6697.JPG
    180.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_6698.JPG
    IMG_6698.JPG
    210.6 KB · Views: 85
Just come back from a couple of nights in Cornwall. The primary reason was to celebrate OH's 40th. Stayed in Padstow and enjoyed watching the Turnstones walking around the harbour.

We had meals at Restaurant Nathan Outlaw and The Pescadou. Both excellent and both totally different. On the way we stopped at Hams Wall for a quick walk. Plenty of wildfowl about along with a Marsh Harrier and Great White Egret. On the way back we stopped in at Slimbridge. Another Marsh Harrier here along with quite a few superb male Pintails. Also added the following:

183. Bewicks Swan
184. Common Crane
185. White Fronted Goose.

Headed West to Carmarthenshire to pick up a Christmas present for my parents today. On the way back came home via some back roads and picked up species #186 within a couple of miles of last year's bird.

186. Hen Harrier:t:

Had a cracking morning around Cwm Cadlan this morning despite dipping on the GGS by about an hour and the Crossbill that had been around. Heaps of Fieldfares around along with a couple of Kestrel. Went for a wander through the snow flurries in the forest and managed to flush up:

187. Woodcock (+)

Rich

Last edited:
Had a cracking day at Whiteford Point yesterday. The weather was absolutely stunning. Tried with another birder from Cardiff to re-locate the Red Necked Grebe from yesterday but to no avail. 2-3 Slavs were present along with some Great Crested Grebes. Most of the wildfowl was fairly distant though as I was told that a couple of dog walkers had passed in front of the hide earlier - it happens.

On the way back we stopped to talk to a couple (not the same) who had the most gorgeous Giant Schnauzer. He was really enjoying having a fuss. A few Common Buzzards were dotted around and a few Bullfinches, Long Tailed Tits, Winter Thrushes etc.

Didn't get the hoped for Grey Plover but it really didn't matter one bit.

Attachments

• IMG_7079.JPG
    IMG_7079.JPG
    423.2 KB · Views: 67
Dipped again on the Great Grey Shrike today at Cwm Cadlan/ Garwnant - hopefully you had better luck with the Gyr Falcon Ian. Again, didn't matter one bit as the weather was great and the walk through the forest excellent. Did add the following:

188. Common Crossbill (+)

A flock of around half a dozen or so were in the tops of the pines. It's rare that I get to see these birds so it was quite a treat. On the road over the usual winter Thrushes were around and it was good to see Kestrels apparently doing well in the area. The last few times I've been up I've seen a couple each time.

Attachments

• IMG_7107.JPG
    IMG_7107.JPG
    286.2 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Barring a Brambling on the feeders - unlikely:-O I think that's it for 2014.

To sum up 2014:

Best Bird(s)

9 Bittern in the air at the same time at Ham's WallB :)

Closely followed by Skuas on Handa, Purple Sands at Aberavon and Rouzels and Eagle in Aberdeenshire.

Birding Highlights:

Quite a few this year. A cracking day spent with Ian (Ben Nevis) in Aberdeenshire - cheers mate and hopefully catch up again in MarchB :). Driving across Scotland listening to The Doors and then heading over to Handa with my parents - superb:t: The food in The Shorehouse was superb as well. A day at Ham's Wall with 2 lifers means it's most definitely on next year's itinerary as well8-P. (thanks to DevonBirder for your advice:t:). A day out in Mid-Wales with the Carmarthenshire Bird Club was a good day - Yellowhammers, Marsh Tits, Kites, Cuckoos, Wood Warblers, Pied Flycatchers, Redstarts etc. etc. Dinas is always worth a visit. Oh, and not involving any birds but crashing out under a tree at the side of Lochindorb was very relaxing8-P

188 to beat next yearo:D

All the best fellow BFers and happy birding in 2015.

Rich

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back