• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

C-ring scheme for a green-flagged Dunlin? (1 Viewer)

Strandman

A bit of a long shot, but just in case anyone happens to recognise the scheme that this bird comes from. It was on the Stour in Suffolk last month.

I've tried the Dunlin projects on the crbirding and IWSG database (relevant lines attached), but none use c-rings on both tarsus and tibia on both legs, and I have had polite "not one of ours" responses from the scheme contacts. It is possible I have hit the wrong buttons and missed something on one or other database, but i don't think so.

Google told me that green flag over pale blue on the tibia is the scheme identifier for arcticola Dunlin from Prudhoe Bay in Alaska and that scheme uses a three ring identifier on the other leg...which nearly gave me a heart attack in the context of this bird! But one of those birds over here is wildly improbable of course. Anyway, the contacts for that scheme tell me they never put a colour ring over the metal ring, so it isn't theirs despite the common elements.

So I am a bit stumped- any suggestions welcome!

Attachments

• Dunlinpics copy.jpg
    Dunlinpics copy.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 74
  • screenshot_5025.jpg
    screenshot_5025.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 51
never put a colour ring over the metal ring, so it isn't theirs despite the common elements.

So I am a bit stumped- any suggestions welcome!

Not impossible for a plastic colour ring to slip down over the metal ring below it. Can depend on which ring size and fitting method was considered 'best practice'.

Not impossible for a plastic colour ring to slip down over the metal ring below it. Can depend on which ring size and fitting method was considered 'best practice'.

Can happen- but the metal ring is visible Ok on this one below the right tarsus yellow. So the question is who might have been using metal ring plus 5 c-rings plus flag- might be a small unregistered scheme I guess, so I may just have to write it off as one that got away.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back