• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tiny, Miniature, Pocket instruments (1 Viewer)

Well I purchased both the anniversary 6x and 7x. I preferred and kept the 6x. I find that they are so small it's hard to get a steady hold and found the 6x better for my whatever. The quality is outstanding. I have to say the image quality of my 8x20 Leica Ultravids are better when comparing to the 7x Nikons. I was looking at the Kaneohe Air Station runway 2 miles across the bay and could clearly make out the larger markers (numbers) with the Leica's. But, maybe that's because they are easier to hold. It's not an apples to apples test. But, the Nikon's are super cool, outstanding quality, and the image is impressive for the size. The center focus is not too stiff. The only improvement I would suggest is making the diopter adjustment stiffer since its easy to move out of place.
Overall a very impressive and unique optic.
Dave

Well I purchased both the anniversary 6x and 7x. I preferred and kept the 6x. I find that they are so small it's hard to get a steady hold and found the 6x better for my whatever. The quality is outstanding. I have to say the image quality of my 8x20 Leica Ultravids are better when comparing to the 7x Nikons. I was looking at the Kaneohe Air Station runway 2 miles across the bay and could clearly make out the larger markers (numbers) with the Leica's. But, maybe that's because they are easier to hold. It's not an apples to apples test. But, the Nikon's are super cool, outstanding quality, and the image is impressive for the size. The center focus is not too stiff. The only improvement I would suggest is making the diopter adjustment stiffer since its easy to move out of place.
Dave

Dave,

Does the 6x15 have any special anniversary markings?

Edmund

Glad you liked them. Interesting you liked the 6x better. So you thought the 8x20 Leica Ultravid was better. i thought they were pretty close. You have to remember the little reverse-porro Nikon gives you a different type of view than the bigger roof. Hold them on opposite sides with you fingers. It is a different hold than a roof like the Leica Ultravid 8x20. I find I can hold them better than the roof that way. Nice little pocket binoculars though. Much better view and no harder to carry than a monocular.

Last edited:
Yes, I like them a lot. The hold I like is one hand, three fingers. They are amazing for the size and yes, much better than the Doctor monocular...which is pretty cool too.

The 8x20 Ultravids are clearly better...at least my samples. I didn't do much of a comparison other than looking at an airport 2 miles away.

For a travel binocular I still think the Swaro 8x25 is the best. Small and truly amazing view.

I don't know how much use the Mikrons will get but they are so small, high quality, and excellent view that I'll be hanging on to them.

Thanks,
Dave

I have the Swaro 8x25 also. It is my favorite compact. I liked it better than the Zeiss 8x25 Victory for the sharper edges and it fit's my eye sockets and matches the eye relief better. The Mikron is nice to carry anywhere because it is so small. All of the little ones need careful eye placement.

Here's another photo comparison.

I sold a Nikon SE and nice Zeiss 8x because I liked the 8x25's so much. They are amazing.

Attachments

• IMG_3789.jpg
    IMG_3789.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_3787.jpg
    IMG_3787.jpg
    483.9 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_3790.jpg
    IMG_3790.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 143
For some reason, these little binoculars have really wormed thier way into my head, and I find myself really kind of itching for a pair...

But I keep on writing them off..

Thing is, I wear glasses - rimless ones which actually sit quite close to my eyes - I get the full field of view (just) with my Nikon Eii 8x30s which have a nominal eye relief of 13mm. So my question would be, would these little Mikrons with an eye relief of 10mm really not be that good for me?

I kind of feel that they probably won't work that well (even with my rimless glasses) - but they are so neat and nice that I still kind of want a pair.

Someone please tell me that they won't play nice with glasses, so that I can just stop wanting a pair...

For some reason, these little binoculars have really wormed thier way into my head, and I find myself really kind of itching for a pair...

But I keep on writing them off..

Thing is, I wear glasses - rimless ones which actually sit quite close to my eyes - I get the full field of view (just) with my Nikon Eii 8x30s which have a nominal eye relief of 13mm. So my question would be, would these little Mikrons with an eye relief of 10mm really not be that good for me?

I kind of feel that they probably won't work that well (even with my rimless glasses) - but they are so neat and nice that I still kind of want a pair.

Someone please tell me that they won't play nice with glasses, so that I can just stop wanting a pair...

MandoBear,

I should have a pair of the 7x sometime in the next two weeks. My glasses sound the same as yours. My ER / FOV experience is the same as yours on the 8x30 E II. I'll let you know.

Mike

Nice pictures! You got the silver Mikron's. They look nice looking although they are not quite as good optically as the black ones.;) I bought another Zeiss 8x25 Victory to try. Now that I have my new hand cup method of holding binoculars I don't think the smallish eye cups of the Zeiss will bother me. I like the compacts. I like to carry them so much better than the big glasses. Although the other evening I had my Swarovski 8x25 CL-P, Leica Ultravid 8x20 and Habicht 7x42 out comparing them and the little guy's kind of lose their appeal when the sun starts going down. The Habicht 7x42 with it's 96% transmission and 6mm exit pupil really starts coming into it's own. It rules the night without a doubt! It is almost like night vision.

Last edited:
MandoBear,

I should have a pair of the 7x sometime in the next two weeks. My glasses sound the same as yours. My ER / FOV experience is the same as yours on the 8x30 E II. I'll let you know.

Mike
Thanks - I'll look forward to your findings with interest.
Michael

Thanks - I'll look forward to your findings with interest.
Michael

Mandobear,

The Nikon 7x15s arrived today. Excellent and very useful image for the minute size. In testing to answer your question there is some loss of FOV with my close fitting rimless prescription glasses, not unacceptable perhaps but noticeable. I never use my glasses with bins so it's not an issue for me. But I have some doubt based on my experience whether these would be a worthwhile choice for anyone who has to routinely use bins with glasses. For example I lose no FOV at all with Leica UV 8x20 using /testing with the same glasses.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Hi Mike,
That's useful information about the loss of FOV with glasses. I had kind of talked myself out of getting a pair of these anyway (like, do I really need ANOTHER pair of bins...?), but it's useful to have some practical, factual justification for not making a purchase... :-O
Thanks for reporting back,

Michael

P.S. They are cute, though. :)

Michael,

After using the 7x more today and comparing the written specs of the 7x and 6x, I've done the only responsible thing and just ordered the 6x as well. The 6x has a much wider FOV ,140m vs 122m, "Brightness" 6.3 vs 4.4 (FWIW) and of course the 2.5 EP. vs 2.1. Not significant probably but 10.1 mm ER vs. 10. Maybe the combination of all those factors will make the 6x more worthwhile with glasses. The 3D image is well worth it if the model will work for you.

I'll keep you posted.

Mike

I can’t complain about my Leica 8x20 Ultravids. I used to carry them a lot for casual walks around the lake, but mostly sling a full sized pair now when I get outside. Stunning little binoculars, but I’m more sensitive to exit pupil size than I used to be.

I’m taking offers and trades on them if anyone’s interested. Check the classifieds.

Dave

I agree. Comparing the 7x15 with the 6x for one week, both are nice but I slightly prefer the 6 for brighter, sharper, slightly more stable view, greater DOF and much wider FOV. The 7 is nice as well and the higher mag is noticeable. Both are usable but not great with glasses which I don't wear anyway. Either model very worthwhile if you want an ultra compact pair and don't have to use glasses. Both are marked "Nikon Since 1917". Nice to have the ocular covers. FWIW I also like the silver and black color scheme of the 6 better.

Mike

Here are a pair of pocket binoculars that are 1/2 the weight of the Nikon Mikron's 7x15 at 65 grams the Nikon 4x10 DCF roof prisms with a 10 degree FOV. They are more for opera and theatre but they work quite well for a tiny pocketable binocular for any use. They are surprisingly sharp. They sell these at the Metropolitan Opera.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RNMEEE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/sportoptics/binoculars/elegant/4x10dcf/spec.htm

Attachments

• pic_001.jpg
    pic_001.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back