• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandwell Valley (2 Viewers)

3 Goldeneye (1m, 2f) Swan Pool this morning, females still present early afternoon per Matt Hadlington
Good Birding YAMYAM

2 Skylark over Marigold Marsh/ Brown's this morning, heading towards Salter's area per Matt Hadlington
Good Birding YAMYAM

Had a great day today not many people around early 7am but good birding with many species around, most of the water on the main lake forge mill that is was thinly iced over with many species hugging the sides in the free flowing water.
The water on Swan Pool was again thinly frozen with good areas of free flowing water, again many species around weather was a little chilly in the shade but quite warm in the sun.
It was good to see so many people around once 9.30 had come around and great to have good banter with the staff and volunteers.

Great views of the Yellow legged gull on the gull resting bars by the island on Swan pool also on here were Goldeneye (Drake) and 11 x Little grebe with Mistle thrush in the shrubs at the end of the car park (Swan Pool).

As I was walking back towards Forge mill farm a Kestrel flew over from the direction of the Golf Course only to be seen for a few seconds on the roof of the farm shop a few minutes later.

Did notice a large black bird approaching from behind the farm shop and then the bird started calling this gave me the confidence to say Raven.

Now for the species seen today (these will be alphabetical order sorry) -

Black headed gull, Blackbird, Blue tit, Bullfinch, Canada goose, Carrion crow, Chaffinch, Coal tit, Collared dove, Common snipe, Coot, Cormorant, Dunnock, Fieldfare (over), Gadwall, Goldeneye, Goldfinch, Goosander, Great crested grebe, Great tit, Green woodpecker, Greenfinch, Grey heron, Grey wagtail, House sparrow, Jack snipe, Kestrel, Lapwing, Lesser black backed gull, Little egret, Little grebe, Long tailed tit, Magpie, Mallard, Mistle thrush, Moorhen, Mute swan, Oystercatcher, Pheasant, Pied wagtail, Raven (over calling), Redwing, Reed bunting, Ring necked parakeet, Robin, Shoveler, Siskin, Song thrush, Sparrowhawk, Starling, Teal, Tufted duck, Wigeon, Willow tit, Woodpigeon, Wren & Yellow legged gull

One thing I noticed yesterday and I really couldn't understand why even though the staff in the hide did try their best to explain.

Why is there no SIGHTINGS BOOK IN THE HIDE this is a MUST for all good reserves that don't have wardens with the technology at hand to get previous sightings dates and information so the interested public of which their are many can see for themselves where and when the species they are looking for actually arrived or were seen last.

The lack of such a useful source of information is bewildering the only information you can gain from staff (not their fault I must add) is to what species are about on that day.

This is to be honest a Stupid situation and a serious lack of interest from the management towards their customers.

PLEASE PUT RIGHT ASAP.

Rant over.

They did say yesterday that the now have to fill in these sheets on a day to day basic as you say there's always been one in the past just can't believe they've changed it for the worst but that's management for you.

Stonechat in Marsh per Craig Reed, more than likely the same bird I had on Tuesday.

Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
Salters Lane quick Visit :-

Jackdaw x80
Magpie x45
Wood Pigeon x40
Mistle Thrush x2
Buzzard
Redwing
Green Woodpecker
Pied Wagtail
Meadow Pipit x2
Goldfinch
Greenfinch
House Sparrow c8
Starling c27

Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
for anyone interested the Stonechat was to the right hand side of the Old Hay pits per John Clarke
Good Birding YAMYAM

Little egret was from the hide looking to the left down in the corner in and out of the reeds you would probably had better views from the band stand I think
The pheasant was just coming off the golf course going into the scrub on the path on the left hand side as I walked from Forge Mill towards Swan pool in the small wooded area.

Little egret was from the hide looking to the left down in the corner in and out of the reeds you would probably had better views from the band stand I think
The pheasant was just coming off the golf course going into the scrub on the path on the left hand side as I walked from Forge Mill towards Swan pool in the small wooded area.

Cheers Adrian
Dave

Forge Mill from the Hide

Lapwing c12
Wigeon x10
Pochard X2
Greylag
Goosander x9
Gadwall c8
Shoveler x6
Cormorant
Kingfisher