• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Identify this sleeping bird? (1 Viewer)

Nukkle Dragger

Last night, after dark, I was outside and noticed a shadow of something on the roof of my car... Further investigation turned up this little fellow...

He was sound asleep, and we were able to approach within two feet and take flash photos without waking him.

He's a little bit of a challenge to figure out, as his head is not visible (tucked under) and his feathers were all fluffed for warmth. Overall, he was maybe slightly larger than a baseball in his sleeping configuration. The photos are good close-ups, tho.

No idea if he was an adult or youngster, and can't say anything about his song or behavior, other than sleeping out in the open like that.

We found it odd that he was sleeping so soundly right out in the open like that, but he was still there when we went to bed, and was gone this morning, leaving his "calling card" on the roof of the car.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what this is?

Attachments

• P1000610a.JPG
    P1000610a.JPG
    340 KB · Views: 140
  • P1000611a.JPG
    P1000611a.JPG
    285 KB · Views: 170
Welcome to BF, ND

I would guess at a young American Robin....never easy without the head! ;)
As to his parting gift, I suppose birds have never heard the saying 'Don't sh*t where you sleep'..... ;)

Also, if you have any more id queries, stick them in the Bird Identification Q & A section as lots more people will see your posts

Cheers
Ads

Thanks BirdBoy - now that I know what to look for, I've found other photos that would confirm your guess - the mottled breast with orange around the edges seems to be the clincher, plus the fact that we have scads of Robins in the neighborhood.

Anyone have any ideas why he'd be sleeping out in the open like that? I've never seen that before... Did Mom and Dad kick him out, and with the economy the way it is, can't afford his own place? :)

Thanks BirdBoy - now that I know what to look for, I've found other photos that would confirm your guess - the mottled breast with orange around the edges seems to be the clincher, plus the fact that we have scads of Robins in the neighborhood.

Anyone have any ideas why he'd be sleeping out in the open like that? I've never seen that before... Did Mom and Dad kick him out, and with the economy the way it is, can't afford his own place? :)

The parents don't kick them out of the nest per say. The fledglings come out of the nest even though they are not yet ready to fly. This bird should be flying within a few days I'd guess. They are actually more vulnerable in the nest as babies, so as soon as they are fully fledged (meaning they are fully feathered and their muscles are developed enough that they can fly very soon) they come out of the nest and usually try to stay hidden in a bush or some shelter (car roof is a bit odd lol). Their bodies are also able to thermoregulate (create their own heat) at this point. When in the nest as babies the parents keep them warm. When they are out of the nest the parents keep an eye on them from a distance and continue to bring them food and feed them. This bird was not abandoned...he or she is just getting used to being out of the nest and will fly soon ! :)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back