• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Veagle's 2014 List (1 Viewer)

veagle

Well, I am getting started a bit late this year. I have been doing this documentation since 2009, and I guess I would be less than honest if I didn't say that doing the routine January birds in South Dakota is less than very exciting, particularly this year. All the finches that visited last year are long gone. No Redpolls this year, and very few Pine Siskins.

But the larger issue is to come up with my birding goals for 2014. It all depends on perspective. I will no doubt see more species this year than I have ever seen in a single year. In a couple of weeks, my wife and I will spend a week in Panama, our first birding in the Neotropics. In April, we will visit Texas, and in October, we have a week scheduled in Ecuador. So I am expecting a boat-load of lifers. I am thinking that the two overseas trips could add 400 lifers to my list, and maybe 500 species total. Other travel will include New Mexico in the summer, a possible quick trip to Boston in April, and eastern South Dakota in May, and this might be a pretty good year, from an ABA perspective. I guess I will look again at a goal of 400 ABA species, but it won't be easy. World total of 800 would be outstanding.

Lastly, I am looking to work on my county lists in South Dakota, along with some local birding friends. I want to increase the number of counties in which I have seen 100 species.

I know all these quantitative goals seem pretty anal, but I do also really, really, love to just get out there, often by myself, and enjoy the process.

The birding of 2014 got off to a decent start on the 1st of the year. After finding the Pacific Wren the day before, I re-found it today. Also had an American Dipper in the local creek, which is highly unusual, and also added two birds that seem to be wintering here this year, a Great Blue Heron, and a Pied-billed Grebe.

January 1 - Rapid City, SD

1. Dark-eyed Junco
2. Eurasian Collared-Dove
3. Downy Woodpecker
4. Black-capped Chickadee
5. Red-breasted Nuthatch
6. White-breasted Nuthatch
7. House Finch
8. House Sparrow
9. Canada Goose
10. Gadwall
11. Mallard
12. Redhead
13. Bufflehead
14. Common Goldeneye
15. Pied-billed Grebe
16. Great Blue Heron
17. American Coot
18. Rock Pigeon
19. Belted Kingfisher
20. Northern Flicker
21. American Crow
22. Pacific Wren
23. American Dipper
24. Townsend's Solitaire
25. American Robin
26. Northern Harrier

January 1 - Hermosa, SD

27. Red-tailed Hawk

January 1 - Custer County, SD

28. Wild Turkey
29. Bald Eagle

Last edited:
Some additional birds this morning in the backyard, and on the way to work

January 2 - Rapid City, SD

30. American Goldfinch
31. European Starling

Snowshoeing in the Hills with our daughter and son-in-law, we came across a number of nice Gray Jays.

January 3 - Lawrence County, SD

32. Gray Jay

Picked up some additional year birds in and around town, including a nice Prairie Falcon, seen perched on a power tower.

January 4 - 10, Rapid City, SD

33. Common Merganser
34. Ring-necked Duck
35. Blue Jay
36. Sharp-shinned Hawk
37. Hairy Woodpecker
38. Rough-legged Hawk
39. Prairie Falcon

Went on an outing with the Northern Hills Bird Clug in Lawrence County, then picked up a few additional raptors around town.

Jan. 11 - Lawrence County, SD

40. Golden Eagle
41. American Tree Sparrow

Jan 12 - 17, Rapid City, SD

42. American Kestrel
43. Ferruginous Hawk

Went out on a vain search for Snowy Owls this morning, with no luck. They mostly seem to be on the East Coast this year. But picked up a few typical winter birds, Horned Lark, and Lapland Longspur. Oh, and a Merlin. Then drove over to the Schroeder Forest Area, where there were a good number of Pygmy Nuthatches. Even saw a couple of them in a second location on my way home.

Jan. 18 - north of New Underwood, SD

44. Horned Lark
45. Lapland Longspur
46. Merlin

Jan. 19 - Schroeder Forest Service Area

47. Pygmy Nuthatch

I just returned from my first trip to the Neotropics. We went on a trip to the Canopy Lodge in Panama with VENT. Before starting the trip, we stayed in a motel in Panama City adjacent to the Canal. I went for an early morning walk, and later Karen and I retraced our steps, and we added a number of new birds, most notably a Keel-billed Toucan, which really said to me, "Your not in South Dakota, anymore!".

January 31 - Panama City, Panama

48. Plain Wren
49. Summer Tanager
50. Tropical Kingbird
51. Magnificent Frigatebird
52. Brown Pelican
53. Great Egret
54. Lesser Yellow-headed Vulture
55. Laughing Gull
56. Royal Tern
57. Pale-vented Pigeon
58. Ruddy Ground-Dove
59. White-tipped Dove
60. White-vented Plumeleteer
61. Keel-billed Toucan;)
62. Red-crowned Woodpecker
63. Yellow-crowned Parrot
64. Yellow-bellied Elaenia
65. Lesser Kiskadee
66. Great Kiskadee
67. Clay-colored Thrush
68. Tropical Mockingbird
69. Yellow Warbler
70. Crimson-backed Tanager
71. Great-tailed Grackle
72. Black Vulture
73. Broad-winged Hawk
74. Willet
75. Whimbrel
76. Barred Antshrike :t:
77. Blue-gray Tanager
78. Streaked Saltator

Jan. 31 - Canopy Tower, Panama

79. White-necked Jacobin

Jan. 31 - Miraflores Locks, Panama

80. Osprey

Today our real trip began. But before that happened, I went out for about 50 minutes this morning to look for some new birds. Got out a little before dawn. I had a Plain-breasted Ground Dove, a really nice Red-breasted Blackbird, and a group of about 100 Neotropic Cormorants flew inland from the Canal, heading east. I also got a really nice look at a Ringed Kingfisher, and just before I went in a Thick-billed Euphonia, high in the trees near the entrance to the Hotel.

We then loaded into the van for the quick drive up to Canopy Tower. Waiting for things to get started, we got good looks at the Jacobins again, but also the Blue-chested Hummingbird, and a White-lined Tanager.

The drive up to El Valle, where the Canopy Lodge is located, took a couple of hours, during which we must have seen hundreds of Vultures, but little else.

Once we arrived at the Grounds of the lodge, the feeders were stocked with fruit, and we were greeted by a dozen or so Gray-headed Chachalacas, lots of Clay-colored thrushes, and a good number of Blue-Gray Tananagers, and Thick-billed Euphonias. But we also got scope views of a Green Emerald, and then the Oropendelas came in in numbers. Also got some great looks at Collared Aracari, which were amazing. From our room's balcony, we spotted the first of several Rufous-tailed Hummingbirds.

After a brief rest, we walked up the road to Canopy Adventure. On our way, we spotted a Three-toe Sloth, which was just scratching the hell out of himself. We saw lots of Keel-billed Toucans, a Rufous Mot-mot, which was amazing, and a variety of warblers, including Chestnut-sided, Bay-breasted ,Tennessee, Golden-winged, and best of all two Rufous-capped.

A long day, but a very satisfying one.

February 1 - Panama City, Panaa

81. Neotropic Cormorant
82. Turkey Vulture
83. Plain-breasted Ground-Dove
84. Ringed Kingfisher
85. Southern Rough-winged Swallow
86. Red-breasted Blackbird
87. Thick-billed Euphonia

Feb. 1 - Canopy Tower, Panama

88. Blue-chested Hummingbird
89. White-lined Tanager

Feb. 1 - Canopy Lodge & Vicinity, Panama

90. Gray-headed Chachalaca
91. Green Hermit
92. Striped-throat Hermit
93. Green Thorntail
94. Rufous-tailed Hummingbird
95. Rufous Motmot
96. Collared Aracari
97. Orange-chinned Parakeet
98. Blue-headed Parrot
99. Ochre-bellied Flycatcher
100. Dusky-capped Flycatcher
101. Gray-breasted Martin
102. Golden-winged Warbler
103. Tennessee Warbler
104. Bay-breasted Warbler
105. Chestnut-sided Warbler
106. Rufous-capped Warbler
107. Flame-rumped Tanager
108. Bay-headed Tanager
109. Dusky-faced Tanager
110. Buff-throated Saltator
111. Orange-billed Sparrow
112. Chestnut-headed Oropendola

Today, we spent the morning birding at two locations above El Valle, in an area known as La Mesa. The day started out in our driving slowly up to La Mesa, during which we stopped a couple of times for Social Flycatchers, and Black-striped Sparrows. Once we reached La Mesa, our first stop was Las Minas Trail. As we started up the well traveled trail, we spotted a pair of Southern Lapwings, along with a Giant Cowbird. The birds started coming very fast, and at times it was difficult to keep up with all the new species. Some highlights. We saw our first Silver-throated Tanagers, and Red-crowned Ant Tanagers.

The first of quite a few Tawny Crested Tanagers, showed up, a smart-looking bird, mostly a velvety black, shared by the Flame-rumped, and Crimson-backed Tanagers, with a rufousy crest that really stands out. We also saw Dusky-faced Tanagers, described aptly by their name. The wrens are not easy to spot, but we located a Tawny-face Gnat-Wren, along with a White-breasted Wren. After trying, unsuccessfully, to scare up an Antpitta, a favorite family of our Guide, Kevin Zimmer, we headed back to the van, on the way seeing some Southern Rough-winged Swallows, as well as a Yellow-headed Caracara.

After snacks, we proceeded to the Candelaria Trail, just a bit higher in the valley. This was quite a scenic area, started out in some open area, where we spotted some Smooth-billed Ani's perched. I've seen so many pictures of them, it was really nice to finally see the real thing. Once into the rain-forest portion of the trail, which had only recently been cut largely by the Canopy Lodge crew, we found what I believe was the first of many wood creepers. Much larger than our Brown Creepers, kind of a cross between them and our Woodpeckers. The bills can be very specialized, and they were not easy to tell apart. Hummingbirds are, of course, quite plentiful, and we came across a very attractive Violet-crowned Wood-nymph, as well as a Scale-crested Pygmy-Tyrant. But the real "work" began when Kevin and Danilo heard the call of a Streak-chested Antpitta.

It probably took us a good hour at least, but we were all able to acquire excellent looks at the bird, which would sometimes perch just off the forest-floor. The hunt itself, made the acquisition of the target really something worth remembering. On our way back to the van, we ran into a mixed flock of birds which contained Chestnut-sided and Black-and-White Warblers, and a Canada Warbler, which was in full breeding plumage, it seemed, with the full dark blue necklace, on the bright yellow breast. Pretty nice bird. We also saw a nice White-bellied Antbird on our way back to the Van.

At this point, we headed down the Valley towards the Lodge, where we would have lunch, but we made a quick stop along the road, when Danilo spotted a Rufous-crested Coquette high in a tree near his home. I was lucky enough to be in a window-seat at the time, and by craning my neck, I was able to clearly make out the profile of this unique Hummer.

After lunch, we made the quick trip through El Valle, to the Cariquana Trail, where our targets were to be Tody Motmot, which was to become our nemesis bird, and Spectacled Owl. The habitat in this area was noticeably drier, semi-decidous forest, and we were first able to see some nice birds along the road, near some very nice homes, including Barred Antshrike, Rufous-crowned Warbler, which is fairly common here, Yellow-crowned Euphonia, Northern Barred Woodcreeper, and our only Plain Tanager of the trip, along with the ubiquitous Blue-Grey Tanagers. Once into the forest, we were greeted, almost immediately, by three very curious Spectacled Owls, arranged such that all three were visible in one field of view with our binoculars. Really striking! We tried to find Tody Motmot, and while not successful, we were rewarded by seeing it's cousin, the Blue-Crowned Motmot.

February 2 - Canopy Lodge, Panama

113. Snowy-bellied Hummingbird
114. House Wren
115. Bananaquit
116. Fulvous-vented Euphonia

February 2 - La Mesa, Cocle, Panama

117. Social Flycatcher
118. Yellow-faced Grassquit
119. Black-striped Sparrow
120. Cattle Egret
121. Southern Lapwing
122. Yellow-headed Caracara
123. White-ruffed Manakin
124. Rufous-breasted Wren
125. White-breasted Wood-wren
126. Tawny-faced Gnatwren
127. Tawny-crested Tanager
128. Silver-throated Tanager
129. Black-headed Saltator
130. Red-crowned Ant-Tanager
131. Shiny Cowbird
132. Giant Cowbird
133. Tawny-capped Euphonia
134. Smooth-billed Ani
135. Crowned Woodnymph
136. Orange-bellied Trogon
137. White-bellied Antbird
138. Spotted Woodcreeper
139. Streak-chested Antpitta;)
140. Scale-crested Pygmy-Tyrant
141. Black-and-White Warbler
142. Canada Warbler
143. Rufous-crested Coquette;)

February 2 - Cariguana Trail, El Valle, Panama

144. Gray-Lined Hawk
145. Spectacled Owl
146. Blue-crowned Motmot
147. Northern Barred-Woodcreeper
148. Cocoa Woodcreeper
149. Plain-colored Tanager
150. Yellow-crowned Euphonia

Last edited:
This was an all day trip to a newer residential area to the east of our location, known as Altos del Maria. We were to learn that this is an area favored by US and Canadian retirees. It is a private community, and there are relatively few homes built, but a fairly extensive set of roads up and down the rugged hillsides. We had to make the trip in 4 4-wheel drive vehicles, which gives you a good idea how steep the roads are. Good thing they don't have to worry about snow removal!

Our first stop was the only relatively flat section of a very steep area, and it proved to be extremely productive. Aside from a good group of Tanagers, we almost immediately spotted a very nice Emerald (Blue-throated) Toucanet. We got extremely good looks at a pair of Barred Hawks, that were apparently a bit out of their range, and an Orange-billed Trogan posed nicely for us directly overhead, while a female Hepatic Tanager sang continuously from a very tall tree nearby. We got our first looks at Common Bush-Tanagers here, as well as our only views of Black and Yellow Tanagers. And Kevin Zimmer spotted a pair of Brown-headed Parrots, going by quickly overhead. Actually, he explained to us how you can often identify parrots by how they fly, which was quite instructive.

Our next stop was a "miniature golf course" built on some very hilly terrain, which would make it virtually impossible to ever really sink a putt, except by blind luck. Anyway, as we entered the area, a very large tree loomed ahead, which was just inundated by a large mixed flock of birds, which included Tropical Pewee, Bananquit, the first of several confiding Tufted Flycathers, Silver-throated Tanangers, and a Purple-throated Mountain Gem.

Our next stop was focused on locating a beautiful, tiny hummingbird called the Snowcap. It was largely dark purple, except for a stunning white cap. It didn't take long for us to locate on, along with a Violet-headed Hummingbird. The Snowcaps made a point at feeding high in a nearby tree that had tiny white flowers. As the tree was maybe only 25 feet high, we were able to get good views of it feeding, as well as perched in several locations. Once satisfied with the views we got, we moved down the road just a hundred feet or so, near a stream, where we were entertained by a group of Dull-mantled Antbirds. The combination of seeing these small birds clearly perched for minutes at a time, singing their song, and consequently being able to identify all the field marks, was very satisfying. Everyone really enjoyed this bird. Nearby we also had another Blue-throated Toucanet, as well as a very attractive Smokey Brown Woodpecker.

We then came to a lake in an attractive setting, with a covered picnic area, where we had a great lunch. I spotted a Hawk while eating that turned out to be a Short-tailed Hawk, and we saw the first of several Little Blue Herons we were to see on the trip, as well, as a Belted Kingfisher, and a Spotted Sandpiper, doing its familiar bobbing act along the shoreline. Also perched on a log across the way was a Long-tailed Tyrant. I didn't realize how attractive this bird is, until I looked later at my field guide, and I wished I had spent a bit more time studying it.

After lunch, we started on a hike, which began along the shore of the lake, on a concrete-paved pathway. We saw some very attractive Golden-Hooded Tanagers, and a Green Hermit, and spotted a Green Heron flying across the lake.

At this point we branched off from the lake and followed a narrow path for another half mile or so, before turning around. Things were fairly quiet, but this was the spot were Kevin had seen Black-crowned Antpitta last year, and he and Danilo worked hard to locate the bird. Even after it started calling it was not immediately clear that it would become visible for us, but eventually it was, in spectacular fashion, fully exposed on a horizontal branch maybe a foot or so off the floor of the forest. There should be some great pictures of this bird, and again, the Antpitta was a source of a big celebration. On the way back to the picnic area we had a neck-breaker of a Rufous-browed Tyrannulet, and then got good looks at a Rufous-rumped Warbler, which I had never heard of before, but which was unmistakable. After seeing a group of Bay Wrens, which were more clearly vidible than most Wrens had been on this trip, we had a spectacular view of a Lineated Woodpecker, with the sunlight illuminating its bright red crest, and and lastly a distant view of a Green Kingfisher.

An outstanding day!

February 3 - Altos del Maria, Panama

151. Black Guan
152. Little Blue Heron
153. Green Heron
154. Barred Hawk
155. Short-tailed Hawk
156. Spotted Sandpiper
157. Green-crowned Brilliant
158. Purple-throated Mountain-Gem
159. Violet-headed Hummingbird
160. Snowcap
161. Green Kingfisher
162. Emerald Toucanet
163. Smoky-brown Woodpecker
164. Lineated Woodpecker
165. Brown-hooded Parrot
166. Spot-crowned Antvireo
167. Dull-mantled Antbird
168. Black-crowned Antpittao:D
169. Wedge-billed Woodcreeper
170. Brown-billed Scythbill
171. Spotted Barbtail
172. Red-faced Spinetail
173. Rufous-browed Tyrannulet
174. White-throated Spadebill
175. Olive-striped Flycatcher
176. Sulpher-rumped Flycatcher
177. Tufted Flycatcher
178. Tropical Pewee
179. Long-tailed Tyrant
180. Ochraceous Wren
181. Bay Wren
182. Gray-breasted Wood-wren
183. Buff-rumped Warbler
184. Golden-hooded Tanager
185. Black and Yellow Tanager
186. Common Chlorospingus (Common Bush-Tanager)
187. Hepatic Tanager

Today's outing was a wonderful illustration of the benefits of a guided tour of this type. We were heading toward the Pacific lowlands on a road between El Valle and the town of Anton. Our van started to misbehave, and it became clear that we were having significant technical problems.

So without displaying any annoyance or concern, Eliezer was dispatched to return to El Valle to arrange for alternative plans, and the rest of us proceeded _slowly_ down the road, until we stopped because Kevin was hearing some Yellow-Green Vireos, which we had not yet seen. As it turned out, we had a harder time finding any than he thought likely, but we had quite a few very nice birds as we waiting along this road. This started with the discovery of a Roadside Hawk perched nearby, a bird that is **very** difficult to find in the US. We then had a handful of Fork-tailed Flycatchers, displaying, and a good look at a Striped Cuckoo. A number of flycatchers were around the area, including the usual Tropical Kingbirds, but also Boat-billed Flycatcher, Common Tody-Flycatcher, Lesser Elaenia, Southern Beardless-Tyrannulet, and a particularly nice looking Panama Flycatcher. We had a Streaked Saltator, a few Red-legged Honeycreepers, one of which I initially thought was a Blue Grosbeak, and a couple of Baltimore Orioles.

After a while we did get another vehicle, and after transferring to it, we crossed the Pan-American Highway, and proceeded down a long road toward the Shore, which reminded me of the Joe Overstreet area in Florida. This road yielded some very nice additions to our trip list. We had both Smooth-billed and Groove-billed Ani, in close proximity. We spotted our only Ruby-throated Hummingbird of the trip, as well as a Garden Emerald, and a Sapphire-throated Hummingbird. Got a good look at the large Squirrel Cuckoo, and a look at a distant Bat Falcon perched at the top of a tree. Over a lake, there were a dozen or so Magnificent Frigatebirds, and later as we got closer to the Mangroves, we had our best look at some shorebirds. Present in highest numbers were Black-necked Stilt, but there were also Lesser and Greater Yellowlegs, a single Willet, and a number of Western Sandpipers. Four handsome White Ibis foew over, and we also had a look at both Little Blue and Tricolored Heron.

The road was torturously slow and rutted, but we made our way to a point where we parked and walked the remaining quarter mile to some Mangroves. Here we had magnificent looks at a Mangrove Cuckoo, which differs from the Yellow-billed by the yellow wash on its chest and belly. We also got a good look at the Mangrove Warbler, which is currently considered a subspecies of Yellow Warbler.

At this point we drove to the seaside town of Santa Clara, where our host at the Lodge, Raul, had a beach house, that we used as our lunch point. Extremely nice place. Perched in trees overhead, as well as flying nearby were many Magnificent Frigatebirds, and there were a few Brown Pelicans over the Pacific. And Danilo outdid himself, by calling in a Ferruginous Pygmy-Owl to a nearby tree, were we enjoyed scope views of this bird.

After a very nice lunch, we made our way back to El Valle, where we finished up the afternoon watching the feeders at the lodge. Another nice day in paradise.

February 4 - Pacific Lowlands, Panama

188. Roadside Hawk
189. Striped Cuckoo
190. Crested Caracara
191. Brown-throated Parakeet
192. Southern Beardless-Tyrannulet
193. Lesser Elaenia
194. Common Today-Flycatcher
195. Panama Flycatcher
196. Boat-billed Flycatcher
197. Fork-tailed Flycatcher
198. Lance-tailed Manakin
199. Yellow-green Vireo
200. Rufous-browed Peppershrike
201. Red-legged Honeycreeper
202. Ruddy-breasted Seedeater
203. Eastern Meadowlark
204. Baltimore Oriole
205. Blue-winged Teal
206. Snowy Egret
207. Tricolored Heron
208. White Ibis
209. White-tailed Kite
210. Common Black-Hawk
211. Savanna Hawk
212. Zone-tailed Hawk
213. Black-necked Stilt
214. Greater Yellowlegs
215. Lesser Yellowlegs
216. Western Sandpiper
217. Squirrel Cuckoo
218. Mangrove Cuckoo
219. Groove-billed Ani
220. Ruby-throated Hummingbird
221. Garden Emerald
222. Sapphire-throated Hummingbird
223. Bat Falcon
224. Straight-billed Woodcreeper
225. Mouse-colored Tyrannulet
226. Gray Kingbird
227. Barn Swallow
228. Palm Tanager
229. Variable Seedeater
230. Ferruginous Pygmy-Owl

For our last full day in Panama, the plan was as follows. After breakfast, and some feeder observation, we will head up to La Mesa and revisit the Candeleria Trail. But the exciting part comes afterwards. Apparently yesterday, the people at Canopy Adventure discovered a colony of army ants. This usually draws in a variety of antbirds, and the specific target is the Rufous-Vented Ground-Cuckoo, perhaps the number one target in this part of Panama.

It was our last chance this morning for us to see the Sunbittern that has made its way periodically down the streamed adjacent to the lodge. It was seen the first morning we were here, but we did not get there early enough, and missed it. Each morning since then, we have tried for it, and Danilo has tried to call it in, but to no avail. Again, today that effort was unsuccessful. Oh well, it gives us another reason (as if we needed one) to come back to this place in the future.

We drove up the winding, at times very rutted roads to the top of the plateau, known as La Mesa, and started into the Candeleria Trail. The birding along the trail was interesting as usual. There were a number of Southern Lapwings in the open area near the beginning of the trail. And a good number of Cattle Egrets, as well as the ever-present Chestnut-headed Oropendola, with their gurgling call. And a flyover Keel-billed Toucan, and a Bananaquit.

Kevin spotted a flyover Roadside Hawk, and as we entered the forest part of the trail, we got a quick look at a Song Wren. We didn't spend too long in the forest, and the birds were challenging, but we found Chestnut-capped Brush-Finch, good looks at a Violet-crowned Woodnymph, Plain Xenops, and several Spotted Woodcreepers.

It was now around 9:30, and Kevin wanted to get us down to the Canopy Adventure area to see about the Ground-Cuckoo, so we started back to the van. But before we got there, we saw a beautiful Blue-chested Hummingbird, and then got good looks at two Lineated Woodpeckers.

Once we got down to Canopy Adventure, we walked down the road toward the Lodge for maybe 200 yards, and then started to scan an area across the creek that had heavy foliage. Frankly, I was skeptical that we would be able to see anything; it really seemed like a needle in a haystack. But with the persistence that was becoming so valuable on this trip, we started to see some activity. And with the scope, we clearly saw army ant activity, which was a very good sign. One of the other birds that we eventually saw, fleetingly, was the Black-chested Jay, which I had been hoping to see. Then things started to get serious. Quick glimpses of a Rufous-vented Ground-Cuckoo were had by some of us, and gradually, we got better and better looks. What a magnificent bird, larger than a Roadrunner, which it has a family resemblance to.

It was perhaps a fitting conclusion to this great trip. We took one more shot at Tody Motmot, but while we clearly heard it, it remained hidden. So we returned to the Lodge, and did some final feeder-watching, soaking in the "usual" birds that we will not likely see any time soon - Blue-Gray, Flame-rumped, and Scarlet-backed Tanagers, Rufous Motmot, Chachalaca, Rufous-tailed Hummingbird, multiple Euphonias, and the "trash" bird, Clay-colored Thrush. What a place! What a trip!

February 5 - La Mesa, Panama

231. Spotted Antbird
232. Plain Xenops
233. Song Wren
234. Chestnut-capped Brush-Finch

Feb. 5 - Canopy Adventure, El Valle de Anton, Panama

235. Rufous-vented Ground Cuckoo :eek!:
236. Sepia-capped Flycatcher
237. Black-chested Jay

Back in South Dakota, where the winter is really nasty this year. Over the weekend, I had a number of new birds. First I found a good-sized group of Bohemian Waxwings not far from the Outdoor Campus. On Canyon Lake, there was both Snow Goose and Cackling Goose. Lewis's Woodpecker is a regular resident on Nameless Cave Rd, and then out toward the airport, I had my first Sharp-tailed Grouse of the year.

Feb. 9 - Rapid City, SD

238. Bohemian Waxwing
239. Snow Goose
240. Cackling Goose
241. American Widgeon
242. Lewis's Woodpecker

Feb. 10 - Rapid City, SD

243. Sharp-tailed Grouse

Went out and around this weekend. Things are cold and quiet, for the most part.

Feb. 15 - Lawrence County

244. Black-billed Magpie

Feb. 16 - Rapid City

245. Cedar Waxwing

Now late February into March, things are still very quiet.

Feb. 22 - Rapid City

246. Wilson's Snipe
247. Pine Siskin

March 9 - Custer State Park, SD

248. Northern Shrike
249. Mountain Bluebird

I finally got a chance to go out to the Pierre area, which at this time of the year, is usually good for some birds that we don't get here in the western part of South Dakota. A nice day, nothing too special, but it was good to finally see some Gulls, and pick up a few birds I had not yet seen.

March 15 - Lyman County, SD

250. Red-winged Blackbird

March 15 - Jones County, SD

251. Western Meadowlark

March 15 - Stanley County, SD

252. Northern Pintail
253. Lesser Scaup

March 15 - Hughes County, SD

254. Wood Duck
255. Cooper's Hawk
256. Ring-billed Gull
257. California Gull
258. Herring Gull
259. Red-bellied Woodpecker
260. Brown Creeper
261. Hooded Merganser
262. Ring-necked Pheasant
263. Northern Shoveler

I finally made the trip to the Platte River in Nebraska for the Sandhill Migration. Gave me a chance to use our new Mazda CX-5 for the first extended trip. It was about a 5 and a half hour drive to North Platte, where we met up with the other trip participants at a bridge over the Platte River, near sunset. Sandhills by the thousands were visible, flying overhead, but it wasn't until after I left that they came down to roost.

The next morning we came back to the same location, and there were several thousand birds in sight in the river. As it got lighter, they took to the air, and headed for the nearby fields where they would feed for the day. We spent the day going to several locations, finally east of Kearny, to the Rowe Audubon Sanctuary, where there were some nice exhibits, and blinds built for viewing.

Sunday morning was still, but very cold, and we went out on another bridge on the Platte, where a premature flash from a photographer launched a myriad of Sandhills, even before it got fully light. But the sky was beautiful, and the sight of literally a hundred thousand Sandhills was awesome. By mid-morning, I had begun the long trip back to Rapid City. Definitely a trip that birders should do at least once.

March 21 - Platte River Valley, NE

264. Sandhill Crane

March 22 - Platte River Valley, NE

265. Killdeer
266. Canvasback
267. Green-winged Teal
268. White-crowned Sparrow
269. Common Grackle
270. Northern Cardinal
271. Double-crested Cormorant

Yesterday morning, I headed out before dawn for a morning at Sandy Hook Recreational Area, a favorite birding spot, about 35-45 minutes away on the Jersey Shore. It had been rainy the evening before, but as the day dawned, it looked like it might be improving.

I decided to get right out by the tip of the Hook, further than I'd been before. But first I climbed the little tower, and walked over to the North Pond, where I got very close to a pair of Mute Swans. A pair of little Eastern Phoebes were flitting around the bushes, and there were Robins everywhere. As I made my way out toward the beach, I decided to follow along a barrier that had been put up to prevent people from interfering with nesting birds. There was another pond on which a good number of Geese and Ducks were swimming, including a pair of American Black Ducks.

Once I got to the beach, I started to follow the shoreline, and there were a good number of Gulls around, Herring, Greater Black-backed, and Ring-billed, and there were small groups of Sanderlings around. Then I got a really good look at a Piping Plover, and a fair number of American Oystercatcher, with the unmistakably large orange bill. Out on the Ocean, there were good numbers of Northern Gannets. While I didn't see any of the plunge-diving that you often see, the majestic flying of the Gannets was unmistakable.

It was very nice to see some passerines as I made my way back to the car later. Probably 6-8 Ospreys were soaring overhead, and I had a nice look at a group of Sparrows, mostly White-throated, but with a couple of Chippers, and a single Savannah. And a handful of Yellow-rumped Warblers came in for brief appearances. Turkey and Black Vultures both made an appearance. It was really a nice morning, I had 40 or so species, and it was just a really pleasant morning. Just before leaving the park, I made a brief stop in an area that had a lot of Brandt, as well as Bufflehead, and a couple of Greater Scaup.

April 5 - Sandy Hook, NJ

272. Brant
273. Mute Swan
274. American Black Duck
275. Greater Scaup
276. Black Scoter
277. Long-tailed Duck
278. Northern Gannet
279. American Oystercatcher
280. Piping Plover
281. Sanderling
282. Great Black-backed Gull
283. Mourning Dove
284. Eastern Phoebe
285. Tree Swallow
286. Northern Mockingbird
287. Yellow-rumped Warbler
288. Chipping Sparrow
289. Savannah Sparrow
290. Song Sparrow
291. White-throated Sparrow

A sure sign of Spring - my first Lincoln's Sparrow of the year.

April 9 - Rapid City, SD

292. Lincoln's Sparrow

Drove out to Sevey's Lake - one of my favorite places, except that last year it was so dry, that there was no water, and no birds. So it was good to see a few this morning.

April 12 - Meade County, SD

293. Yellow-headed Blackbird
294. Vesper Sparrow

Users who are viewing this thread

Back