• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Info on Atlas 6.5X32 Strike Eagle? (1 Viewer)

I actually HAVE that binocular! :t:

I bought it, the Eagle Optics Kingbird 6.5X32, and the Eagle Optics Denali 8X42. This is for a birthday present for a 10-11 yo. She wears glasses so I wanted to compare the three to find the one best suited and I'll probably send the other two back.

Strike Eagle vs. Kingbird- The two 6.5X both have huge FOV. But with my eyeglasses on, I am unable to utilize the entire FOV of the Atlas Strike Eagle so the listed eye relief is incorrect, at least with eyeglasses use. Still plenty of FOV but can't see it all. IMO a little more care was taken in the manufacturing process of the Kingbird....it seems to be a little more polished instrument. The ONLY item that keeps the Kingbird from being a slam dunk is the focus adjustment....it's a little stiff, especially clockwise which move the eyepieces toward you. As mentioned, the chassis are completely dissimilar. The Kingbird has a nice light, slim feel to it and weighs in at 14.5 ounces. The Atlas is much chunkier and the scale shows it....a full 10.5 ounces heavier!

Optically...neither binocular was purchased for it's optic prowess. Casually comparing the two....of course there isn't any difference that I can see. But I will say that for more binoculars...the image is AMAZINGLY good for around $100.00!

So more than likely the Eagle Optics Kingbird will get the nod....UNLESS...

The Eagle Opics Denali 8X42 is an even more amazing binocular for $130! $130!! It's a really nice binocular! I may go this route... It's a little heavier than the Kingbird....but the Denali really comes across as a $200 binocular.

Last edited:
Bob, I looked into this, but didn't bite.

Compare:
Levenhuk Sherman PLUS 6.5x32 ($95 retail) eyepieces are 4 elements in 3 groups, 24.3 ounces
Levenhuk Sherman Pro 6.5x32 ($135 retail) eyepieces are 5 elements in 3 groups, 25.6 ounces

Otherwise similar specs. The Sherman Pro received a good review at Allbinos. But other reviews of the Pro (on this site, I think) were somewhat negative.

The Eagle Optics Strike Eagle appears to be the Sherman Plus, going by the weight and body case; it probably has inferior eyepieces compared to the Sherman Pro. So you're paying too much at Eagle.

Hello Canuck Bob. I actually wrote a review for the Atlas a few years ago for the EO website, but apparently they did not migrate it over when they revamped their website. It's actually a very nice Porro for the money. Nice snappy sweetspot, wide angle, soft edges. It's not 10*, more like somewhere between 9* and 9.5*. There's a noticeable amount of play in the focuser, but otherwise it's pretty solid. Overall, it basically parallels the performance of the Nikon Action Extreme 7x35. Best I can tell, it comes from Kunming United Optics's BW13 product line... http://www.united-optics.com/Produc...tdoor_Binoculars/BW13_Series/BW13_Series.html .

I had a bad experience with the Levenhuk Sherman Pro 6.5x32. I wasn't familiar with the company so I decided to order it through Opticsplanet, which offers easy returns. I placed the order with Opticsplanet, and the bins were drop-shipped to me directly from Levenhuk in Florida. The first pair I received had a shattered prism . I was a bit confused because there was no damage to the box or packaging. But Opticsplanet has easy returns so I sent it back to Opticsplanet and requested a replacement. New unit drop-shipped from Levenhuk in Florida. This unit was also damaged. The eyepiece optics on one side were loose and rattling. It's the sort of thing I probably could have repaired myself, but the nitrogen purge was obviously already compromised, so why bother? I ended up sending this one back to Opticsplanet too, but this time for a refund rather than a replacement. Kudo's to Opticsplanet for their patience. But I have concerns about Levenhuk's commitment to quality control. From what I could tell though from the units I sampled, the Sherman Pro is capable of very decent performance. It's not necessarily sharper or wider than the Atlas, but the colors were truer and the focuser did not have any play. It's just that you could end up with a damaged unit.

Last edited:
Visited the Levenhuk site. The Canadian prompt reveals higher pricing for the Pro. EO sent an email and I am abandoning this direction.

The only purchase that makes sense is a 6.5X32 Vortex Raptor purchased from EO Canada with a in country retail shop, Canadian warranty administration and warranty shop. It is hard to get the 6X30 Yosemite here. Canadian administered warranty for the long haul just makes sense.

Thank you all for the education.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back