• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Snakes of Croatia (1 Viewer)

Croatia must be great for snake afficianados! I've only been there once but have never anywhere else in the world seen so many snakes on the roads, dead and alive.

Thanks.
Where were you in Croatia, if you don't mind me asking?
Dubrovnik, but we drove around a little. This was in the days of the former Yogoslavia. Of course, thinking about it, two of the areas we visited, Mostar and Kotor, aren't even in Croatia. I'd imagine the snake population is similar though?

Nice site.

Nice species list too. I particurlay like your worm snake.

As there seem to be a lot of snakes about in Croatia, does this make them any better understood by the general public do you think?

Dubrovnik, but we drove around a little. This was in the days of the former Yogoslavia. Of course, thinking about it, two of the areas we visited, Mostar and Kotor, aren't even in Croatia. I'd imagine the snake population is similar though?
More or less, yeah. But in Bosnia & Herzegovina there is no one doing herp research, so I don't know for sure.
In Monte Negro the situation is better (there ARE people doing herp related research).

I particurlay like your worm snake
The Worm Snake probably isn't even present in Croatia. The one that was "found on Dugi Otok" is currently somewhere in Austria, in a jar of formalin. It was found (I can't remember how long ago) and when it was being transported to Austria (in the formalin jar), they suspect that the labels got confused...

As there seem to be a lot of snakes about in Croatia, does this make them any better understood by the general public do you think?
No way. When the general public is concerned, all snakes here can be summarized into 2: the Adder and the Nose-horned Viper. And they get killed. Why only a couple of days ago a lady tried to convince me that an Aesculapian Snake skin shed was actually from an Adder (and there are no Adders at that location)... Also, the general public thinks that the only good snake is a dead one. Luckily, there are exceptions, but too few of them.

No way. When the general public is concerned, all snakes here can be summarized into 2: the Adder and the Nose-horned Viper.

And you say that they know nothing about snakes!!! At least they realize that there are 2 types , here we only have the viper:-C
:-O

No way. When the general public is concerned, all snakes here can be summarized into 2: the Adder and the Nose-horned Viper. And they get killed. Why only a couple of days ago a lady tried to convince me that an Aesculapian Snake skin shed was actually from an Adder (and there are no Adders at that location)... Also, the general public thinks that the only good snake is a dead one. Luckily, there are exceptions, but too few of them.

A shame but not so surprising I suppose. It's amazing how deep our collective fear of snakes goes. Especially when you consider how little contact some people who have these fears have actually had with snakes.

I wonder if there is any truth in the idea of an instinctive, collective fear from ancient times or if it's just a case of prejudice being passed from generation to generation.

I wonder if there is any truth in the idea of an instinctive, collective fear from ancient times or if it's just a case of prejudice being passed from generation to generation.
In the past there may have been some instinctive fear, but ever since we "learned to use our heads" it has become a prejudice passed from generation to generation. Probably even before that it was also a prejudice. A group of cavemen go hunting. They find a snake (a venomous one). One of 'em picks it up, it bits him. They run away. Some time later the caveman dies form the venom. They start to fear them.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back