• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

video editing program wanted but....... (1 Viewer)

Bill2468

Recently purchased a canon zr85 digital video camera. Now I am looking :eek!: for a simple to use editing program. I a limited in my search because I have a Pentium 3 @450 mhz. 160 memory and about 1.75 gig of space on hard drive. Any recomendation???

BiLL :stuck:

Sorry, Bill,

The Avid prog. won't do for you, either!

With your amount of disk space, you'd be limited to just a few minutes of video to edit with any program.

Andy.

Last edited:
Thanks Andrew and Darrell

Andrew Rowlands said:
Sorry, Bill,

The Avid prog. won't do for you, either!

With your amount of disk space, you'd be limited to just a few minutes of video to edit with any program.

Andy.
Thank you for your feed-back :clap: on my problem.
I work at a hospital and during my lunch break I often visit the people in medical media (not birders but a good bunch none the less). They agree as does my brother in the fact that my Dell p.c. is a bit over the hill. Low on hard drive space old/slow kind of memory, slow cpu etc. They say trying to perk up my p.c. is like treating a fatal shot gun wound with a band aid and a small bottle of iodine. I was recomended to pick up a new inexpensive machine complete with windows xp, a biger hard drive and a cd burner and use it for photographic applications and keep my old machine for internet tinkering.

BiLL
:cool:
:h?:

When you look for a newer PC look for plently of hard drive space. For DV video from a camcorder you will need 15Gig per hour of video!

I would highly recommend Pinnacle studio 9 for editing software.
It's very simple to use, has a great interface and lets you burn DVD's, VCD's and SVCD's as well as AVI's and Realmedia.

Bill,

You'll need a Firewire interface, too. Pyro BasicDV comes in at less than $60, is compatible with almost all Pro editing software and comes with it's own basic DV editing software.

Andy.

Andrew Rowlands said:
Bill,

You'll need a Firewire interface, too. Pyro BasicDV comes in at less than $60, is compatible with almost all Pro editing software and comes with it's own basic DV editing software.

Andy.
Was wondering what a USK Valley was. Punched into search engine and a web site with some great photos came up (some a bit soft). Nice area, a perfect place to run a birding work shop

BiLL

lee_adc said:
When you look for a newer PC look for plently of hard drive space. For DV video from a camcorder you will need 15Gig per hour of video!

I would highly recommend Pinnacle studio 9 for editing software.
It's very simple to use, has a great interface and lets you burn DVD's, VCD's and SVCD's as well as AVI's and Realmedia.
Hello Lee!
When you say 15 Gig per hour of video that would make a dvd burner needed rather than a cd burner or load it down to a vhs tape?
I have a Dazzle 4100 and the cd Movie Star 4.2.2 which I updated via down load. Until I get around to buying a new p.c this may have to do. Once tried it with my vhc-c but I as unable to use it properly. Do you or anyone reading this posting know how much space a edited film consumes ( I understand that Dazzle uses some compression on down load/final production.

BiLL
:eek!: :bounce: :eek!:

Time For A Vulcan Mind Probe !!!

Bill2468 said:
Hello Lee!
When you say 15 Gig per hour of video that would make a dvd burner needed rather than a cd burner or load it down to a vhs tape?
I have a Dazzle 4100 and the cd Movie Star 4.2.2 which I updated via down load. Until I get around to buying a new p.c this may have to do. Once tried it with my vhc-c but I as unable to use it properly. Do you or anyone reading this posting know how much space a edited film consumes ( I understand that Dazzle uses some compression on down load/final production.

BiLL
:eek!: :bounce: :eek!:
THANKS FOR ALL THIS INTERESTING FEEDBACK. :clap:
I think trying to upgrade my Dell is a waste of time. A new p.c. for photography sounds interesting. If I were to go with a APPLE E-machine (under US$ 1000.00) that has a cd & dvd burner would these disks work on none apple machines, I am sure they will work on my dvd player hooked up to my television.
If I sell my camera equipment I will be able to buy a new p.c. but I will no longer have any use for it!
This hobby is like winning a set of snow tires and then having to buy a car to use them!

BiLL :eek!: ;) :bounce:

Sorry for not replying sooner...pressures of the weekend.

Raw DV video straight from a camcorder is 15 gig per hour...when you download it from the video it creates a file of what ever size.

When you come to edit the video pinnacle studio (and probably over software) creates a small file (under 1 or 2 MB) that contains the info on the video project. Once the video has been edited you go onto the burning/rendering stage.

If you burn straight to CD or DVD the software renders the source video (but does not alter it!) and burns the files (VCD/SVCD or DVD) on to the media.

If you create mpegs, windows media files etc then these are stored on the hard drive. The size of these varies depending on quality and length.

What I tend to do is download one hour of video, edit it, burn SVCD's or mpegs and then delete the raw DV video and all over files.

Pinnacle Studio has an option to delete all extra files associated with a project.

Hope some of this ramble helps...

Bird editing on a Mac

Hi Bill- If your main goal is an easy-to-use video editor, get a new Mac which comes with "iMovie" installed (free). I encountered iMovie as a novice 3 years ago and started editing immediately. I now use Final Cut Express, also an Apple product.

On the PC side, I'm not qualified to recommend anything but if video editing is in your future, you've GOT to get a faster machine and tons more hard drive space.

Video editing is so much FUN (for some of us, anyhow)! Good luck in your pursuits.

Mac Faxer
www.barnowls.com

Bill

I edit dv on a P3 500mhz machine, it works fine. But I do have a much bigger hard disk of 200 GB.

Firewire is an absolute must, USB even USB 2.0 will drop frames.

I don't know what others have found on here but I would seriously caution against Pinnacle Studio 9.0 as it is very buggy and can cause serious system issues both with Win 98 and XP. I have had much better success with and can highly recommend Ulead Videostudio 8.0, have a look at Pinnacles support forums and you will see some of the coments about that software.

Ian

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back