• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Few Monochromes (1 Viewer)

Telephoto view, John - Eynhallow lies about a mile away.

Unbelievable. This sounds as uncomfortable as the detailed insect drawings I used to do with one eye constantly glued to the dissecting microscope. Am I understanding this correctly?

Regardless of method it's a very striking work. I'd just never have guessed its origins.

Unbelievable. This sounds as uncomfortable as the detailed insect drawings I used to do with one eye constantly glued to the dissecting microscope. Am I understanding this correctly?

Regardless of method it's a very striking work. I'd just never have guessed its origins.
Nothing quite so protracted, Ken - just a series of terrible shots through a rain-spattered window of the bird hide; then a liberal amount of 'artistic licence'. Here's one of the better ones:

Attachments

• DSCN6404.JPG
    DSCN6404.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 51
Even with a blurry photo, those cliffs shout out to be drawn or painted. Great to have that type of scenery around in addition to all the bird life. I'm envious of your hide!

. . . ploughing a similar furrow; two fulmar round the point at North Haven, Fair Isle. Charcoal on lining paper, 34"x22".
. . . and a re-posting of the Eynehallow painting from a couple of posts ago - this time undressed from its celophane wrapping.

Attachments

• fairisle fulmars.JPG
    fairisle fulmars.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCN6591 - Copy.JPG
    DSCN6591 - Copy.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Great work on these. Charcoal is such an appropriate medium for rocks, especially when wielded with your skill!

A peregrine about to wreak havoc among a kittiwake colony.
"Here Comes Trouble; Peregrine at Marwick, West Mainland Orkney" charcoal painting, 34"x22"

Attachments

• Here Comes Trouble - Copy.JPG
    Here Comes Trouble - Copy.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 49
Wow! What a great perspective - tells the story immediately. Interesting that my very first reaction on seeing the image was to flash back to my first solo flight when I was getting my pilot's license. Anyone who's ever flown will understand that's a pretty significant response...!

Wow! What a great perspective - tells the story immediately. Interesting that my very first reaction on seeing the image was to flash back to my first solo flight when I was getting my pilot's license. Anyone who's ever flown will understand that's a pretty significant response...!

love moment of discovery as you pick bird up over the brighter white water

if J's first solo flight involved swerving Peregrine style towards a cliff face I'm not surprised it made such an impression..

:-O Ed.

Actually I went into a stoop at 200 mph and pulled out a hundred feet from the ground, grabbing a pigeon out the window as I leveled out. My flight instructor was impressed as he watched through binoculars...;).

This is just great, don't know what else to say, as capture and art. You feel the tension, excitement, as well as and the depth and ease there. Really great piece.
David

The birds are wonderful as always, of course. Beyond that, I'm impressed with how you've captured the roiling sea, with the swells, foam lines and the sense of constant motion.

. . . cheers guys.
A slight change in focus now - red-throated diver portrait.
charcoal, 22"x17"

Attachments

• a divergrey small.JPG
    a divergrey small.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 71
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back