• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax SP DCF 10x50 vs Nikon SE 10x42 (1 Viewer)

trealawboy

I'm looking for some comparative thoughts about these two binoculars specifically.

Their intended use is for low-light situations, typically at dusk, observing owls, nightjars, woodcooks etc. I also intend to use them occasionally mounted on a tripod for star-gazing.

They will not be my primary birding binocular, as I prefer 8x32. As a result, I'm not willing to pay the higher prices for the excellent Swarovski SLC 10x50 or similar.

Both models, have a similar price and produce very good, sharp and bright views. I've looked through the Nikon, but not the Pentax. No local stores stock them, so I'm seeking some comments on their suitability for their intended use.

I'm aware of the narrow field of view on the Pentax and the lack of waterproofness on the Nikon.

Last edited:
Actually the top of the line Pentax DCF ED has the same price as the Nikon SE. The Pentax DCF SP is about $250.00 less in US funds. If you have experience with the Nikon 10 x 42 SE then you know how spectacular it's view is, especially edge to edge. It's not likely that either Pentax, both with a 261' FOV, will be as sharp edge to edge as the Nikon with it's 315' FOV. The Pentax's should be marginally brighter, but that is debatable as I find my 10 x 42 SE remarkably good in twilight conditions.
Cordially,
Bob

Trealaw Boy,

Both of these binoculars are high quality instruments. Without to have compared them I can give two absolute sure comments:

1: The Pentax 10x50 DCF SP is better for low light situations

2: The Nikon 10x42 SE is sharper (on-axis)

Regards, Patric

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back