• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Laser pointer for rainforest birding (1 Viewer)

jurek

Hello,

I am looking for laser pointer for birding in rainforest.

Who has one which performs well or can tell what to avoid? Is any ordinary laser pointer, like ones used for presentations, OK? Where you buy one?

cheers

PS. You don't light the pointer at the bird but near it, I know that.

I use an "AstroPen" from M&T optics which I picked up in Taiwan. Not cheap, but very powerful. It is a green light laser for the reasons rockfowl mentioned.

I would recommend Green over Red as they are more powerful and more readily seen by the human eye particularly in the dappled light of rainforests. I've used one fairly regularly on tour to point out tricky stuff. Obviously, don't point it anywhere near the birds face ;)

And... don't point them anywhere near humans either. In my part of the world, at star parties, these are considered in very poor taste. They are potentially dangerous, people get sloppy and accidents happen.

Unfortunately, your link now leads to a delisted product, rockfowl.

I've been mulling over the laser pointers at Laserglow ( http://www.laserglow.com/index.php?portable ) and Wicked Lasers ( http://www.wickedlasers.com/lasers/CORE-67-0.html ), but cannot get beyond waffling. And now I need to read through Hanno's recommended site ( http://www.telescopes.com.tw/06M&T/20-laser-home_eng.htm ) as well!

From what I have read so far, $10 ones are not good enough for jungle work.

Anybody know about power requirements (5mW / 10 mW)?

From what I have read so far, $10 ones are not good enough for jungle work.

Anybody know about power requirements (5mW / 10 mW)?

I finally got 5mW. It was helpful in the dark underground, but more would be better.

Important is some kind of 'lock' which prevents switching on when accidentally pressed. My model lacks it (you can disable it only by unscrewing) and I twice accidentally emptied the batteries when carrying it in the field.

Also, models which can be easily carried on the strap around the neck are better. With bins, ipod and guidebook you easily run out of hands.

Do note that US Customs disallows the non eye safe laser pointers. That limits them to under 5mw, I believe.
That said, they are a wonderful tool for directing fellow birders to spot birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back