• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Insect repellents? (1 Viewer)

When we lived in Canada, we used repellants containing DEET (normally 10-25%), but I don't know if that's actually legal to sell in Europe, it's pretty nasty to tell the truth. So we wouldn't use it now with a toddler in the house in any case.

Now my wife make a mix of peanut oil, lemon grass oil and rubbing alcohol: 100ml = 2ml peanut oil, 5ml lemon grass oil, 93ml rubbing alcohol. You shouldn't rub it in your eyes, but other than that it's pretty harmless. We haven't had much use for the stuff so far (there's way fewer biting insects in the UK compared to western Canada!). But it seems to be pretty effective.

Thomas

http://www.lessmosquito.com/

A complete system and not cheap if you follow all the instructions but I started to prepare for a trip by using body scrub and then body / hair wash for a few days, I went out on a walk without thinking about insects when well all returned I was the only one totally free of bites, usually I'm the first to get bitten and react quite dramatically! I hadn't even thought to use the spray.

Talked to the owner of the company at the BirdFair, seems a very straightforward and enthusiastic chap!

I hate the side effects of DEET and found that Avon skin so soft had to re-applied every 20 mins or so - really impractical.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back