• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2017 (11 Viewers)

Maybe we also have to agree that observation must be made, for example, in a 25m x 25m (27,34yd x 27,34yd) area. Or what about Jos? |;|

Since you ask, I'd like about 800 m x 500 m +/- :-O

But actually, no big issue to me, my main observation area, where my feeders are and I do most of my observations from, is pretty much the size of a standard garden. And since garden birders count stuff from their gardens too, be it some raptor over a neighbouring mountain or waterbird down the valley, I am not sure if my area is really any bigger in terms of recording area than anyone else's. Just I can manage that area for the betterment of wildlife more effectively perhaps.

Last edited:
I got an idea for small "competition". Next weekend is Eurobirdwatch (ofcourse you can participate for anywhere on this globe, not just Europe) and I thought that every one of us could watch birds on their garden for one hour (or 2 or 3 if it sounds better). It does not matter what time of day. Watching can be done on a Saturday or Sunday at the time you want and suite you the best. Maybe we also have to agree that observation must be made, for example, in a 25m x 25m (27,34yd x 27,34yd) area. Or what about Jos? |;|

What you think about? Do you have a time and interest for this?

I'm up for it and promise not to look at the mountains for once!
Magpie and Wren have both reappeared in recent days so I predict at least 10 species here:t:

I'm up for it and promise not to look at the mountains for once!
Magpie and Wren have both reappeared in recent days so I predict at least 10 species here:t:

You can look so far as you can see (from observation patch). I'm gonna look at all the way to neightbours roofs... 3:)

I have to admit I try this at last Sunday 8AM to 9AM, and I got little bit over ten species. |:$|

What about the time? Is 1 hour good or would it be better for little more time?

I have to admit I try this at last Sunday 8AM to 9AM, and I got little bit over ten species. |:$|

Hmm....well I am away from home this weekend, so won't participate at teh fixed time. I snuck in an hour this morning though, and came in a little under ten species!
Throwing down the pitiful gauntlet of 9 species. I'm sure you can all trounce that with very little effort! Didn't help that it was 10:30-11:30 (didn't check the forum til the morning birds had already settled!), and we are in the midst of a mini heatwave - with our warmest temperatures this year (I think it hit 39C/102F yesterday).

Ho hum. May give it another go when I get back on Tuesday.
Good luck everyone else for the weekend!

Most likely spruces (Picea; kuusi) but possibly pines (Pinus; mänty); unlikely to be firs (Abies; pihta).

No pines or spruces. I know what they look like (they are the commonest trees in Fin - + birch also). These trees are some exotic coniferous. Here one more photo.

Attachments

• IMG_5320b.jpg
    IMG_5320b.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 34
Hmm....well I am away from home this weekend, so won't participate at teh fixed time. I snuck in an hour this morning though, and came in a little under ten species!
Throwing down the pitiful gauntlet of 9 species. I'm sure you can all trounce that with very little effort! Didn't help that it was 10:30-11:30 (didn't check the forum til the morning birds had already settled!), and we are in the midst of a mini heatwave - with our warmest temperatures this year (I think it hit 39C/102F yesterday).

Ho hum. May give it another go when I get back on Tuesday.
Good luck everyone else for the weekend!

I don't have anything against that you participate at Tuesday. The more the better. :t:

Attachments

• water pond for birds.jpg
    water pond for birds.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC02236.jpg
    DSC02236.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 34
No pines or spruces. I know what they look like (they are the commonest trees in Fin - + birch also). These trees are some exotic coniferous. Here one more photo.

Thanks! Abies concolor (White Fir / Harmaapihta); introduced from the Rocky Mts., USA. Also a larch / lehtikuusi behind to the left :t:

MERLIN !!

one just streaked past the house at about 100mph! Low down and looking fabulous!

A nice replacement for the departed Hobbies.

Thanks! Abies concolor (White Fir / Harmaapihta); introduced from the Rocky Mts., USA. Also a larch / lehtikuusi behind to the left :t:

Thank you for Abies-info. Larch is familiar to me. I have waited that White-winged C appeared to it. :king: White Firs cones seeds look like a tasty for Common Crossbills.

Last edited:
White Firs cones seeds look like a tasty for Common Crossbills.
Yeah, not sure they do, though - I've never seen crossbills using Abies cones, nor heard of it as anything other than a very rare crossbill food. Squirrels tend not to go for them much either. If you try crushing a fir seed, I think you'll find out why: the seeds have blisters of very bitter resin on them, which pine and spruce seeds don't have. No proof, but I strongly suspect that's an effective anti-predation trait.

One hour Garden challenge

A beautiful morning here in the Alps, good conditions for looking and listening at what's about:Total (during an hour and a half) of 26 species:
Robin
Blackbird
Great Tit
Coal Tit
Blue Tit
Marsh Tit
Raven
Carrion Crow
Chaffinch
Goldfinch
Greenfinch
Common Buzzard
Wren (heard only)
Nuthatch (heard only)
Jay
Fieldfare
Black Woodpecker (heard only)
Great spotted Woodpecker (heard only)
Green Woodpecker (heard only)
Common Treecreeper
Bullfinch
Song Thrush
Chiffchaff
Blackcap
Black Redstart
Nutcracker (heard only)

A beautiful morning here in the Alps, good conditions for looking and listening at what's about:Total (during an hour and a half) of 26 species:
Robin
Blackbird
Great Tit
Coal Tit
Blue Tit
Marsh Tit
Raven
Carrion Crow
Chaffinch
Goldfinch
Greenfinch
Common Buzzard
Wren (heard only)
Nuthatch (heard only)
Jay
Fieldfare
Black Woodpecker (heard only)
Great spotted Woodpecker (heard only)
Green Woodpecker (heard only)
Common Treecreeper
Bullfinch
Song Thrush
Chiffchaff
Blackcap
Black Redstart
Nutcracker (heard only)

That is rather similar to a list I could see in an hour or so, albeit perhaps a month or so ago (three or four of those already migrated).

One hour Garden challenge

I do this at Sunday morning 7.30 - 8.30 and the weather was miserable. Drizzle began at 7.50 ->

1. Fieldfare
2. Chiffchaff
3. Magpie
4. Hooded Crow
5. Blue Tit
6. Chaffinch
7. Jackdaw
8. Great Tit
9. Tree Sparrow
10. Common Crossbill (heard only)
11. Jay (h.o.)
12. Blackbird
13. Barnacle Goose
14. Siskin
15. Starling

Also I saw 2 more skein of geese but they were too far away to be able to identify them with certainty. Normally I can hear Robins at the morning but for some reason they were quiet yesterday.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back