• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Arrow Valley Park, Redditch (1 Viewer)

StarainBoy

Two common terns continue here, down from the seven recorded last month. There's no evidence of breeding although the birds seemed to be feeding each other. Is this tern courtship?

A couple of sedge warblers were still singing around the reeds and the Canada geese are getting out of control. Whose bright idea was it to invite them over?

Apart from that, all was quiet.

Does anyone (who reads this ???) watch the park anymore?

I did it very regular from 1985 to 1988 when I moved house from Winyates West back to Droitwich. Some days I would make 2 or 3 visits - all logged!

I had a walk round last summer July 2010 and saw how much it has changed since we moved away.

I have notebooks full of my visits, the best birds I recorded from memory were Red-necked Grebe, Bewicks Swan (x 4, 2 ads 2 juvs), Kittiwake, and Short-eared Owl. In those days I could here the Grasshopper Warblers from my back garden and there was always a very large flock (100+) of wintering Tree Sparrow.

Is anyone still watching it regularly? I would be very interested to know what has been recorded here in the long period of years since I moved away.

Not sure if anyone watches regularly these days. I used to go a few times a year when I lived in Church Hill, but there was never much around to get too excited about, so when I moved I stopped going.

My best sighting there was an Eider in 2001, but I had to twitch that from Upton!! Other than that the best for me have been Goosander and Wigeon, although I think there have been recent sightings of Med Gull. I don't think Groppers have been seen there for some time - more frequent down the road at Ipsley Alders, although not annual there.

To be honest there are better places in the Redditch area that don't have hundreds of dog-walkers and cyclists, so have a better chance of good birds.

Cheers
Mike

Arrow Valley Park

Thanks for the info Mike, have to say I'm well impressed with an Eider, I've never been a big county lister wherever I have lived however I guess that was a significant county twitch. I dont remember too much about the Rn Grebe, as it was Merseyside Derby day and I had to get back to the tele, but I'm quite sure it was well watched. I do remember seeing 'a few' Wigeon once on the main lake during a big freeze and a redhead Goosander on the smaller pool down towards Washford that stuck for some time.
Cheers
Dave.

Last edited:
I lived in winyates in the 80s and 90s and can recall the grasshopper warblers in the scrub adjacent to the Warwick Highway.....Cuckoos were also regular. highlights for me were Red Necked Grebe, Green Sandpiper, Hobby, osprey, black Tern, wryneck,lesser spotted woodpecker, spotted flycatcher and little ringed plover, early mornings were best. Heard rumours of s e owls being regular at one time. Also Ipsley Alders Marsh had Woodcock, Water Rail, Aredstarton passage , snipe and a Barn Owl one winter flushable from the tree in middle of marsh....there were a few others who worked these locations. Good days working the patch.... Heard rumour of golden oriole in oakenshaw woods in seventies...

Hi Brian,

Mediterranean gulls adults in winter plumage, come to rest a few times, found with a lot of black-headed gulls.

Graham

Two Little Egrets on the main island this morning. One was active on and off the site. Some very yound herons also on the same island. Must have seen over a dozen Great Crested Grebe and plenty of Goldfinch.

Last edited:
Two Little Egrets on the main island this morning. One was active on and off the site. Some very yound herons also on the same island. Must have seen over a dozen Great Crested Grebe and plenty of Goldfinch.

If you could turn one into a Cattle Egret you will be a very popular man!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back