• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grey Wagtails (1 Viewer)

Out tonight on the River Derwent on the Durham/Northumberland border to see the Grey Wagtails and Dippers. Lots of House Martins and Swifts overhead and a couple of wrens singing but I couldn't see them. On my lunchbreak at work watched a Yellowhammer and a group of Goldfinches chasing each other through - very high spirited in the sunshine. Also tonight we got our first Blue Tit on the garden feeders we have had out about three weeks now. Plenty of Jackdaws, Starlings and House Sparrows, and a couple of Greenfinches.

Hi Ian,

Nice little report, with some great birds.

Spent many a happy hour down in the lower Derwent, toward the Gibside and Rowlands Gill when I lived up there.

Pre birding days though, so I missed out on the best bits!

Hello Ian
Keep us up to date with your records from that beautiful area.
We were up there a few weeks back for the Red Kite, also had Barn Owl in that general area. ;)
Should get up there more often, its only 30 min drive for us......& once you're there its a whole different world.
Regards & Good Birding Stevie.

Hi treecreeper,

On behalf of all the Mods and Admin Staff, Welcome to BirdForum.

If you drop a line about yourself in "Say Hello" you're sure to get a few more replies.

:t:

I also visit the Lower Derwent area - a great place for birds. Visited the Far Pastures reserve yesterday where I had excellent views of a kingfisher, in fact all of the best views I've had of kingfishers have been in this area.

Anna

Welcome Ian, Treecreeper and Anna.

I've a confession to make here. I sneaked a Grey Wagtail on Sunday on a toilet stop in Blanchland! - if you know the area, there were half a dozen Grey Wags by the bridge as you leave the village (as I mentioned near the loos). It was only a run out, not even birding but the girlfriend said look at these yellow wagtails as i returned - they were of course grays.

Well done on the Kingfisher Anna, this will be the one at Far Pasture that is only there when I am not! - The Shibdon Pond one is equally elusive! - I know there are more than one of course, but it seems fate. Indeed my girlfriend saw one at Low Barns Reserve recently whilst looking for fish in the river (don't ask!) - needless to say I was a few yards further ahead pursuing a chiffchaff!

Keep the reports and venues coming please as lots of interest on here :clap:

Thanks for the welcomes and replies. I did catch a brief glimpse of a Kingfisher at Rowlands Gill a couple of weeks ago, just as it flew along the bankside, down below the viaduct - and a Great Spotted Woodpecker in the distance. I'm also looking forward to the Red Kites after seeing the report on local news.

Hi Quacker,
I have always found Far Pasture to be something of a ' bogey site ' as far as birding is concerned. It is supposed to be a really interesting site but I rarely see much when I'm there, although it is good for hirundines and warblers. You're not alone regarding the Kingfisher; I have only ever saw it about 5 times at Far Pasture and I've been birding for 5 years yet everybody else who has been there seems to see it judging by the sightings listed in the log book each day ! The same is true at Shibdon Pond; again I've only sighted Kingfisher about 5 times in as many years !

Do you still get Kingfisher on the river between Shotley Bridge and Allensford ?
Saw them there years ago but haven't walked along there since.

treecreeper said:
Hi Quacker,
I have always found Far Pasture to be something of a ' bogey site ' as far as birding is concerned. It is supposed to be a really interesting site but I rarely see much when I'm there, although it is good for hirundines and warblers. You're not alone regarding the Kingfisher; I have only ever saw it about 5 times at Far Pasture and I've been birding for 5 years yet everybody else who has been there seems to see it judging by the sightings listed in the log book each day ! The same is true at Shibdon Pond; again I've only sighted Kingfisher about 5 times in as many years !

Phew! thanks for that Treecreeper. I was thinking it was because my bins weren't the "right brand" ;) - i can now narrow it down to bad luck, bad eyesight or impatience. - The eyes (sic) have it!

John, my sister mentioned she'd seen a kingfisher last year at Allensford.

I suppose I've been lucky when it comes to kingfishers - as a newish birder it was a bird I'd always wanted to see and since I saw my first a couple of years ago I've had a number of good sightings since, including one right in front of the hide at Thornley Woods by the small pond. I never see anything particularly startling at Far Pastures but I enjoy my visits there.

I don't have luck when it comes to the green woodpecker however - a bird I've never seen despite trying!

Anna

Hi All
Kingfishers, Nows a good time to look out for them as there's this years youngsters on the wing.
There were 2 at Durham City during the week at Brasside Pond.
Low Barns at Witton-le-Wear is an excellent place for them, year-round...

Anna
The closest reliable location to you, for Green Woodpecker is Hawthorn Dene, try the meadow / railway/ Hive area. (Brasside & Low Barns have GreenWpkrs too!)

Stevie.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back