• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Insect repellents? (1 Viewer)

mdb2

Hi everybody, is it me! Is this year worse? am I just unfortunate? I am covered in bites this year! Can anybody give me advice on repellents and bite creams that they are happy to use. Kind regards. Mike

Smidge that midge. Hand on heart a revolutionary repellent. All day by the side of a midge infested loch, not a single bite, nor do they swarm around you. Despise the stuff is an understatement. Works on ticks as well just as effectively.

Clegg will come in to approach, get one sniff and appear to lose the ability to fly straight lol. Totally non-deet, safe for kids down to three years old and smells a fresh soap scent.

Hi Ratal, straight onto amazon ordered, will post back when tried. If it works in Scotland with your midges should have no problem down south. I currently have 15 very itchy bites just how they get to some parts of the body I cannot understand. Thanks. Mike

Smidge combines Saltidin and a waterproofing agent to give long-lasting, family-friendly skin protection against a range of biting insects, in both temperate and tropical areas. Saltidin is approved by the World Health Authority and will protect you from the depths of the Scottish Highlands across to your favourite overseas retreat.Suppliers to VisitScotland, the Scottish Youth Hostel Association, National Trust for Scotland and Forestry Commission Scotland.

A quote from Smidge website. Once I saw the Forestry lads up here using it, I snapped a try and have never looked back. It seriously is the absolute best I have ever tried. Cleggs drop, simply one sniff, to the floor. Its brill.

There's the legendary Avon Skin So Soft stuff. Supposed to be very good, even if it is not exactly branded as an insect repellent.

a search on the US amazon for smidge that midge did not come up with anything. Can we not get it in the US?

Search for " Picaridin " instead. The active ingredient in Smidge that Midge, Saltidin, is just a trade name for picaridin.

In the USA, Natrapel 8hr is a brand that works well.

Like all repellents, the higher the concentration of the active ingredient, the longer/better it works. I think the CDC in the USA recommends 20% Picaridin.

Last edited:
Try something natural...citrus juice such as lemon mixed with water...place onto your arms etc.... I hear that works, jim

It may be worth considering insect repellent clothing as an alternative.
The Ex Officio line here: http://www.exofficio.com/search/bugsaway worked well for me both in the US northeast and in the tropics. The socks keep the chiggers discouraged and the gear is washable without loosing its properties.
I've been down on repellent creams ever since the incident a few years back where a kid died because he had really soaked himself in deterrent.

I started using Ex Officio bugsaway clothing (shirts, pants, socks) this summer and found it to be very effective - never picked up one tick this whole season. I was out on group walks where my compatriots were picking off ticks left and right and they just left me alone. I also avoided poison ivy wearing long Ex Officio pants (which are very lightweight) vs the shorts I always used to wear. A few other U.S. manufacturers also have bugsaway clothing. I've also used permethrin clothing spray made by Sawyer - it seems to be effective, but needs to be reapplied after 2 or 3 washings - the bugsaway clothing theoretically lasts through 70 wash cycles. I don't believe Sawyer products are available in the UK, but there are comparable permethrin sprays from other manufacturers.

I'm don't mean to side track this thread but do you guys, on the other side of the pond, have any problems with the West Nile Disease?

I started using Ex Officio bugsaway clothing (shirts, pants, socks) this summer and found it to be very effective - never picked up one tick this whole season.
I don't believe Sawyer products are available in the UK, but there are comparable permethrin sprays from other manufacturers.
Permethrin is a bug killer rather than a repellent, so whilst it's good for crawlers like ticks, with a swarm of midges the death of the ones that target your clothes instead of your skin won't make a lot of difference.
In the UK the easiest source is the Lifesystems displays in Blacks etc. It's usually aimed at treating mozzy nets.

I've been happily using Repel 55 which is a deet based product. It feels a little greasy when first applied but once fully absorbed by the skin it's fine and provides great all day protection.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back