• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cataract in my right eye V's birdwatching optics! (1 Viewer)

I see from your link you were travelling with Stephen Daly, Kathy.

We may have just missed meeting.

I was with my wife on the track below the old windmills at El Cabrito near the Mirador de El Estrecho to the east of Tarifa on Sunday morning at about 10am when Stephen came by with his party and stopped for a brief chat. He said he'd just been in Doñana for three days and we had a brief discussion about the birds passing overhead and the dusty state of my hire car.

Were you in the vehicle at the time?

Good luck with your appointment.

Last edited:
I see from your link you were travelling with Stephen Daly, Kathy.

We may have just missed meeting.

I was with my wife on the track below the old windmills at El Cabrito near the Mirador de El Estrecho to the east of Tarifa on Sunday morning at about 10am when Stephen came by with his party and stopped for a brief chat. He said he'd just been in Doñana for three days and we had a brief discussion about the birds passing overhead and the dusty state of my hire car.

Were you in the vehicle at the time?

Good luck with your appointment.

Yes, I was in the vehicle along with Steve Daly, along with a party of 6 others (2 dropped out)
I watched each person Steve spoke to, on our travels, and I am sure we brushed shoulders as we did in the passing. What colour of car did you have? Was it silver grey?

Steve was a great leader, and he gave us the best views that he could of the birds in all of the areas

Sadly the last day we where embrolled in a 'major' bush fire, so our quest to see Firecrests went badly - never mind! There where 5 helicopers and an areoplane that was designed to suck up water and drop it onto the fire. It was quite bad to watch.

Yes, the eye will be fixed shortly thank goodness for that!

Regards
Kathy
x

Mine was the silver Fiesta under the coating of orange dust.

I was in olive shorts & t-shirt with my camera and bins around my neck. My wife was wearing a sandy coloured top. I recall there being about 6 or so in the group.

Last edited:
Hi Kathy

Suspect I may have also bumped into your group at Barbate marsh when you were all looking at Caspian Tern and a kind gent trained my scope onto one for me. :)

Hope all goes well with the eye I've had a few problems of late and it's always a worry when it comes to sight.

Mine was the silver Fiesta under the coating of orange dust.

I am sure I remember seeing you now. We all remained in the van unless we where told otherwise.

I did tell Steve that I am Peewit on the Bird Forum, so hopefully we will be in touch. I told him that I will write a report shortly on our trip on BF.

Steve gave OH and I his calling card to keep in touch, so we will no doubt.

Regards
Kathy
x

Hi Kathy

Suspect I may have also bumped into your group at Barbate marsh when you were all looking at Caspian Tern and a kind gent trained my scope onto one for me. :)

Hope all goes well with the eye I've had a few problems of late and it's always a worry when it comes to sight.

Hi Stewart

Great to talk to you Ahh right the Caspian Tern... yes we also brushed shoulders too - it may have been my OH who helped you to see the Caspian Tern. I am sure of that!.

Thank you for your good wishes too about the eye problam and the same applies to you to get your sight back!

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Update:

Will be getting my operation done on December 9th now and i will be so pleased that life will be made easier once more.

Thank goodness for that! :king:

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
I often (meaning weekly or so) refer patients to opthalmologists for a check-up and consecutive cataract surgery. Later I receive their medical journals with details about their visits. Typical expenditure of time is seven or eight minutes for the surgery, quite amazing!

//L

Peewit - Hope all goes as well for you as my operation went for me.

Thank you Geoff for your kind thoughts.

I have been for my surgery today, and the operation was a success - the sight from my right eye if fabulous, and I can watch the TV without my specs :t:

I often (meaning weekly or so) refer patients to opthalmologists for a check-up and consecutive cataract surgery. Later I receive their medical journals with details about their visits. Typical expenditure of time is seven or eight minutes for the surgery, quite amazing!

//L

Interesting bit of information there. It is amazing how things have changed over the years, and 8 mins is no time at all - even though it felt longer in the operation theatre.

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Good to hear you are well Kathy:t:

Just catching up with this Kath - SO glad everything's went well :t:

Thank you Clark and Gill - and everyone else ...the thing that amazed me is that within 5 mins of the operation I could see so much better. Just need to get my glasses sorted now

The eye drops are important for the next month but that is wll worth it to protect from any infections.

All I can say to anyone here on BF blighted by cataracts - get them sorted asap !!!:t:

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Had my right eye done a year ago and the difference was marvellous.
Now the left eye needs doing and the optician says I will have to wait, as I have one good eye the NHS does not recognise me as a priority.
Glad your op went well and hope the eyedrops don`t sting too much.

Had my right eye done a year ago and the difference was marvellous.
Now the left eye needs doing and the optician says I will have to wait, as I have one good eye the NHS does not recognise me as a priority.
Glad your op went well and hope the eyedrops don`t sting too much.

Thank you Geoff

Hi Stranger

I had mine done through the NHS. I had my left eye done in 2006 with no problems to this day

If your eyesight is affecting your day to day life, you should be able to get an operation - I had to wait 3 months to get my operation.
I think an eye test at the optican should settle this for you. I understand that a cataract that to be ripe before anything is done - but in some cases people needs vary, and they need assistance with their visual needs when required

The worst thing about my bad eye was that while I was looking through my binoculars (for years) through my good eye, my bad eye made things very hard to see (due to the bad eye compromising the good eye) - ie a bird in flight hard to follow in any way at all. A bird spec in the distance was impossible to see even through a scope. :eek!:

Now, if I look through my binoculars I look through them with 2 eyes and what a difference...wow and the camera I can see really clearly now without any issues attached with blurs everywhere

If your vision is affecting the use of your optics it needs to be sorted as it spoils a wonderful hobby like birding.

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
I am developing cataracts in both eyes, I am told that I will need the surgery sometime towards the end of 2014.

Hi WMW

I would go to your optican and get an eye test, and some conformation how far developed the cataracts are. An eye test will tell what is going on, and how much your vision has been affected and how much you can really see.

I know from the alphabet chart I struggled after the third line of text on the eye test board - and it was bad! If you drive a car it would affect you badly.!

If that is the case consult your doctor and ask to be added to the list for cataract surgery (the queues can be a few months)

The trouble is that the operation will cover one eye at a time due to any problems that many arise. So it is a safegurard to have one eye done at a time just incase of any complications that may arise.

In my own situation my cataracts where unusual due to the fact they where growing on the outer limits of my eyeball (not the inner eyeball like many people have going on for them). My cataracts where slow growing ones so they would take a while to ripen and they did that! :eek!:

Just check all avenues as cataracts will affect your bird watching, and your use of optics so it is better to deal with them for your own peace of mind (if you work it is more important than ever to get them sorted)

The longer you leave it the worse it gets.

Regards
Kathy
x

Hi Kathy
I did go to the optician, it was her that told me that I could not have it done yet.
My biggest problems are judging distance, especially close up. I think things are closer than they are. This is probably because my glasses can`t cope with the rapid change in my eyes. This causes me problems at work as I manufacture components with a tolerance of 2 microns.
The other problem is night driving, I have had to give up driving at night as I cannot cope with the glare of lights and consider myself a danger to others.
Surprisingly my optician has not told me I can`t drive.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back