• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bill Oddie - are we getting too much of a good thing ? (1 Viewer)

treecreeper

unashamed dude
I've always liked Bill Oddie presenting wildlife programmes but I really feel that we've now reached the point of overkill. He seems to have inherited either Vorderman or Kaplinsky syndrome; he seems to be on our screens all the time ! Is it just me who's now getting embarrassed by it all ?

I loved 'Birding With Bill Oddie' and 'Bill Oddie Goes Wild' but whenever the BBC shows a major programme about British wildlife, Bill is invariably the presenter. I'm sure there are plenty of other talented presenters out there and I feel that the BBC should spread their load more evenly. I like Mike Dilger and feel that he should be given a try. Gordon Buchanan too perhaps ?

I found myself going through the motions tonight and not really watching the programme as I've just became over familiar with Bill and the others. A new face and things might have been different. Anyone else feel the same ?

Tom

Treecreeper,

Be careful what you say on BirdForum there are many Bill Oddie fans amongst us. As TV Diary Secretary he is No.l on my list of presenters to look out for. Just to make you feel worse (sorry) don't forget folks the show is repeated on Sunday.

Ann

Last edited:
treecreeper said:
I've always liked Bill Oddie presenting wildlife programmes but I really feel that we've now reached the point of overkill. He seems to have inherited either Vorderman or Kaplinsky syndrome; he seems to be on our screens all the time ! Is it just me who's now getting embarrassed by it all ?

I loved 'Birding With Bill Oddie' and 'Bill Oddie Goes Wild' but whenever the BBC shows a major programme about British wildlife, Bill is invariably the presenter. I'm sure there are plenty of other talented presenters out there and I feel that the BBC should spread their load more evenly. I like Mike Dilger and feel that he should be given a try. Gordon Buchanan too perhaps ?

I found myself going through the motions tonight and not really watching the programme as I've just became over familiar with Bill and the others. A new face and things might have been different. Anyone else feel the same ?

Tom

Bill's a good thing, but I think his programmes suffer from an ailment common amongst current wildlife programmes; too much presenter, not enough content and too much emphasis on "fluffy".

I saw one or two of the old "Survival" programmes recently. Voice-over rather than presenter on film, 100% wildlife, still exceptional. The modern producer could learn from his or her predecessors to the benefit of the programme.

Oh dear Alan,

I haven't seen it yet I was just hoping for once it wouldn't be all presenters and fluffy, they didn't include gambolling lambs as well did they? There again I suppose they have to cater for all tastes. Most of the public probably only think of Easter and spring as fluffy chickens and gambolling lambs.

Sorry.

Ann

Last edited:
Alan Seaton said:
I saw one or two of the old "Survival" programmes recently. Voice-over rather than presenter on film, 100% wildlife, still exceptional. The modern producer could learn from his or her predecessors to the benefit of the programme.
This part of your post should be mandatory reading for the people at the Beeb!!

A whole hour of Bill Oddie - great. And Simon, just as great.

But why did we have to have MUUUUSIC for Kate's walk-about?

D

To much Bill Oddie ? all the while there's a single soap or football showing there can't be to much Bill.

Mick
PS I left out makeover progs, Pop academy whatever it's called and so called reality shows

What a load of tosh!

We get Bill doing the "How too watch" programmes, and then the "Naturewatch" for the odd hour for a few week within the past year.

I don't see Bill making TV adverts for loans, Currys or DFS. Or appearing at any awards ceremony like Ms Voderman & Kaplinsky seemed to have made a habit of doing .

Bill genuinely loves and more importantly knows what he is taking about and which is more than I can say about the two you have mentioned who seem to accept anything they get offered.

Too much Bill. NO. Too much THE BILL, Coronation st, Emmerdale and other soaps that keep to more or less repeated storylines YES.

I still think Bill's the best wildlife presenter around both knowledgeable and injecting a bit of humour which adds to the entertainment value. Simon King is a close second, whilst a little dryer but just as watchable. Kate, I could well do without as her presentation is too forced and unnatural as if everything is read from an autocue.

IanF said:
I still think Bill's the best wildlife presenter around both knowledgeable and injecting a bit of humour which adds to the entertainment value. Simon King is a close second, whilst a little dryer but just as watchable. Kate, I could well do without as her presentation is too forced and unnatural as if everything is read from an autocue.

Gotta agree with you there

Stewart

:bounce:

I'm afraid I find Bill Oddie extremely irritating, somuchso that I'm unable to watch any show with him in. Its a shame , because some of the content is good. I agree with an earlier poster about there being too much presenter and not enough wildlife nowadays.

I think Chris Packham and Nick Baker are about the best of the 'new' bunch, though David Attenborough is still the Boss!

Ok after my shameless piece of flaming it's now time to re-enter the debate !

I think some people have entirely missed the point I was trying to make, this was NOT a personal attack on Bill Oddie but indeed a criticism of the BBC. I like Bill but feel that the BBC could do with diversifing with regards to natural history programme content and the presenters too. After all, who wants the same meal every day ? Who likes getting the same school subject day after day ? etc.........

Of course, the BBC's agenda with programmes such as these is to attract the everyday person who may not notice wildlife much to take an interest in the natural world, and for that it should be applauded. However, paradoxically, it leaves some of us who are already interested feeling a bit dissatisfied. These programmes will lose viewers in the end if people just see the same old tired format presented by the same people.

Bill is in his element when birdwatching out in the field as his natural enthusiasm really shines through, and this is the format where I like him best. Otherwise I feel he plays up too much to the camera ( or is this what the BBC want ? )

Agree with Ian about Kate Humble; whilst I don't mind her as a presenter, I don't feel her knowledge of wildlife is that great and feel that she is only on for eye candy ( not that I find her particularly attractive anyway ). I feel her presence is an insult to our intelligence.

Tom

im with Ianf - he is a very good presenter, as it is his passion out of work too, his knowledge is true and extremely helpfull.

Bill Oddie teaching you stuff we like, or mind numbing soaps - hmmm....thats not a hard one to decide with!

salty said:
im with Ianf - he is a very good presenter, as it is his passion out of work too, his knowledge is true and extremely helpfull.

So this is what Ian gets up to in his spare time. ;)

I'm with the ''Bill is becoming embarrasing'' crowd, I'm afraid - particularly in the environment of these Nature Watch Style programmes.

(I still haven't come to terms with the image of a grown man putting stickers all over his brand new Ultravids, to be honest - I grew out of stickers when I was at first school !!).

For me he should be out in the field looking a wildlife, where his enthusiasm comes thru, rather than struggling with a laptop in front of a camera in a studio perched next to (as someone's already pointed out) ''eye candy'' that doesn't seem to have the feintest clue about nature.

While we're on the subject, I also find the naming of animals equally toe curling - Dennis the Badger & Polly Wagtail - What's that all about........yuck!

I just think that the limited TV airplay per annum devoted to British Wildlife could be done much better than staring into the ever-present blue-tit nest box week in week out, while listening to presenters twitter on about ''how fluffy they are''.

Of course it's important to encourage the younger generation to take an interest in things around us but these 'all too fluffy' programme put me off watching them - could they not have a similar programme pitched at kids on CBBC for example?

I can see those 3 weeks in May being devoted to badgers, blue-tits & a nation waiting with baited breath to see whether that Pied Wag can successfully raise it's brood..............I think I'll take my bins and head out for the evening instead !

Alan

Last edited:
Right I'm on my soap box, having worked for various organisations trying to encourage the public to take an interest in their surroundings, I have the following views that are not intended to offend!

I think that some people miss the point. Bill Oddie and the blonde one are a natural link to those who might otherwise not watch a nature programme. Remember everyone on here is already converted, there are millions out there who need to be stimulated by 'cuddly' items, or items that they can relate to, like blue tits in a box.

We, the converted, look forward to watching hour long survival specials that the ordinary member of the public may find 'too boring'. As has already been mentioned the vast majority of the public watch mind-numbing junk all week, so need to be introduced gradually.

Any programme(s) that attempt to do this should be appluaded in my opinion whoever the presenter(s). If you have outgrown Bill, choose something else, plenty on Sky, Channel 5 etc most weeks.

Only my opinion!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back