• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon SE 12x50 vs Dodecarem 12x50 (1 Viewer)

bockos

I read that Dodecarem is sharper in the centre than the legendary Nikon SE 12x50 in two posts about comparison between these two binos and also the CA level was lower in the Dodecarems, this is the link of the review with three stars for SE model here:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...il&Q=&sku=150822&is=USA&si=rev#costumerReview
I saw very cheap Dodecarem on ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carl-Zeis...-binoculars-/321869778193?hash=item4af0ef0d11
Which is bettet Nikon SE 12x50 for double the price or this cheaper Dodecarems?
Are there people having opinion with the two binos?
Thanks!

Last edited:
I read that Dodecarem is sharper in the centre than the legendary Nikon SE 12x50 in two posts about comparison between these two binos and also the CA level was lower in the Dodecarems, this is the link of the review with three stars for SE model here:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...il&Q=&sku=150822&is=USA&si=rev#costumerReview
I saw very cheap Dodecarem on ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carl-Zeis...-binoculars-/321869778193?hash=item4af0ef0d11
Which is bettet Nikon SE 12x50 for double the price or this cheaper Dodecarems?
Are there people having opinion with the two binos?
Thanks!

bockos,

I've owned two 12x50 SEs, one early one and one later one. The coatings on the later model were a bit better than the earlier model but both were FMC so the transmission is high.

I have not owned or tried the aus Jena Dodecarem 12x50, but I did own an 8x50 aus Jena Octarem, which looked identical to the Dodecarem and probably had the same MCs. So not quite apples to apples but apples to apple pie.

The Octarem's objectives reflected an reddish orange color. When lighting conditions were poor I noticed a moderate greenish cast on Birch tree bark and other light colored objects. I couldn't notice this on a sunny day.

The SE has a slight reddish cast under low light, so the AR coatings have a different emphasis, with the SE being "warmer."

The Octarem's images were very sharp but turned fuzzy in the outer 15% or so of the FOV. On the night sky this caused a diffused ring around the edges. During the day this wasn't very noticeable, but I did see some light flickering in the EPs when the sun was at a low angle. My entrance pupils could still open to 5.5-6mm, so the objectives really sucked in the photons. When I compared the 8x32 SE to the 8x50 Octarem in low light, it was as if the Octarem had a light attached to it.

The 12x SE is sharp to the edge or nearly so, maybe to the last 5%. No diffused ring and no false pupils or light intrusion into the EPs. But like all the SEs, there is some darkening at the edge and if I moved my eyes quickly to the edge, the image would "black out."

The SE weighed about 32 oz., the Octarem about 45 oz., but the Octarem had better ergonomics for my hands and excellent balance, which made them feel lighter than their actual weight and easier to hold steady than the SE because of their better balance and flat prism bottoms, which provided ample support for my thumbs.

Unlike the 8x and 10x SE where the balance point falls on the prism housing, with the 12x SE, the balance point is on the seam between the prism housing and the barrels right where the barrel widens, so I had to move my hands forward a bit to compensate on the front heavy weight. For day use, handheld, you will probably be able to hold the Dodecarem steadier because of its heavier weight and better balance. For stargazing, I prefer the SE because of the sharper edges and more advanced coatings.

The SE has an adapter you can buy that fits the centerpost. The Octarem, like the Doctor Nobilems, takes an offset adapter you can buy from Doctor. Either way you will need to order a special adapter if you plan to mount them, and they aren't cheap.

Since I have already owned two SEs, I would probably buy the Dodecarem since I liked the Octarems and would find them easier to use handheld than the SEs, and I prefer to hold bins rather than mount them. The aus Jena eyecups fit my face better than the SE's.

The SE does show CA in high contrast situations, I would imagine the Dodecarem would be the same way since neither has ED glass.

Brock

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back