• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (22 Viewers)

Hi all, new to the forum so please be patient with me.
I saw John and the work party on Tuesday, diligent workers as always, then caught site of the official foreman close by, watching over the proceedings! (see attach)
Just wanted to say a big thanks for a wonderful reserve.
Lee Hudson

Attachments

• IMG_1847.jpg
    IMG_1847.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 140
Welcome to the forum Lee

White Wagtail on the shore of Sailing Pool briefly this afternoon as per Paul Rhodes plus 2 Sand Martin

Last edited:
I wonder if the 3 Little Egrets have moved south to the John Bennett reserve. Although the egrets were on the Moors yesterday morning, they were not present on either side of the reserve yesterday afternoon or evening.

Des.

I wonder if the 3 Little Egrets have moved south to the John Bennett reserve. Although the egrets were on the Moors yesterday morning, they were not present on either side of the reserve yesterday afternoon or evening.

Des.

Clearly someone is on the reserve today; perhaps we will get a report as to whether the Little Egrets are present or not

Perhaps we could have their Garganey in return ....

Last edited:
Hi all, new to the forum so please be patient with me.
I saw John and the work party on Tuesday, diligent workers as always, then caught site of the official foreman close by, watching over the proceedings! (see attach)
Just wanted to say a big thanks for a wonderful reserve.
Lee Hudson

Hi Lee
nice shot mate, thanks for your nice words.....I thought for a minute you were gonna say I was watching over them, don't tell them I was eating cake at the time when I was talking to you8-P. john:t:

You're 100% correct.

John - can you clarify if the Shropshire RSPB group are coming on Saturday 25th (the All-dayer) or Sunday 26th
below reply from Andy Harris

Hi John, all my correspondence from the RSPB is for the 26th April. This is indeed the Sunday and not the Saturday as I had written.

Cheers

Andy

Des.

2 little egrets on Amy's marsh this morning per Bobby P.

Des.

Hi Des
I meant to respond to your previous post on this. I think the Little Egret population at John Bennett and neighbouring Gwen Finch reserves is pretty static numbering 3 individuals most days. They just tend to commute between the 2 reserves I think.

Best wishes
Si

We are now getting at the extreme end of the range of dates for LRP returning to the reserve. Arrivals later than today's date comprise 27th March (1994), 30th March (1984 and 1986) and 2nd April (1988).

The only saving grave is that birds appear to be late returning across the county; there has only been one record in Worcestershire so far this year (two birds at Ripple on 22nd March).

Hi Des
I meant to respond to your previous post on this. I think the Little Egret population at John Bennett and neighbouring Gwen Finch reserves is pretty static numbering 3 individuals most days. They just tend to commute between the 2 reserves I think.

Best wishes
Si

Thanks Si. There is obviously a good population of Egrets this winter.

Des.

Thanks Si. There is obviously a good population of Egrets this winter.

Des.

Seems to be Des. Out of interest, we had this individual on JB last November with rings indicating the UK and Ireland Ringing scheme (not a great photo but I think the letter 'T' is visible on the yellow ring). Just wondering if you've had similar ringed individuals at Upton?

Cheers
Si

Attachments

• Little Egret.jpg
    Little Egret.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 81
Seems to be Des. Out of interest, we had this individual on JB last November with rings indicating the UK and Ireland Ringing scheme (not a great photo but I think the letter 'T' is visible on the yellow ring). Just wondering if you've had similar ringed individuals at Upton?

Cheers
Si

The only sighting of a ringed Little Egret on record was one with a yellow ring at the Moors Pool on 30th July 2014.

Cheers
Si

Not as far as I know.

Des.

I know the Phragmities problem at the flashes has been an ongoing issue for some time, but as a thought, we have, here, at the University of Birmingham been trialing this method of weed erradication for some time, with fairly positive results. It may be that the Trust are already aware of it, but just in case I thought I would flag it up. The details are contained within the attached. I think it would work on the Phragmities in the same way as the example given, which is New Zealand Pygmyweed.

Attachments

• Crassula-case-study.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 126
I know the Phragmities problem at the flashes has been an ongoing issue for some time, but as a thought, we have, here, at the University of Birmingham been trialing this method of weed erradication for some time, with fairly positive results. It may be that the Trust are already aware of it, but just in case I thought I would flag it up. The details are contained within the attached. I think it would work on the Phragmities in the same way as the example given, which is New Zealand Pygmyweed.

Cheers CB

I think this (or a version) has been mooted previously; the issue with this method is the collateral damage to salt loving / salt tolerant plants in the same vicinity as the reeds.

I was going to do a long diatribe on the management of reeds, your post may prompt me to complete it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back