• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

100% Crop? (1 Viewer)

Lisa W

I really need to get out and bird more
Staff member
Supporter
United States
I know this has been covered on here before, but can't find the thread - AND didn't quite get it anyway.
Someone just posted in the gallery a 100% crop picture. What does that mean? :h?:
To me if I were to 100% crop a photo, all would be taken away, ie when I crop I am deleting some of the photo, so would not a 100% crop delete everything? I'm sure there is a good explanation, and I will probably look a fool (not uncommon) for asking!|:$|

I think as we found out before that this is open to interpretation. There was quite a debate as to whether the term should be used at all.

For me it means a crop from a full sized image without any resizing. On my 20D a full sized image is 3504x2336 pixels so a crop of 800x600 pixels of that image for web use with no resizing would be 100% - i.e actuals pxels from the full frame. Most often I crop to something like 1600x1200 and resize to 800x600, but occasionally with distant subjects they're so small in the frame that a straight 800x600 crop is all I can do.

Here's the main thread where it's been discussed previously if you want to peruse - http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=92172

Lisa, I am not totally sure whether this is right. The way I try to get a 100% crop for the web is to zoom in to the photo until it says 100% or 1.1 then use the marque tool to pick 800 pixels on the longest side and move the box to get the frame I want and then just crop, this gets rid of the unwanted bits I don't want. I think this is what people mean when they say a 100% crop.

Last edited:
Ian, thanks. What you said makes perfect sense and when I've done that I say I've resized the photo for the web - no cropping.
Christine - I also understand what you said. I do that all the time to get rid of the unwanted bits of the picture. Then I just say that I've cropped it, has never made sense to me to call that a 100% crop.
Sounds like the old saying - Different strokes for different folks.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back