• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Owl ID Help Please... (1 Viewer)

MUHerd

Hey all,

I just came in from the garage and it is right at 5 AM CST. It is still dark outside.
As I was in the garage I started hearing a distinct OWL sound, or what I believed to be an OWL sound. I have heard these sounds several times previous, but have never actually saw the bird that made them. Another occupant in the house tells me that they SAW a very large owl on 2 earlier occasions. The couldn't ID it and couldn't give any identifying colors. It was perched on the fence around the back yard and was in late evening.

The sounds I am hearing are in a distinct pattern, every time. There are 4 tones that come out each time it "speaks." The first two notes are together, like hoo-hoo, each about 1/2 second apart then the same sound will come in only that this time they will be separated by a second or so. Like this:
Hoo.Hoo........hoo........Hoo.

It will stop after the 4th note and will start again in no pattern. It could happen again 10 seconds after a complete call like I showed above, or it could take 3 minutes to happen again.

I'd love to see this Owl to better ID what is happening, but I highly doubt it would be observable right now, in the dark.

If you can help with an ID, please do so.

I thank you for your time and help.
Have a good Sunday.

MUHerd

Could be Great Horned Owl, called described as "You awake? Me too". Its deep and slow, can be far reaching. Try Xeno - Canto for bird calls.
P

. . .I just came in from the garage and it is right at 5 AM CST. It is still dark outside.
As I was in the garage I started hearing a distinct OWL sound, or what I believed to be an OWL sound. I have heard these sounds several times previous, but have never actually saw the bird that made them. Another occupant in the house tells me that they SAW a very large owl on 2 earlier occasions. The couldn't ID it and couldn't give any identifying colors. It was perched on the fence around the back yard and was in late evening.

The sounds I am hearing are in a distinct pattern, every time. There are 4 tones that come out each time it "speaks." The first two notes are together, like hoo-hoo, each about 1/2 second apart then the same sound will come in only that this time they will be separated by a second or so. Like this:
Hoo.Hoo........hoo........Hoo.

It will stop after the 4th note and will start again in no pattern. It could happen again 10 seconds after a complete call like I showed above, or it could take 3 minutes to happen again.

Great Horned Owl. Your description of the call is spot on.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back