• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Extreme mist-netting (1 Viewer)

I first saw this method described in Eliot McClure's classic book.

Watching the video reminded me of the technique I use for Phalaropes - can't think why. The net is submerged under the water surface of a pool with bird or birds, and lifted out when one or more swims over it, the pole holders moving toward one another to make a hanging bag in the net.

Another use for a horizontal mobile net is catching Jack Snipe, or for birds like larks roosting in stubble or short vegetation. It works - I have a Jack Snipe recovery from Lancs. to N. Ireland to prove it :)

Or the other alternative is to lift the net out of the water, as we did to catch an unwanted Black-throated Diver on an inland fishing lake.

Two friends told me how they walked with a mist-net to catch Dippers over small streams in N Poland in freezing cold winter.

But they had only one pair of wellies between them. So, as they moved along, occassionally one had to carry another to the other shore. Crossing the slippery stream, only marginally shallower than the boots is not easy, much less carrying another bloke and lots of birding gear. So occassionally they slipped and there were lots of combinations. Sometimes, they both got wet. Sometimes, the lower one dropped the boot-less friend into the freezing water. Sometimes, the upper one made a jump to the shore, pushing the other down into water...

NicoleVG - it is pretty easy to untangle them given their long wing length. The only problem is if they go through several baskets.

John - The size of the mist nets were 38mm.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back