• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sinharaja 2005 (1 Viewer)

PAUL WILLIAMS

I am planning to be on the West Coast of Sri Lanka with my family in early September 2005 and would like to visit the Sinharaja rain forest for a couple of days and have seen that many tours use the Blue Magpie Lodge as a base, I have not however been able to find any information on the internet on the lodge and wondered if any members of the forum could help with this.

Am going there next week :))) and although I do not plan to stay at the Blue Magpie Lodge, I will let you know how I get on.

PS welcome to the Forum. Plug in Sri Lanka into the forum search and some useful info will pop up for you

Hi Paul

I haven't heard of this lodge at all

I visited Sinharaja in August for 5-6 days and stayed at Martin's Place - the birders favourite. Martin's is right on the spot and quite comfortable. The food is excellent too and the whole thing is very good value. It's extremely relaxing sitting on his large open verranda eating a few curries.

Sri Lanka Frogmouth occurs at night and I was fortunuate enough to locate a pair of Chestnut-backed Owlets very close by. Spot-winged Thrushes occur in the garden along with Sri Lanka Junglefowl and if you're lucky Ceyon Scaly Thrush too. The verranda is a great place for spotting parrots, sunbirds, flowerpeckers and others, etc...

atb
Tim

Fully agree with Tim, Martin's is the place to stay in Sinharaja, I stayed there whilst on honeymoon and it was idyllic. Scored the only Dollarbird and Needle tailed Swifts of the trip there, enjoy.

PAUL WILLIAMS said:
I am planning to be on the West Coast of Sri Lanka with my family in early September 2005 and would like to visit the Sinharaja rain forest for a couple of days and have seen that many tours use the Blue Magpie Lodge as a base, I have not however been able to find any information on the internet on the lodge and wondered if any members of the forum could help with this.

I have seen the Blue Magpie Lodge mentioned in itineraries and get the impression that it is a new place, just outside the main forest, and so more accessible than Martin's. which I think you have to walk to (Tim will know if this is still the case).

Martin's I think you have to take your own food and they cook it for you (is this still right Tim?). Maybe the Blue Magpie will provide food???

When I went to Sinharaja we travelled from Ratnapura, which is too far away, though I see some firms still do that on commercial trips.

Steve

Martin's is accesible by 'road' now. Easily drivable. It's a few kms walk uphill otherwise but good birding on the way.

Martin cooks excellent and large Sri Lankan Curries - five dishes to each curry usually, plus buckets of rice... very nice indeed

Tim Allwood said:
Martin cooks excellent and large Sri Lankan Curries - five dishes to each curry usually, plus buckets of rice... very nice indeed

Reminds me of the first morning there, we were given toast by Martin and on the table was a jar with what looked like marmalade in it. So I spread it on the toast & took a bite, and nearly choked, it was hot mango chutney!!!.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back